1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whoa - is new Ford Focus a Prius rip-off or what?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rookie, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rookie

rookie New Member

2. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It just proves that when you design a car using a computer and based on windtunnel data they tend to all look the same. :eek:

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst\";p=\"103829)</div>
    I agree completely. A wind tunnel is more responsible for the shape of the Prius than a designer.

On the other hand, Toyota was brave enough to listen to the tunnels. Other companies got the same data from wind tunnels, and decided to build something different from that data. And now that Toyota has a winner, we will be seeing more that look like it.

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

I'll give it this much, they all look better than the current US model Focus'

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Ford people may have been asking if the Prius was a ripoff of the Focus when it first came out, since the Focus has looked like that for a while now (altho, it has some minor design changes, nothing radical however). Something like, "Hey, they copied our design but left out the ability to go around corners." :)

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aren't there some Ford Focii that are electric or hybrid or alternative fuel or something? How can you tell?

There are quite a few Focii in my neighborhood but they don't look like that car. And yes, it does look a bit like the Prius from the side, but front but hood and hatch are different enough.

Gee, if they go that far...why not *make* it a hybrid?

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"103847)</div>
    I was just going to say that. When the Prius first came out, and there were very few on the road, I had a tough time telling a Ford Focus from a Prius from the front.

BTW, I like the Focus. Not anywhere as much as the Prius, but for the money, I think it's one of the best cars around. It's my optimal choice for a rental car (when I can't get a Prius.)

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"103862)</div>
    You may be thinking about flex fuel, which means the car can run on anything from 100% petro to E85 (85% ethanol). There are a number of Ford models, several GM and others as well. The way to tell is there is usually a green leaf icon on or around the filler door on these models.

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's a lot better looking than Honda's current Civic styling, and more on par with the Mazda3's nice looks.

I find it humorous that Ford has a better looking hatchback car (for the rear) than Honda.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rookie\";p=\"103816)</div>
    At least it looks like you could see better out of the rear hatch window of the focus. The hatch window dives down further than the prius and doesn't have that spoiler bar in the middle of it. Of course, that would also mean that you have even less cargo space in the hatch area.