1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who To Report Stock Radio Probs To?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fellwarre, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Fellwarre

Fellwarre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, so I see a lot of people complaining specifically about the 'random' feature of the stock radio. I have my own problems. My question is, who do we report them to? The Dealer? Or is there a contact for Toyota themselves? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Prius, but this is the first time I went with the options, 'cuase I didn't want to deal with aftermarket defects, only to find that the STOCK stereo is defective.

My own little problem with the 'random' feature is that, for some reason, when I have 120 songs on an MP3 CD and I have an hour-long drive to and from work, I have to hear track 1 on the CD at LEAST twice per drive.

Twice, it was stuck repeating two different songs, track one and track 33. They played in this order:

33 <--- noticed something strange here
    33 <-- confirmed something strange here, 'skipped' to
    33 <-- reset the thing by turning random off an then on again.

Also, I find that the pressing random off and then on again isn't a great work-around either, because when I do so, it seems to start with track one, five, or eight almost EVERY TIME. This means that if I really want a random song on the start of my drive, I have to press 'skip' a random number of times :p

-- Frustrated!

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Out of curiosity do you have your music organized in to folders? The reason why I ask is I haven't experienced the problem you're describing and trying to figure out what's different. I don't have any of my music organized.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i wrote toyota corporate once about the flaw in the cd player, allowing it to reboot your car stereo, while your car is running, resulting in the radio presets being erased,
    they called back and left a message with some kind of event number, i havent heard from them since

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to dig a little deeper into this and get some specifications for the player. There might be a limit as to how many files the "Random Play Software" can really handle. 120 songs is 120 files... Try a standard CD, see if Random Play results in the same problem. If not, burn a MP# CD with say only 25 songs. Play it see if the problem persists. If OK burn 50 on the next CD. Plays OK?, burn 75. See what happens. You might find there is a limit as to how many songs can be put on per disk!!

Try it and lets hear back with the results!!

God Luck de Pat KK6PD

5. Fellwarre

Fellwarre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll try limiting my file amount and see if that helps. I never throw my files into folders (no other reason than I'm pretty lazy ;) ). I wonder if doing so would help? Also, about the radio resetting, thanks for mentioning that, because I did notice that not too long ago my radio lost it's pre-sets, so apparantly I have that problem as well.

Too bad such a great car has such a problematic stock radio :p Still, I'd buy another in a heartbeat... maybe without the upgraded radio, though ;)

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah don't play dirty or scratched cds, it will cause errors across the bean bus and you will hear chirps and find out later your presets are gone and errors will appear referencing the event in the diagnostic log.

my dealer was no help, i think all they did was clear the diagnostic log and replace the cd changer

i was able to reproduce it several times