1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who owns the oldest model of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RAAVAN, Jan 16, 2014.

1. RAAVAN

RAAVAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just wanted to know who have the oldest model of Prius? I have 2004 and what model you guys have?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't have said a 2004 was the oldest. There are still a handful of the original Prius selling over here in the UK. The oldest one I've seen was an early 1998 model.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's because UK, New Zealand and Australia, which all drive on the left-side of the road, is a market for Japan domestic vehicles which are being retired by their Japanese owners. Hence a few of the original Prius with D-cell format batteries have ended up in those countries instead of being scrapped.

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's true Patrick. There aren't many of these original ones left as the old battery pack has died and parts are difficult or at least not cost effective to source.

I'd love to get my hands on an early 1998 model if I have the ability to have the battery pack repaired/replaced. The car would then be good for at least another 5-10 years or so. These early ones will be a future class I think.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you need a very time-consuming hobby, a car like that would be OK.

I think the original NHW10 Prius, intended only for the Japan domestic market (prior to 2001 model year), would be very difficult to maintain because:

1) the diagnostic system is not standard OBD-II (apparently you need a very special Japan-specific format code reader)
    2) the MFD display is in the Japanese language so unless you can interpret those characters, the MFD messages will be useless
    3) there is no NHW10 service literature in the English language so you will have to extrapolate from the NHW11 service docs or get a translation of the Japanese language docs.

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly. That's why they're dying off over here whereas the early NHW11's are still to be found. It's also why one would be a future class; the beginning of mainstream hybrids.

Perhaps I should buy a good condition, non running one with a failed HV battery for £200 and store it for a few years. I think it sad that these original cars are likely to disappear quickly. The ones that are still running are still demanding a premium price;

Toyota Prius 1.5 VVTi Hybrid 4dr Auto

Easily identifiable as an NHW10 here due to the Japanese sized rear licence plate, compared to the larger European ones.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd like to know why the OP has their vehicle listed as a 2004 Persona :confused:

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It might be a model option from Malaysia or somewhere, but as hardly anyone actually bothers to fill in the Country section, we all have to guess :)

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know where they are from Grumpy by their IP and that in itself has me watching the thread/user a bit, but besides that, the Persona was basically a 'special edition' which came out for the Gen III in 2013. There was no Gen II Persona which is yet another reason it interests me, or the Mod in me... ;)

2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series - Black Cherry Pearl - Photos | PriusChat

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another identification method is that there is no rear spoiler on the trunk.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a good question tho. i would like to know who owns the earliest model, but they might not be a pchat member.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More likely someone from Australia, New Zealand or the UK and Ireland.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For anyone who is seriously considering purchase of an 1997-2000 model year NHW10, I suggest that you join this Yahoo group:
    Yahoo Groups

It would be good for you to see the variety of technical issues that arise and what actions are taken by group members to resolve those issues.

Again, please do not underestimate the difficulty of fixing highly complex technical issues when 1) you don't have the ability to read DTC produced by the car's ECUs and 2) you do not have a comprehensive English-language guide to what the DTC even mean and what to do about them.

There are many detail differences between NHW10 and NHW11 (2001-2003 model years), although they share a common exterior appearance.

I think of the NHW11's development as being one step above a science experiment. The NHW10 development is at the science experiment level, so don't expect a trouble-free ownership experience if you should buy one of those.

14. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spotted a pre '00 model here in Dublin recently. I cannot remember exactly what year though... just thought to myself, you don't see that model very often

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are they different than the 01, 02, 03's? i see quite a few of those around here and they usually look almost new.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 1997 - 2000 model year Prius (NHW10) are quite different than the 2001 - 2003 NHW11 Prius although cosmetically they look similar. The traction battery is weaker, the gasoline engine has some minor differences, and all instrumentation is in Japanese since it was intended solely for the JDM.

bisco likes this.
  17. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
  18. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked that up earlier, it doesn't go back far enough fir the Prius

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It won't be, as despite going back to 1995 it only shows the year of the actual UK registration, not the year of make. A grey import will usually arrive when around 5-8 years old and thus will apply in the 2005 (or thereabouts) stats.

The Sorn records only go back to 2007 so it's hard to tell how many are registered but unused. It appears 245 Prii are Sorned and I bet a fair few of those will be older cars.