1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who says a Prius is a waste of Money??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BIGGDOGG, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok I just joined Prius Chat, and I just filled up my tank for the 4th time so I now did the math.
    33.762 gallons consumed 1300 miles on the car = 38.5 mpg.
    Now I know it seems bad compared to the rest, but it is really cold here in northern NJ. I also did the math compared to the car I used to own (nissan Pathfinder) I have had my Prius since Nov 12, 2007. filled it up 4 times (not even on empty) I would have filled up my pathfinder 8 times in that period and would have put in around 16 gal each time. To cut things short I save roughly $275.10 every 2 months, thats 1650.60 a year. I had the pathfinder for 8 yrs so If I have the prius for 10 yrs (and I will) I should be close to what I payed for it. (this is counting my trade in and assuming my MPG goes up in warmer weather). So I don't care what anyone says to me about the prius being a waste. I Bought it because I love everything about it, not because people think its a fad.

Does anyone else have anything to say about how it saved them money?

Oh yeah and once I get a warm day or two I will be installing mud flaps, shark fin antenna and some tint.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the more 'credible' reports saying hybrids don't save money over 5 years of ownership came from Consumer Reports, April 2006 car report. They had a few assumptions though:
    1) compared the Prius to the base Corolla, which is arguable and obviously different from your Pathfinder.
    2) accidentally included "hybrid premium" twice, which they corrected (quietly) in their online edition, so the Prius did save a slight amount of money
    3) assume the hybrids have worse-than-average resale value, which their own research is showing to not be true, but many detractors still stick by that.
    4) assume gas prices "rising to $3/gallon, and then $4/gallon", which sounded scary enough in the beginning of 2006, but they failed to mention their math used gas prices of $2/gallon for the first 3 years. So far, they're proving to be under-estimated significantly here: 2006 averaged about $2.57/gallon and 2007 was $2.79/gallon (according to a recent article from the AP). It's looking like 2008 will average $3/gal (if we're lucky), who knows what 2009 and 2010 will bring.

3. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just read an Australian article where the writer quoted reports from the NRMA and RACV (the major two automobile associations in Australia) where they compared the running cost of the Prius with that of a Camry - so comparing similar sized vehicles. The report takes into account depreciation and all running costs in its comparison with the result that over a five year period they come out much the same, and from then on, the Prius is saving money.

Note, however, that this is using Australian costs - petrol at $1.50 per litre, and the cost of the car at $37,400 for the Prius and $29,990 for the Camry.

Full article:
    http://wimmera.yourguide.com.au/det...=innovation&story_id=1153753&category=science

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi BIGGDOGG and welcome to PC!!

Your reported mileage will definately go up!! The car has about a 5000 mile breaking period, and you need to become more accustomed to driving it. In addition, the cold weather is have an adverse affect as you pointed out. I'm glad you like your car. I've had mine since July '06 and I look forward to driving it every day!!

You may want to consider an EBH. That would really help with your cold weather mileage, especially first thing in the morning!!:cool:

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting read.
    I found these sentences which caught my eye,

HERTZ invested more than $10 million in a fleet of 300 Toyota Priuses, primarily because its customers wanted them...

... marketing director, Wayne Burgoyne, says it is one of their most popular rentals: "A lot of our customers were asking for it, ...

"The whole corporate sector is really developing a conscience and becoming quite green."
    "Some of our corporate customers are renting this car instead of a full-sized Falcon or an Aurion. Obviously it's our customers that pay for petrol, not us, but petrol prices are certainly one of the drivers.

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's colder here, and my numbers have never been that low.

Don't warm up the car in the driveway. Get in and drive it.

Anticipate traffic lights and make a strong effort to get off the gas just as soon as possible. The more coasting you do, the better your mpg's.

I drove the car in a snowstorm a couple of days ago, with wind, and still got over 47 mpg.

Harry

7. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you everybody. RangerDavid, I live in a apartment so a EBH is a little out of the question, I am still reading up ways like covering the grill and I probably will be giving those a try at some point.
    Earthling, Thank you for your input as well, I do leave my car running for a couple min everymorning before I head out to work. I will try getting in and just driving for the rest of this tank (which is full) and then I will see how my mileage is.
    And I know that my math about cost and my pathfinder might have been off a little. It is cause I just estimated that When I owned it I filled it up everyweek so 2 months equal 8 fillups. I did not calculate mileage for the pathfinder.
    Thank you all. I can't wait for warmer weather when I can actually clean and wax my car. (I don't trust the car wash places)

8. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ... and a BT plate and new seat covers and a subwoofer and floormats and an engine block heater and fancier wheels and Tom's struts and an MFD hood and an EV switch and a Lockpick and . . . there goes all your savings.

At least that's what's happening to me.

9. sulman

sulman Introspectator

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes...the old "We are Green" advertising mantra. We wouldn't say it, if we didn't want you to believe it.

Unfortunately, Hertz operates a fleet of 478,000 vehicles. While it may be a start, 300 Prii isn't even a dent. Maybe less than 1/10 of one percent?

How much do you think they spent on gas guzzlers?

10. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, those 300 are in Australia. I venture that Hertz doesn't have nearly so many cars there. It's probably a sizable purchase in comparison to the Aussie Hertz fleet.

One does wonder how many Prii are in the major car rental company fleets in America.

11. sulman

sulman Introspectator

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah yes. I think you are right...300 in Australia (although that point is not clear from the article).

I found another article saying they are buying 3400 for their US fleet...So that's about one percent of their US fleet...not too bad, but still only a small start.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/06/hertz_adding_34.html

I'm curious as to how many sub 20 mpg vehicles they added.

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I found interesting was that people are asking for them.

Remember Prius is a pretty expensive car here, a base model being $7400 more than a base Camry. Most car hire companies in Australia deal with base model vehicles unless you get into prestige cars so for Hertz Australia to be hiring the Prius out for less than the Camry, remembering Hertz do not get the benefit of great mileage, is pretty amazing.
    PS, I used Hertz hire cars for 2 out of 3 visits to the UK, both cars were very economical models, a Vauxhall Meriva and a VW Polo, both were excelent cars, the Polo had a 1.2 litre engine and sat at 80mph on the motorway easy.

13. sulman

sulman Introspectator

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find it interesting that Hertz keeps the average vehicle for only 9 months (10 in the US). They alone are turning over half million vehicles annually. The entire industry must be turning over millions annually.

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They have connections with the manufacturers and are able to negotiate such good prices to get a makers cars in their fleet that a short turn around minimises the depreciation and cost of the vehicle to the hire company.

When I did my apprenticeship with the South Australian Highways Department we sold fleet cars after 40,000km or 1.5 years, because the government paid no federal sales tax on the new cars and there was no federal sales tax on used cars, the cars were sold at a profit! That was too expensive so now they lease their cars???

15. sulman

sulman Introspectator

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Connections? Yahoo! GM owned Hertz. Then Ford owned Hertz. I'll say they have connections.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice quote out of context, what is your point?

17. sulman

sulman Introspectator

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm just emphasizing your point about the connections.

You are spot on...it is all about cost of ownership. They wouldn't be buying the Prii if they were losing money when they turned them over nine months down the road.

I think it's a good thing that Ford had to sell Hertz (for financal reasons). Now instead of Ford influencing which cars Hertz rents, perhaps Hertz can influence which cars Ford sells.

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hire company ownership is a great way to add volume to production by stocking a high turnover business with most of its cars. I think that's why struggling car manufacturers buy hire car companies.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's been putting a real dent in your MPGs. You could have driven a mile or more in those couple minutes, right? Just start it up and go.

Tire pressures of 42/40 PSI front/rear also improve MPGs noticeably. Whatever you use remember to check them at least monthly.

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fear not, re your calculations.

First, the Pathfinder -needs- premium gas. Mine did. I called it the anti-Prius. It was a 2001 LE 4WD.

Second the Pathfinder burns 14 l/100 km summer and 17 l/100 km winter. My Prius burns 4.3 l/100 km summer and so far 6.5 l/100 km winter. I have a block heater (called EBH by those in non-block heater country - a little superfluous as all practical automotive block heaters are electric) but I don't bother to use it, as I can't predict when I'll be driving my car.

Third, I find my Prius has more usable room than the Pathfinder ever did. Easier to drive, easier on gas, more adaptable interior.

Hey, the oil company rear end kissers need -something- to say to try to diss hybrids! They're trying, VERY trying.