1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whole car vibrates like crazy when I roll down windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hummerzebe, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Hummerzebe

Hummerzebe New Member

Just got my 2006 Prius with less than 100 miles on it. While driving home at 60 mph I decided to try the electric windows. Didn't matter which one I tried, the whole car began vibrating strongly when the windows were rolled down. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't read through the manual but is there a caution to not roll down the windows when driving highway speeds??

2. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerzebe @ Jul 31 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]295397[/snapback]</div>

Rolling down the windows disturbs the well crafted airflow (aerodynamics). 'Tis best not to do that:)

Try this: Open the opposite rear window and the driver's window, this at least allows exiting air to flow through. If you could open the rear hatch window, there would most likely be a better flow. But then, you may also get some exhaust fumes;-)

3. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few other threads on this issue. It's not limited to happening in the Prius. This should get you to one of the older threads Open window noise thread

4. marjam

marjam Member

Almost any car will create that drumming effect if only one or two of the rear windows are open but not the front. Your ear drums feel the effects of the increased pressure. If you want the rear windows down open one of the front windows a little and the pressure will go away. If you open all the windows you might get blow out of the car! There have been discussions for years about open windows vs. A/C for saving gas. Most that I have read say that any car is more efficient with the windows up and the A/C on than with the windows down. Some here have disagreed with this.

As stated above opening opposite windows also eliminates the problem at high speeds.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think "organ pipe"
    _H*

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 31 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]295490[/snapback]</div>
    Think Hillbilly playing a jug.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.owen.k12.ky.us/oces/jobanion/sound.htm

Well, you are sittin' inside that jug. :blink:

7. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerzebe @ Jul 31 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]295397[/snapback]</div>
    With both rear windows open and the front ones closed at about 70MPH creates the sound that I'm SURE I heard at a Pink Floyd concert!

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've learned to crack the front windows almost an inch..the rear.. 3 inches.. never on highway though. that's what A/C is for. this configuration ont he windows creats a nice neutral feel as air is sucked in the rear windows and out the driver and passenger front windows. useful is someone smokes in a car. never in my car though.

9. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 31 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]295498[/snapback]</div>
    Sit back and enjoy... :p

11. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerzebe @ Jul 31 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]295397[/snapback]</div>
    Leave the windows up :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    come to think of it

Anyone rolled the rear right window partially and have it rattle? It only occurs with my right rear and not with the left rear.