1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who the @#$%^ designed the dipstick ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pooka, May 17, 2010.

1. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did my 1st oil change today - and cant read the dipstick ...

first found metal shaving on it .. then oil creeps on the sides about 4 - 5 inches above the full mark ... it grinds against something going in/ out (i have tried all orientations) ...

google "toyota can't read disptick" and multitude of posts (all models) come up - but I havent found a single solution yet ... anyone?

why do they have to make things so yucky - location of filter / then there is that world's cheapest floppy flap cover, location of engine oil cap where a nice big funnel cannot rest easily, those terrible push-pin connectors for the flap which i dont think will last long, more and more, my appreciation for german engineering is growing, atleast from the DIY perspective.

so much for modern machining, that metal shaving i found is scary, so to all those who are debating when to do the 1st oil change, i say do it before 5k ... /end rant

now back to loving the car :D

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I check my oil level every month, and have on every car I've owned for a long time, and don't have any issues with the Prius dip stick.

3. pekinkaid

pekinkaid Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have also noticed the creeping of the oil and the rubbing point during removable and insertion.

We use to have an old Plymouth Scamp that "ate" the bottom 2 inches of the dipstick (more than once).

Love the Pri!

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a simple solution to the dipstick problem! I had the same problem with my 04 so I drilled a small hole in the dipstick about 1/4 inch below the full mark. (not an original idea, got it here on PriusChat)

If there is oil in the hole I'm OK if not I add some. I plan on doing the same thing to my new Prius tomorrow.

I plan to install my new Fumoto valve at the first oil change, had one on the 04 and really liked it. Don't have to worry about wrenches, plugs or gaskets, just press and turn.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you find any metal shavings in the drained *oil*??
    Look at the curvature of the dipstick tube, and realize that
    there's only one axis along which the dipstick will actually
    bend to conform to that. One side or the other will give you
    a fairly clean read across the middle of the flat, despite the
    tendency you noted for the oil to "creep" up the edges. Wipe
    the whole thing clean on the first pull and it should read fine;
    keep in mind that newer oil tends to remain *very* clear in these
    engines, particularly synthetic, and it's hard to distinguish
    where fluid is vs. dry sometimes.
    _H*

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To determine wet from dry, look at the flat of the stick at a steep angle with good light. It is actually pretty easy once you get the trick of it.... even with a bit of "creep" up the sides. Trying to read the stick in a dark garage is tough.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to the 3rd gen Prius' dipstick, but if you want a crappy one, try the one in 03-04 350Zs (might stretch a few years beyond that). It's tough to read because oil ends all over the dipstick due to insertion and removal.

You can wipe all you want but oil still will get all over it.

There was a rant on this at engine oil dipstick *rant* - MY350Z.COM Forums (and even I posted in it). My 02 Nissan Maxima had the same engine but yet a much better dipstick. :confused:

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would have preferred you aksed, " Who's The "Dipstick", that designed the Dipstick !"

That said, I have been trying to awaken others that keeping the contaminated oil from breaking in a new engine in the motor for longer periods is very destructive as new engines produce as much wear particles (metal filings and dust) in the first 5000 miles as they will over the next 50,000 miles. I also advoicate getting the best oil filters to help in removing such contaminants, like the TRD filter for the Prius. Sorry you learned this after the fact !
    Thanks for the education, and posting it, it should help others avoid the problem.:(

9. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What he said:rolleyes:

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I never check mine - and have no idea where the dipstick is... Scheduled maintenance (yes 5K in my last '10, and 10K in this one) seems to take care of any issues....

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only time I have EVER found "shavings" in oil, was with a large Detroit Diesel 60 series motor in a highway tractor. The air compressor is direct drive off the motor, the air compressor grenaded and metal debris ended up inside the motor

If there are "shavings" inside a Prius motor, that motor is screwed and won't last very long. If I had found that, I would have saved not only a used oil sample for testing, but would also have examined the oil filter

Since the 2010 Prius uses a cartridge-style oil filter, it's very easy to examine the element for debris

If you found "shavings" on the dipstick, one can infer the element was also loaded with "shavings" and other debris. Was it?