1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who takes care of you?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Somechic, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously.

In the past couple of weeks, I have encountered people well into their 20s and 30s who seem to have no idea about 'common' things.

The most recent memorable instance: A 25-year-old co-worker didn't realize there was an "extra tire" in the trunk of her 2-year-old Saturn.

Have you encountered these types of people?
    How do stupid people get by in life? Is it the kindness of strangers?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can tell you from experience that no one takes care of me though people seem all too eager to let me know when I've fallen short on something. Talking with my wife a few weeks ago, we both realized that we live our lives in constant fear of messing up or being shown a mistake we've made. It's that "productive anxiety" perhaps that keeps us moving and progressing.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't ask for assistance when I need it. Matt and Wayne helped install my EV button.

I'm going to have to really think about bone-headed things and people I've encountered.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, i know plenty of people like that. it gives people in my age group a bad name (i'm 23 and have been self sufficient for around 6 years)

it really drives me nuts- for example last tax season i was talking about how to file for education credits and mentioned that you have to use the full 1040. one girl pipes up, "what's a 1040?"

gah!!!! :smacks hand against forehead:

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A perfect example:
    I was called to assist a woman at a gas station who was locked out of her car. I arrived assesed the situation she was driving a linclon navigator. sure enough the keys where in the ignition, I asked her if she knew they where in the ignition she replied yes she always leaves them there and just uses the door opener thingy to unlock the doors but the battery was dead so it wouldnt open the door... I asked to see the key fob she gave it to me and behold there was a door key hanging from the ring I opened the door and started her vehicle. she was very embarassed, she then advised shes always had a fob to open the doors and never used a key..... I thought man she shouldnt be driving...

5. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work in the media business and on a daily basis we read different rate cards. On various rate cards, it is important to differentiate between NET and GROSS rates. At times this can be frustrating as it's not noted anywhere on the rate card.

I was just speaking to a co-worker about billing a client the NET amount. We were going back and forth for about 10 minutes before she just blankly looks at me and says, "What's the difference between NET and GROSS?"
    This is a person who has well over 30 years expereince in advertising and media industries and has been working in this office for 2 years. Everyone, including her, has used these terms when discussing rates. When she asked me I just looked at her and asked if she was serious. She admitted that she had no idea what, if any difference there was.
    I just walked away.

How has this woman had a job in a media/advertising industry without knowing the difference?

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 26 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]245453[/snapback]</div>
    Just assume everyone else is an idiot, you're right, and that's that, end of story, and all will be well. Sure, some percentage will think you're an utter a-hole, but the positives far outweigh the negatives....

:lol:

You can't peg people as idiots for this type of thing... (not YOU Tony, this post fusion thing is weird)

A lot of this crap is soooo minor, it slips right by conscious thought.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Apr 26 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]245675[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe you could have helped her instead. Maybe she was scared to ask because she thought she would embarass herself in front of a co-worker. But did you take the chance to help? No, you made her feel even worse. Good job! If I was there I'd give you a pat on the back... or is that a slap to the back of the head, sorry, I don't know the difference.

Not to single you out, but not everyone out there is a genius. Everyone has their stong and weak points. Next time you see someone getting frustrated, offer to help. If someone saks you a question, answer it and don't be a smart nice person. No helps anyone by doing that.

Whether it is a sheltered life, ignorance, or inexperience, laughing at them, walking away, or deriding them does no good.

Now I'm not saying I haven't made fun of stupid peole before, we all have. But there is s difference between a criminal throwing a brick at bullet-proof glass and knocking himself out when it bounces back (funny!) and a co-worker asking for help (not funny).

Darwin Award winners are stupid, not knowing what a 1040 is is not. I'm 32 and I have never done my taxes. I never will either. I know what a 1040 is, but that's it. I'm not bothered to figure it out, that's what CPA's are for.

As for a spare tire? Well, my wife knows there is one in the back of her Volvo somewhere, but she would be completely clueless as to what to do with it. And I guarantee she is far more intelligent than most everyone here. She simply hasn't ever had to change a spare. That's what AAA is for. Is changing a tire "common sense?" Maybe for you, but maybe not for someone else. Maybe they've just had really god luck and have never had a flat. Come to think of it, I don't really even know where the spare is in the Volvo. Is it under the cargo cover or under the car itself? Where is the jack? Don't know. Haven't had to find out, so I haven't checked. But I cetainly don't lack automotive experience.

As for the keyless entry, well that is pretty dumb. It wasn't too long ago that you had to use keys to open and start cars. I remmeber when you had TWO keys for a car. One for the door and one for the ignition. Now I drive a car with NO keys! You think it's pretty silly to not remember about the key, but how many times have we read posts about valets leaving the car on or not being able to start the car and so on. Seems like common sense to me. I can start my Prius with my eyes closed. Why can't others?

Ayway, just think twice before you deride someone. There will likely be a situation that you encounter at some point where you will be lost. And if you're lucky there will be a nice person there to explain it to you...

8. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My original question is, who takes care of you? I'm not calling anyone stupid.

In the first example with the spare tire, she has been taken care of by her parents, for too long. I have no idea if she ever had a flat tire before or if she had AAA take care of it. And even if she did have AAA take care of it, wasn't she observing what they were doing? Or at least where they got the spare tire?

In the second instance, I could have helped my co-worker. She should have admitted outright she didn't know the difference BEFORE engaging me in a 10-minute conversation about it. If she would have said something like, "I'm not sure what the difference is here, can you help me...." I would have explained it. Given the fact she didn't admit it, I don't feel bad for walking away. In my opinion, she's be 'taken care of' by lazy employers. Good or bad, that's got to be the answer.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No one takes care of me. I'm single and have to take care of myself. However I do have a support system to ask for help when I need it. And I better need it of I will be made to feel stupid.

I have my parents and siblings. My Father taught us all that we better either have enough money to pay someone to do what we need or we better learn to do it ourselves. We all own homes. None of us are rich. We all swap methods, techniques and sweat equity.

There is a certain Darwinism mentality though. Recently a flourescent light ballast burned out in the school library and I sent the monitors and technician to the office, opened up the doors and windows and turned the fans on full blast, posted signs the library was closed and sent out an emergency e-mail to all saying not to enter the library due to the chemical smell in the air. I had already closed off my office door to the library so I stayed and worked. Several times during the day I look through my office door window to find a teacher wandering the library. Yep, they knew it was closed, why and still they came in. One teacher did it a second time even after I warned her.

Now I know why people enter houses tented for termites or drive the wrong way around the barriers for train crossings.

10. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have always been very independent so I am quite adept at taking care of myself most of the time...

of course there are a large number of stupid folks in the world- look at everyone buying SUVs and Hummers and then there are those who drive are speeds far above the speed limit.........
    also another group of those of us who are older and have forgotten the gas crisis in the 70's.....

11. dsunman

dsunman New Member

Totally on my own for ages, I do admit that I used let my parents to have their say on some witty occasions, I saw how it gave them tiny pleasure of having some sort of elderly wisdom for me to conform.

On my last hiking spree in the Adirondacks, I bumped into 2 guys that looked like body-builders, one had biceps like my freaking torso, poor guys where lost on 'the trail', I'm not kidding! They told me that their cell-phones didn't work and the battery from GPS died. I was so amused by them, they almost literally cried! I told them chill out boys, just follow the freaking trail, it's not like you're in the middle of the woods somewhere in Labrador. 4 hours later I bumped into 3 teenage girls backpacking on the same trail and the girls asked me if by any chance I have seen freaked out 30+ old looking guys asking for the directions. I said YEAH, indeed. The girls were giggling about it and so was I.

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 26 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]245699[/snapback]</div>
    AMEN Doc!!!!!

Being scientific in mind I've had to accept the empirical evidence of 50 years and recognize that the stupidest person I consistently encounter is the one the looks back at me from the mirror.

All too often some act of apparent idiocy on the part of someone else turns out not to have been idiotic at all. Driving along a busy four lane urban boulevard, for example, do you curse the moron who stops abruptly right in front of you for no reason and whip around the idiot in a rage - only to stand in terror on your brakes to avoid hitting the pedestrian the first guy had stopped for? I've BEEN the REAL moron in that example. I'm not so quick to swear at drivers who do weird things in front of me anymore: they can see what I cannot and most of the time whatever they're doing turns out to have a sound reason.

The mind is a peculiar and effable instrument. In the kitchen one day I finished with a dishtowel and set it down and did some other chore for a few minutes. Then I reached for the dishtowel again - except it had vanished. I conducted a steadily widening search for that damn bit of rag, eventually looking in rooms I hadn't entered all day. Then I found it - on my shoulder. That's not the story. The entire time I was walking through the house looking for that lost rag, I was walking carefully so it wouldn't fall off!

So I'm solidly with Doc Vijay. Give a poor fool the benefit of the doubt, and make the world a tad more pleasant place for a bewildered brain to catch its breath in. God knows we'll all need the same charity extended to us someday, sooner and more often than we'd like to admit.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh yeah, I thought of one.
    Of course, when reading Priuschat, I have a flood of environmental and money conscious thoughts. I mean, how could I not? I'm surrounded by a group of posters so easily stereotyped as environmentalists worried about getting your money back.

Anyway, When talking to someone about recycling, here's a response I got from one guy: "Why should someone else get the money for recycling my stuff?"

I simply couldn't reason with that.

14. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 26 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]245864[/snapback]</div>

Well said, it's exemplary virtue!

:)

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who takes care of me? Mostly my family. I've been taking care of myself for a long, long time, but when I need help with something I usually turn to my family.

As for the sub-thread in this topic, what surprises me are not stupid people, but people who should know better that still ask stupid questions. Let me back up a bit; no question is stupid if you don't know the answer. I always think it is a good policy to ask when you don't know something. What I am talking about is when people ask because they haven't given even half a thought to the issue. As an example, we have a recumbent tandem bicycle with under-bar steering, so the handlebars are under the frame, not way up on top. People are always asking questions about it, since you don't see many recumbent tandems where we live. Most of them are good questions, such as "Is it hard to ride?", or "Is this a racing bicycle?" The all time stupid question about our tandem was when one woman looked at us on it and asked "Can you steer it?" We both wanted to reply: "No, we just point it in the direction we want to go and ride until we need to turn. Then we get off and point it again." That's what I mean by a stupid question. I suspect what she was thinking was something along the lines of "I don't see how you steer?" or "From here, it doesn't look like you could steer it."

With the Prius, a similar situation is how it is powered. Once you are told it does not plug in, and it only takes gasoline, then it should be obvious that the Prius is a gasoline powered car. All of the power for the Prius comes from gasoline. If all it takes is gasoline, then you don't need to understand the hybrid drive to know that is is a gasoline car. The hybrid system makes better use of the gasoline, but it is still a gasoline powered vehicle. Many people get lost in details.

That's my rant for today (or at least this morning :p ),
    Tom

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 26 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]245864[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Mark. Glad to see there is still hope for human kind. Wish there were more like you!

17. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am very self sufficient. Once I identify a problem with my life I do my best to fix it on my own but can research and ask for help as needed.

We train non-licensed staff to pass medications. I always tell my nurses to give instructions as if they were talking to a high functioning consumer vs. a peer or HS grad. Case in point; new dose of an existing medication. Nurse left instruction in the Communication Log about the change but saw the staff had given both the old and the new doses the next morning. I asked her if she had "told" the staff to remove the old dose/card as soon as the new one arrived. She commenced hitting herself on the head with the extra medication card.

I try to figure out every point and outline it in the curriculum I develop and for one on one situations. Teaching is more effective than punishing someone for not knowing something.

18. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 26 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]245453[/snapback]</div>

nah Tony, admit you asked them for help cause you simply wanted a nap. :D :p