1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who needs a truck, the Prius will haul it all!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dorunron, May 20, 2014.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started a project on May 12, 2014. It is a new flower bed in the front yard. The inside perimeter of this bed measures 33 feet in circumference. It has a exterior wall that consists of limestone blocks. Each block weighs 15 pounds and the corresponding cap on top of the tiers weighs 12 pounds.
    I limited my weight factor to 450 max at first as I did not want to get close to full capacity. I found I was spending a lot of time going back and forth to the home center for the material. I stretched out heavy thick terry cloth towels through out the back end and also had the seats folded down at one point.

I successfully moved all of the limestone in three days time and arranged the stones accordingly to make a circle. Making the circle round was a feat in itself as the root system is abnormal in relation to the trunk of the tree. I ended up making a tool that had a level on it, a heavy string with a heavy nut (plump bob) to locate the blocks around the perimeter of the tree. The tool worked very well in laying out the blocks as well as showing exactly how to set the inside corners of each block to make the circle work out and be uniform around the tree.

There are 66 blocks and 33 caps on this bed that are limestone. All material was hauled with the Prius. To fill the circle I have so far placed three barriers inside to contain all of the soil mix. I have added at this time 800 pounds of top soil, 160 pounds of composted cow manure, and nine cubic feet of peat moss. Presently the circle is close to the top but not full. It is approximately three to four inches to where I want to be when I start planting. I went today and picked up more supplies. I also returned a few extra blocks and caps that were not needed for the project. I now have an additional 400 pounds of top soil, 40 pounds of composted cow manure, and three "Two Cubic Feet" of Miracle Gro Flower and Vegetable soil. I will use the Miracle Grow on the top layer. Once the plants are in the mix, I will mulch the whole bed with a layer of brown Cypress mulch.

I realize this post is about a flower bed, however it is also about the fact that our Gen III Toyota Prius hauled everything with no problems whatsoever. I calculated the weight of the material on each load and allowed for passengers. I only exceeded the 800 pound limit one time by 40 pounds. The Prius never whimpered. I am posting a picture of the bed for reference purpose and a picture of the Prius loaded down with the load that I hauled today. I also had the back seats up and had towels spread out on the seats. On top of the seats were various potted plants that the wife had bought.

So with all that said, don't forget your Prius can be used to haul stuff. Just pay attention to weight limits and protect the interior.

Ron (dorunron)

DSC01605.JPG

DSC01606.JPG

DSC01549.JPG

Redpoint5, SageBrush, ibmoses and 5 others like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well done sir! (y)

If I were to take on a project like yours, I'd have to stock up on one more item... Beer! :p :D

SCH-I535

sfv41901, Dtronic and dorunron like this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've carried bathtubs, pallets of slate tile, many tens of bags of cement, 2x10x10ft lumber and lots more. Most recently I carried 4 APC UPS's. 2 were 160lbs each and 2 were 200lbs each. Significantly loaded the rear suspension, but it works just fine. The torquey Prius is a perfect tool.

acceleraptor and dorunron like this.
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many back-and-forth hauling trips will you have made in total for this project by the time it's completed?

5. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just recently loaded mine with 10 bags of mulch.

I've done a similar project to what you've done there, and I rented a home depot truck for $25 because it would hace taken me over 6-7 trips with my old 3 series wagon. For me, it was cheaper for the truck compared to the fuel cost for that many trips.

dorunron and KennyGS like this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have never had to take 2 trips for my stuff. The Prius carries more than most trucks all while being covered on the inside instead of being carried around outside.

dorunron likes this.
  7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Go Prius, go Prius. It's a hauling machine, capable of hauling a lot of sh... stuff. We sold our '97 Tocoma pickup last year after fourteen years of ownership. I've had several occasions to load mine up when needed. Just need to be careful to prevent mishaps and damage.

Dtronic and dorunron like this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kenny,

If memory serves me correctly, I have made about nine or ten trips over there. Each way is 6.9 miles. I filled the Prius fuel tank last on 5/10 according to my fuelly records. DTE shows 125 miles and I am on three pips. Just about all of this tank has been city driving, and a lot of it in heavy stop and go with A/C running. Average 51 according to the computer IIRC. Finally saw over 10 MPH with EV mode on. I did not know it would go faster once it warmed up (S4 mode). I think I was able to get up to 24 MPH before it would kick off.

The Prius does great. The suspension is not built for heavy loads. Some of the bumps on the road were bottoming it out on the last trip. I did not fold down the back seats as I had small plants and bushes loaded up there. With the back seats down you can load a whole lot more of stuff AND distribute the weight more evenly over all four wheels rather than the rear end.

Ron

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had asked about a truck to rent. Lowes does not do that unlike Home Depot. Delivery fee would have been $79. I elected to move the stuff myself. I don't mind the trips, gives me a chance to drive the Prius! I might have used a whole three gallons of fuel, but I think it is more along the lines of two...

Ron

10. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotcha. As long as it worked out in your benefit, that's all that matters.

I've only had my car 3 weeks now, and it's hauled a lot of gardening stuff.

But when it comes to the heavier items, I'll still use my truck or a rental depending on the load.

I rented a home depot flat bed when I picked up tile and supplies for my kitchen from a supplier. It was a 1900lb pallet so I did not want to use my truck for it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beautiful! we haul a lot of landscape stuff as well. let's see it when you're all planted, all the best!(y)

12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am fortunate to own a large pickup that tallies 2500-5000 miles per year. Having a large property with buildings, fences, gardens, etc. , I've had it loaded to over 5 tons on a weight scale with stone, or just some firewood from a tree I cut down, etc.

So I would never need to use my beautiful Prius for anything heavier than passengers and their shopping bags. But it's great to know it can be loaded down more if needed. Thanks for showing me its real capabilities.

13. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This can't be good on wheel bearings/suspension....

Manhal K Alrashdan and orenji like this.
  14. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This past winter we stocked up on some wood pellets at Tractor Supply on sale - used the wife's 2010 Matrix and my 2013 Prius C to haul them home - 50 bags at 40lb/bag. Made 2 trips - the 1st was 15 bags each vehicle and then 10 each the second. The little Prius did a great job - was only a 6 mile trip to home but would not have had reservations about going farther. Just payed attention to how I needed to enter traffic, approach traffic signals etc with the extra weight on board and had no problems.

dorunron likes this.
  15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    bisco,

Just now finished filling it with the soil. I topped it off with the "Miracle Grow" Flower and Vegetable Soil. I figure it will take at least two days to plant it, and then a day to mulch it and let it all settle in. I will photograph completed bed before planting and then after planting and mulch and will post an update. Plants to be planted at this time. Back row: Iris, DayLillies, Tall Grasses, Society Garlic. Center Row: Red, Yellow, and White Begonias. Outer perimeter: small low to the ground "ground cover" or short flowering annuals.

Also have some Spider Lilly Bulbs I am considering. Thinking about scattering them through out the bed randomly.

Biggest project I have done yet. The front yard is looking GREAT!

Ron

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At one ton, I would not use my truck either. Well worth a delivery fee. When hauling stuff, everyone has to consider net and gross weight. It doesn't matter if it is a Prius or a 18 wheeler. Weight is critical.

Ron

orenji likes this.
  17. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I keep both a tarp and a moving blanket in the cargo area. 800lbs isn't too different from 3-4 full-grown adult passengers + whatever the weight of the cargo bulk might be, so doesn't sound unrealistic. :)

MSA14 likes this.
  18. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My fire extinguisher bizness mod carry fire extgs. around all day everyday

Attached Files:

usnavystgc and dorunron like this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still remember your first post here asking about whether the Prius would handle your loads. Glad to see it is working out for you!

Ron

acceleraptor and Markee like this.
  20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: Started planting this morning 5/21. Worked about three hours until it started to get hot outside. I tire fairly easily now. Since I retired back in 2007 I don't get a lot of exercise. You might say that this bed has been a blessing to me in more than one way. I am definitely going to "reap what I am sowing". I will take another photo after I finish the initial planting and post it for everyone to see. It is really beginning to shape up. So far I have planted Iris in the back close to the tree. In between the Iris I have planted Society Garlic. In front of the back row, I am spacing out Begonias. I have about 48 plants that I can set out. On the street side I have a Yellow Day Lilly in the front. Behind and to each side I have two different types of Blue and Blue/Black Salvia. On each side of the Salvia I am going to plant some Cape Aurora Kangaroo Paw. On the outer perimeter I am planning to plant some low growing flowers that look like Petunias. I saw a big urn of them today at Lowes. My wife bought two starter plants earlier this spring and has them growing in a planter out front also. They look beautiful. I am going to try to find the "purple" or "blue" ones and line the outer perimeter with them. I am hoping in the end that something will always be blooming as the seasons pass. Plus a lot of the stuff I am planting is perennials. That will save money and time next spring after winter is over. Once all of the above is placed in the ground, I am going to search for some clearance plants/flowers to fill in the gaps for a nice visual effect. Tonight was real special. I hooked up a set of portable speakers that normally would run on a computer to my smart phone. Played my mp3 files over the speakers in the front yard. Had it just loud enough so it could be heard but not carry over to the neighbors houses. We sat out on the front porch in the glider and enjoyed our dinner while gazing at the solar lights and the front yard as the twilight began. Very special moment... Peace everyone! Ron

ftl likes this.