1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's better? (Insurance)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HelpSaveMotherEarth, Sep 11, 2009.

1. HelpSaveMotherEarth

HelpSaveMotherEarth New Member

Model:
    IV
    I'm gonna get my 2010 Peius IV with solar roof the first of October and I'm gonna start paying for my own insurance. So who is better?

Geico or Progressive?

2. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Who's better?

Apples & oranges? Just get quotes and see. I currently have 2 cars and Geico is cheaper. Once I get rid of my other car, then Progressive will be MUCH cheaper.

3. HelpSaveMotherEarth

Model:
    IV

For me price don't matter I just want my car took care of.

4. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Members of my family use Progressive, Metropolitan, and State Farm. I like the Geico TV commercials, but have never had a Geico policy - not that I wouldn't consider Geico - just never had a reason to switch.

5. HelpSaveMotherEarth

Model:
    IV

My current policy is with geico but my girlfriend has progressive. But Im trying to figure out what's best.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

If your grandparents won't be covering you through Progressive and you're going to start paying for it and you make only 16k a year, the price does matter. Shopping around for the best price is part of good money management and will benefit you once you're on your own.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Be aware of a couple of trick insurance companies use.

1 "You can get quotes from any repairer." This means we will send the car to our cheap repairer but if you want to waste your time getting quotes go for it. We can use your quotes to screw down our cheap repairers.

2 "We provide a valet service. Drop your car at our service centre, we will pay for your taxi home and back and we look after the rest." This means you wont get a loan or hire car, once we drop you home your on your own sunshine. I hope you have another car, because we will not be in any hurry, we aren't without a car.

3. "All repairs are guaranteed for life." This means if you have a problem we will screw the original repairer for you and he will have to fix it. If he loses money what do we care, back yard repairers are opening up all the time.

Don't look for the cheapest insurance, get the best. It costs a few cents more each week but you actually get insurance as opposed to shafted.

There is was an insurance company here called FAI, people say it stands for F##& All Insurance, AAMI are worse. I use the best, RAA. I know this means nothing to most on here.
    Read the product disclosure statement.

8. HelpSaveMotherEarth

Model:
    IV

I make $20.00 an hour. I work for my dads friends construction company.

9. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Allstate is the best insurance. Call them, you will be glad that you did.

10. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's who I have, but can't say much as I've never had to make a claim. I get a good rate with home insurance and two cars through them.

11. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I thought you made $8.50 an hour.

Ahh, I remember being so young and lying about everything in my life. Oh wait, no I don't.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem with shopping for insurance by price is that not all insurance is the same: Some companies will do everything they can to avoid paying a claim; others will take good care of you. They all will claim to take good care of you, but the reason the cheap companies can charge less is because they don't pay out.

I've had State Farm all my life (I'm 61 years old) and they've always treated me right, no hassles.

13. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless you actually ever have to file a claim. I was rear-ended a month ago by someone who had Allstate. After 3 week, 2 complaints to our insurance commission, 10 different adjusters at Allstate, and a valuation for my totaled Prius that was several thousand less than FMV (based on NADA and Bluebook), I called my State Farm agent. 3 days later I had a check from State Farm.

Seriously. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use Allstate.

14. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Progressive or e-surance. But i vote for Progressive. They let you pick how much you wanna pay per month. Based on that, they take off or add on features and services to your policy. Deductible amount? You pick it. Coverage? You pick it. Car rental coverage? If you want. Basically, it is a "you get what you pay for" policy, and they are honest about it. You can't get better than that. Also, for those who are curious:

I requested an online quote with me and my wife (ages 22 and 21) on the policy, with the only car being a 2010 Prius. They gave us a quote of almost 200 USD per month. I tweaked it a little and it went down to 185USD. I did the whole pick your price thing and it went down to 130USD. Considering with how much passion insurance companies hate people under 25, and considering I did get quotes from other companies, those were the best quotes I ever got. Just IMO.

15. dhs

dhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use USAA...but membership is limited

aIf you have an affiliation with the armed services, you can join USAA. For me, my father was a Navy Dr. in the 70's.

With USAA, you get low rates and great service. I have been with USAA for almost 30 years. Had my first claim 7 years ago -- accident with two cars totalled, rates did not go up.

Oh, and I pay about $70/month for two cars ('2010 Prius and '2002 Sienna). Full coverage, with high liability limits (100K properity, 500/1000K injury).

16. priusagent

priusagent New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Everyone,

I am an agent for a MAJOR insurance company, I will not say who as I don't want it to appear that I am slandering another company but I can tell you this; Consider that rates for all companies will vary up and down, today maybe Progressive is cheaper than State Farm, then in 8 months State Farm may be cheaper, etc.. another major factor in rate is discounts, so if you have more than one policy you can expect different discounts. I would STRONGLY recommend that you experience the difference a good agent can make with regard to matching coverages that suit your individual needs. i.e.. if Progressive is cheaper than GEICO, however the person at Progressive didn't talk to you about liability and set you up with 50/100/50 liability limits because that's what he does for 8 out of 10 people anyway (not saying that is what they do, just an example). One last thing to consider is AFTERMARKET PARTS, with the new Prius there are probably not many on the market yet. If you get in a little banger with your baby are you going to feel good knowing that your insurance company only authorized the use of aftermarket parts, non oem fenders, hood, bumper, etc..??? for me that is a big deal, many times those parts don't fit exactly right. If anyone would like more public questions answered about insurance I would be happy to address them here or if you prefer offline you can pm me. I am however not going to say whom I represent for reasons stated previously, I can share with you my experiences in dealing with many of the companies that are out there. Hope this helps.

17. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow. Strong statement. I mean, I'm sure there's at least one person on the internet who's had a bad experience with each insurance company.

As alluded to by Priusagent, I think the person can make a difference. I got Allstate first through the internet and was assigned a nearby agent (in a different state though, kind of weird) and never met him over a couple years.
    Then my life situation changed and I went with my SO's agent, so we have our cars and house on one policy. He found I was paying way too much with the other guy (remember both agents are with Allstate though). I was kind of getting screwed by the other guy. This guy takes better care of me, he's nearby, and I can run over there if there's anything to talk to him about. In fact I have made it a point to go in person a couple times. Last time he even said "You could have just called, you didn't have to drive over here" but I figure there's no harm in the guy actually having met me face-to-face a few times.

Anyway, I'm happy with Allstate now, with the current agent, but like I said, I've never had to make a claim. And I'm not particularly wedded to them as the best or anything.

18. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Totally agree!
    I won't go into details, but I too am having a similar issue with them. They seem to put their clients at risk for out of pocket expenses with their tactics. I would never ever ever use Allstate either. I did some research and found many people having the same issues and a lawyer who said it's an Allstate thing. Avoid them.

I have USAA and love them.

19. HelpSaveMotherEarth

Model:
    IV

ok i said i worked for that when i was telling yall when i worked to make that total of 50,000 dollars ok....thats was a year ago and i quit that job and have been working for this construction company since christmas of 08 when i quit my job at target..

and for your info i do not lie...you might but i dont!!!!!

20. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a friend who has that. Seems like a great deal if you can get it.