1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wholly Cow We got our Prius in under TWO WEEKS!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by actorguy1, Jul 7, 2006.

1. actorguy1

actorguy1 New Member

Was just notified today by our Dealer that our Prius was on the way and would be here within days. A lot sooner than we expected. A good thing overall, however we had hoped to sell my old car independently. Oh well. Also, the dealer said they added a REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR. It added about $60 to the overall cost of the car. Has anyone heard of such a thing, or is the dealer nickel and diming us to death.Also, or orginal first choice for color was RED and second choice was SILVER METALLIC, we ended up with the SILVER package #4. Still love it though

2. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actorguy1 @ Jul 6 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]282459[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats! The bumper protector is a pretty common dealer add-on and that's the price in northern CA. It's probably a clearish strip that adheres to the top of the rear bumper, and it can help protect the finish when you load stuff. Get them to show you one. Personally, I'd say two weeks is fast, and you take delivery in time for the $3150 tax credit. But you can always say no and fight it. If they don't have the car yet, they haven't applied it.

3. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Personally, I like the rear bumper protector, and requested that it be installed. Now, I don't know if it would protect the bumper or the paint if you were carelessly dropping things on it - I suspect it wouldn't. However, it has been useful for us loading and unloading a baby stroller, among other things, when the wheels have rolled across the sticker on the way in instead of the paint job.

If that's all they try to add, you're lucky compared to some of the horror stories you'll read here.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd say they're just trying to get an extra $60 out of you for something of little value that you don't need. HOWEVER, that's very small potatos when you're getting your car so fast. If you are paying MSRP and they don't tack on an excessive document fee, I'd say you're doing very well. -- Ask them to leave off the "protector" but if they say they can't, accept it. Other folks have been stuck with huge dealer add-ons, though the best dealers don't add on anything you don't want.

5. harrv

harrv Member

My first Prius arrived at the dealer with the "applique" (as they call it) already on the bumper and already worked into the MSRP on the car. Even though I don't see a lot of value in having it, there wasn't a lot I could do to fight it, and I bought the car anyway.

My current Prius never had it and it wasn't an issue.

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the tax credit still valid? I thought it was no longer?

They probably didn't add the protector, it's probably coming from the factory that way and they are saying they "added" it. They may have had someone cancel their order or something, and you are getting a different Prius than you had thought.

I saw an '06 Charcoal gray the other night, it was a beauty!

7. actorguy1

actorguy1 New Member

8. Hi_Yo_Silver

Hi_Yo_Silver New Member

On getting the new Prius, congrats! We lucked out and was able to purchase one someone had backed out of on the 28th of June. It was somewhat more than I would have purchased, package 8, but we love it. To respond on the film to protect the paint - ours had come with it, and I believe it's looks like a product by 3M to protect paint finishes. From what I understand it is quite durable and expensive to have applied to things like the complete front bumper, the car hood, mirrors, etc. any part exposed to bugs and possible stone chips. All in all $60 isn't too bad versus damaged paint... I plan on getting the car done where all the stones could hit, I guess it will be around the $400.00 mark. It kills me to see all the stone chips after driving awhile so I feel over the long haul it will pay off...

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new Prius!

Purchased separately, I believe a bumper applique runs in the neighborhood of $30-40, so the dealer is definitely making the slightest bit of extra $ of you. But dealers adding on 'mandatory add-ons' isn't unheard of. Usually they involve a lo-jack system, or paint protector, or special rims; and the dealer will add whatever dollar amount they feel those items add to the car, and jack it up a bit more for the consumer. And they won't let you get your car without those items either, so it's best for someone to take their business elsewhere if a dealer gets pushy with add-ons that cannot/will not be removed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Jul 7 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]282569[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen several, and every time I do, I think to myself about how pretty that color looks on the Prius. :)

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the bumper protector is a worthy add on. mine has been used to move twice now and it has 3 very prominent nicks on the back end. the bumper, although plastic is not as hard as i hoped it would be

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Following my verbal "go ahead" on the deal, the dealer added $500 pinstripe and moldings, which made it MSRP + $500 (dealer profit). After I cooled off, I just went for it. It probably cost them $50. I did add my own black rubber bumper protector. Actually I kind of like the moldings and stripes, so all is forgiven. I also got the car the same day I talked to them about buying it. Walking away and waiting (how long?) just didn't make that much sense, to me anyway. Of course most dealers realize this, and it keeps the pinstripe and molding guys employed. :)