1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's mailed it? Clean Air Vehicle Sticker applications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LT1bird, Aug 11, 2005.

1. LT1bird

LT1bird New Member

Hey All,

It's poll time. How many of you have actually mailed in your
    Clean Air Vehicle Sticker applications? I mailed mine in this
    morning! I'm so excited... my girlfriend actually called me at
    8 am to tell me the good news that Pres. Bush had signed the
    bill. Isn't she a keeper :D ?

Cheers,

LT1bird

2. wstander

wstander New Member

Mine went out at 0422 this AM

3. sdjimbo

sdjimbo New Member

Mine went out in work's outgoing mailbox today...

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Drove by the Post Office this morning and I'm $8 poorer. But the anticipation is better than Christmas.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I left it in my mailbox to go out today. I also signed up for FasTrak, which I probably would never use this year in order to file the application. Of course, if possible, I will close the account if it is OK. I read the fine print, you could get your initial deposit ($40) back. Stupid regulation (the FasTrak part) if you ask me....

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Almost sent it last night, but wanted to see if I could get one in person. No luck, so mailed it at 9am today (Thurs).

BTW, my neighbor just bought a Prius today from Diane at Carson Toyota because of the carpool lane.

Cathy
    OC Prius Club
    ocprius.com

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I mailed one out today. I live in GA, but am hopefully selling it on EBay for $8000

8. Pest

Pest New Member

I dropped mine in the mailbox last night. I can't wait to cut my commute time by 30%!

9. exhuman

exhuman Member

Mailed mine off at 8am this morning.

10. rustyj

rustyj New Member

Hand delivered mine to the DMV at 8:00am this a.m. :)

11. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Is this a California thing or am I missing something?

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    *This* is a California thing.

But other states are also allowing hybrids in the HOV lanes. I understand Florida is also issuing decals. Virginia has allowed it for quite some time.
    Utah also allows it.

Several states have legislation pending including Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia and Minnesota are considering it. I think Missouri is considering it as well.

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mailed @ 1530. :)

The better question is......who will receive it first?! ;)

14. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not just any transponder - a hybrid transponder ...

It turns out that even if you already have a transponder, they want you to use a special one that identifies you as a hybrid, so that when you go through the carpool lane solo it knows that you are allowed there.

So there is an extra step, exchanging the old transponder. Also, you can't use the new one in your "other" car, so if you want to be able to use the FasTrak in that other car you need two transponders.

See: http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/info/...tructions.shtml

... where one reads:

"If you are EXCHANGING your existing transponder for a hybrid transponder, please do the following:

STEP 1: Provide the following items to the Customer Service Center, either by mail or in-person:

Your existing transponder.
    Your existing FasTrakâ„¢ account number.
    A copy of your current vehicle registration that identifies your vehicle as a hybrid (The address on your current vehicle registration MUST match the address of your existing FasTrakâ„¢ account.)

STEP 2: Upon receipt of the information listed above, the FasTrakâ„¢ Customer Service Center will give/send you a Hybrid Vehicle FasTrakâ„¢ Kit, which will contain your new hybrid transponder, a “DMV Decal Application Instruction Sheetâ€, and some Account Verification information. The Account Verification information will contain your new hybrid transponder number, and your hybrid vehicle’s Identification Number (VIN), make/model/year, and license plate number. You will need to provide this information to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain your special decal.

STEP 3: Obtain a special decal from the DMV by submitting the following items to the DMV:

A copy of your Account Verification information provided by the FasTrakâ„¢ Customer Service Center

A completed “Clean Air Vehicle†application form from the DMV.

(For complete instructions for obtaining the DMV decal, see the DMV Decal Application Instruction sheet.) "

15. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

Really long time no talk... Mail the application in, are you kidding!? I went to my local DMV this A.M. and waited about 1 hour to pay my eight bucks and apply. According to the very nice lady at the DMV (I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it isn't) she had been taking loads of applications today.

I got there about 10 am and saw another Prius (Tideland) waiting to be inspected.

Just a reminder for anyone who has not checked their registration to make sure that their car is properly coded. You should see a "Q" under the MP heading not a "G". If you don't have a "Q", I would advise you to hand deliver your application to the DMV and to get your registration corrected at the same time.

The registeration certificate doesn't identify our car by model only by make so if the coding is wrong your car will be viewed by the computer as a gasoline only vehicle and you will not receive the sticker. You will also get a notice to smog your car 5 years after your purchase date which will not happen if it is properly coded as these vehicles are permanently smog certification exempt (got to love that).

I am now preparing to lie in wait for my poor unsuspecting mail carrier in order to pounce on my sticker like a bobcat on a bunny.

I also made arrangements today to add another appearance mod to my beautiful car. I will be getting a window decal for my lower portion of my back window that will say "Save a Soldier - Buy a HYBRID".

As my oldest stepson is currently in the Army and preparing to go to Iraq, I feel pretty strongly about this.

I am also eagerly anticipating the first time I will be able to cruise solo in the Carpool lane thumbing my nose at the Hummer's that I will be gliding past.

Take care all & Happy driving,

Tisza

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Boy, I'm glad I don't need a transponder.

I didn't know I was exempt forever from smogging. I was told for first five years only. That's great! That was always a hassle with my Saturn.

I checked my registration for the "Q" after reading the thread on the L.A. parking for free "ticket" hassles. I've got a Q. May I assume if I have a Q I don't need any additional inspection? I've already mailed mine in so it's too late. My local DMV told me on Tuesday they weren't even set up for inspections. There was no mention of requiring an inspection prior to applying on the DMV website so this better not delay my sticker. I want it before School starts.

(If the CA DMV had been smart....they would have sent those decals back to the local DMVs right after Congress passed the bill so they'd be ready when Bush signed. It's what *I* would have done.)

17. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Again All,

I agree with you Godiva, sending the decals out ahead of approval would have been smart, efficient and intelligent but... remember that these are politicians and government workers we are talking about here (and before anyone has a cow, my hubby works for the County of Riverside so I am allowed to make jokes...) so the lack of foresight is not really a surprise is it?

As for the possible need for an inspection, on the CARB website they do mention that an inspection "might" be necessary, however if you have the proper coding on your vehicles paper work you should be a-ok.

Take care all,

Tisza

18. Erick

Erick Member

I went over to the DMV today with a couple other Prius friends and we gave them our $8. The one lady asked to inspect my friend's car so he came over to the woman who was helping me and she said that wasn't needed and she took his money, too. She told us it would take Sacramento 2 weeks to process our form and then it would go to a special devision that handles the license plates and the stickers. It would take them another 2 to 3 weeks to process and then we should see our sticker after that (4-6 weeks). That sounds like a long wait!!! My wife and I will be fighting over the Prius once the sticker comes but hey, the Prius is officialy my car so I told her she would have to sell her nice little sports car that gets 15mpg on 91 octane and buy her own dang Prius! :mrgreen:

19. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

where do you get this application? I can't find any information on this anywhere.

thanks,

paul b

20. curiousprius

curiousprius Junior Member

Dropped my app off at the post office during a break at work ~11:00AM.

In a few weeks you will see a lot of prius owners paranoidingly checking their mailboxes ;)

paul b - here's the direct link to the app:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf