1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's replying to whom?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by clongwor, Aug 6, 2005.

1. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I am reading through the posts in a topic, sometimes I can't determine to whom a response is being directed....unless they include the text of the other email.

Is there some obvious thing I am overlooking?

Hope this makes sense!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clongwor\";p=\"113960)</div>
    No, you're not missing anything and yes, it can be difficult to follow. I encourage folks to use the "quote" button when replying and then deleting unnecessary text from the quoted portion. That then shows the name of the person you're replying to as well. Just as I've done here with your post.

Ideally the reply would be written clearly enough, alone, to make sense and put it in context...unfortunately that rarely occurs so the quote feature is helpful. We have a few people that can't seem to get the hang of hitting a button that says "quote" or they just prefer not to use it for their own reasons.

3. wstander

wstander New Member

. Just as I've done here with your post.

Ideally the reply would be written clearly enough, alone, to make sense and put it in context...unfortunately that rarely occurs so the quote feature is helpful. We have a few people

Guilty of the former; now am reformed...thanks fo the pointers/nags;-)

4. wstander

wstander New Member

Still learning which quote button....<sheepish grin>

5. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I knew what you meant. Thanks....now I know about the quote button!

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can quote me...

[font=Comic Sans MS:c90d4e7447]When I'm replying to a specific post, Clongwor and EFusco, I either address the poster by name, as here, or quote, particularly if my response it to a point made a few posts previous to mine.

When I'm adding a general comment to the thread, directed to the topic rather than a specific poster, I just make a comment. When you see a post that has quotes within quotes, the overall topic can be obscured.

The other thing that drives me nuts in these PriusChats is when someone hijacks the thread and changes the topic, so you see the topic "Prius Marathon Run" and someone is talking about oil.[/font:c90d4e7447]