1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's Staying? Who's Leaving? Who's Stuck in Traffic?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hv74656, Oct 22, 2007.

1. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm suprised with the amount of Prii in San Diego that nobody has started a topic on this yet. (You're excused if you are evacuating.) For those of you outside of CA, I'll let the following picture decribe the situation:
    [​IMG]
    I took that yesterday afternoon (flash on
    ), it also qualifies as my sequel to john1701a's snow pictures (I'm sure there is a Prius on the 5 somewhere in that pic).

Anyways, I am directy south of the 56 evacuation limit (for now). Having just moved here from FL, I'm used to the whole evacuation thing (plus the heat ha,ha). I'm going to fill the tank in the Prius after I call family and will sit tight until it's time to go. For those of you who have already left, or are going to, good luck and I hope you and your families stay safe.
    (This would also be a good time to thank your car for having such great mileage.)

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's some scary stuff over there. i hope everyone stays safe.

3. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

For our family, it's more like 'Who is coming home..." Our cousin lives in San Diego and was spending a few days here. This morning she learned two (adult) kids and several co-workers were evacuating. She lives toward Point loma and she was flying home to a house full of friends and family setting up camp.

Stay safe. Homes can be replaced. (I know this because I lost a home in a forest fire back in 1988.) You get only one life.

Cheers and well wishes from the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We are thinking of all of you - not just the Prius owners.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those high winds and flying embers can be very dangerous. I'm too far North to be housing any evacuees, but some of you more generous types might consider offering, for those who have no family close by. Anybody heard from Godiva today?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm fine.

I'm in the heart of San Diego City. The air outside my home isn't that bad (yet). But if you hear of the fires approaching San Diego State University, that's just east of me. That's when I'll be packing the dog and heading....gee, don't know where. I doubt any of the fires would get that far. The fires are too far south and too far north of me. There are 8 fires burning. One was started by a spark from overhead lines because of the high winds.

My sister and her family live in San Marcos. Not in the evacuation area. (yet) But they packed last night and have all documents in the car. She couldn't go into work today as she takes I-15 and it's closed. I told her to do a little more packing, then take the guinea pig, dogs, two boys and oh, the husband, and head west and then south to my parents' house. (They're in Germany right now). This was at 7:45 am. Don't wait for a mandatory evacuation because by that time the highways will all be parking lots. She said they would leave in an hour or two. I called this afternoon around 1:15 and they're still there. Doofus husband says, oh the fires are too far south. I told him if the wind changes I'll be glad to gloat "I told you so" after it takes them 6 hours to drive the 30 min. south to my parents' house. I told him forget coming down, head north to L.A. They're just SW of the I-15, El Norte Parkway intersection. I think they're just north of the 78. If it were me, everything would be packed and I'd already be at my parents because *I* would have left by 10 am. *I* wouldn't have waited for a mandatory evacuation.

My parents are coming back from Germany Tuesday. I have no idea if they're going to allow the planes to land at Lindbergh Field. I guess I'll get a call as to where and when to pick them up. Don't know if they even know about the fire, but I suspect if they don't know before they leave, they'll hear about it either from the pilot or when they go through customs.

Their dog is with my sister. I was supposed to pick her up tomorrow but that isn't going to happen with all of the road closures. She'll stay with them until...whatever. Good for her actually. She's a porker. It's been 10 days of Doggy Fat Camp. Diet and exercise and she has a waist again. She looks great. They're keeping the dogs in the house for their health so they'll be fine. (Until they're evacuated.)

It's pretty bad. Homes lost. Again. They're saying it will be worse than the Cedar fire of 2003. At least the Santa Ana temperatures aren't as hot as they were predicted to be. About 10 degrees lower than predicted. But the wind is bad. Very little if any containment. There are a few copters or aircraft in the air today. We're supposed to get some C130s. But they're talking of places where the fire may burn all the way to the ocean. That means....more homes. A lot more homes.

The TV is showing the poor deer running from the fire. And copters dropping stuff.

Over 250,000 evacuated.

The reverse 911 is being used. And it's working. But officials are begging people to evacuate the first tim they're asked. Evacuation has been slow but orderly.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My mom lives in Ventura, an hour's drive north of the Malibu fire, and yet the smoke is so thick she can hardly see to the end of her (rather large) yard.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 22 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]529067[/snapback]</div>
    I'm near your mom in Oxnard (neighboring city) and we're getting smoke from two fires, Malibu and the one that is over by Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita (and has burned far enough that it is threatening Fillmore). We live where we can see the ocean about 2 miles away, and the power plant on the beach. The smoke was thick enough yesterday that you couldn't see the power plant. It plays havoc with anyone with respiratory problems (and my sinuses!)

I work in Santa Barbara, and the skies were pretty clear there this morning, but this afternoon it was a little hazy. The winds are supposed to die down on Tuesday night or Wednesday, and if we get our normal flow of cool, moist air coming in off the ocean, that will help them knock the fire down.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh crap. I was gonna visit LA and San Diego (see my CA/NV thread).

Is it ok to visit those two places? (Mostly San Diego Zoo and the popular touristy places in LA). I heard the fires are all the way up to Santa Barbara. My friend and I were going to take the PCH back to SF. What's the safest route now with the fires?

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]529104[/snapback]</div>
    You'll be fine. In the Los Angeles area most of the fires are in outlying areas away from the major tourist sights. While a few miles of PCH in Malibu are closed, most of those driving between Los Angeles and San Francisco on PCH take U.S. 101 to San Louis Obispo and California Highway 1 north from there.

On another thread, I suggested that you shop for a better deal for your rental car. Give www.sidestep.com a try.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]529104[/snapback]</div>

The Zoo is closed. Not because it's threatened. Lots of places are closed.

They don't want anyone on the freeways that don't absolutely have to travel.

All Universities and School Districts are closed. They want everyone to stay indoors. The Mayor is asking everyone that doesn't absolutely have to go to work to stay home.

I'd avoid San Diego County, period.

If you can wait a week, you're good.

Pacific Coast Highway should be fine. As long as you don't travel south of San Onofre. They're now evacuating South Solana Beach to Sorrento Valley, North Del Dios to Sorrento Valley and Black Mountain Road west all the way to the ocean. That means....Solana Beach and Del Mar.

11. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 22 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]529046[/snapback]</div>

Great idea... Anyone who needs to get away is welcome to stay here. We have two extra bedrooms - a queen, a full, two sofas, a futon and a rollaway. We're in the Gold Country - between Sacramento and Tahoe. Email me [email protected]. I know it's quite a drive but our home is open.

Err, only one bathroom at the moment. We just gutted the other two but visiting won't be as bad as living with it. :)

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debrasnell @ Oct 22 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]529140[/snapback]</div>

Gee, if I was sure school would be canceled for the remainder of the week, I might take you up on that.

You do take dogs, right?

And....I do tile work. I can help you with those bathrooms.

BTW do you know Jana Ressel? She moved to Grass Valley a few years ago. Works as a teacher. Her husband got a job with the phone company or something.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 22 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]529134[/snapback]</div>
    sweet thanks. Website noted! I've also replied in the other thread

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 22 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]529136[/snapback]</div>
    awww man. Well San Diego is planned for next Thurs (1st Nov), how does that sound. I have until Thurs then I'll be internet-less for 1½ weeks. ish... unless I use my friend's laptop whenever I crash at his place.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 23 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]529164[/snapback]</div>

While there's no telling when the fires will be contained, I'm betting they will be by this weekend if not earlier. The Zoo will certainly be open by next week, Thursday, Nov. 1. All of the freeways, too.

If you have a laptop, you can bring it to any public library. They have free wifi.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Crikey! Stay safe you guys. Doesn't look like fun. Hopefully this winter will be wetter for you lot on CA.

16. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I finally did have to leave. Being a semi-former Disney cast member, I tried the whole stay at Disneyland thing, with no luck. Almost every hotel in the Anaheim/LA area is booked solid. I got lucky and found a place across from Disney, but it's only going to be for a night. Hopefully I can get into a Disney hotel tomorrow, it sure would make a really lousy experience a whole lot better. Also, anyone else from SD should be aware that just becuase a hotel is "available" online, doesn't make it so in reality. I guess the reservation systems can't keep up with the amount of last minute check-ins.

Godiva: Do you go to SDSU? If you do, could you let me know if there will still be classes on Wed. (I just happen to have a major test on Wed., or I'm at least supposed to.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 22 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]529136[/snapback]</div>
    Solana, Del Mar (and I assume La Jolla) being evacuated? Unbelievable! These communities are beautiful, and very expensive, even by CA standards. The steep terrain being burned will lead to massive run-off/mud slides in a couple of months. This is a disaster of immense proportions ecologically, monetarily, and biologically. This nation has used up all it's reserve funds fighting junior's war, and now we the people who finance the national kitty need the money (and hurricane season isn't over either 'down there'). I hope any PCers who need help will post that need allowing our community to offer assistance.

Godiva, as you know, the flames are terrible, but breathing air that smoky air is really bad. Get away if the smoke starts drifting to your neighborhood. Up here we had our first rain a few days ago, and it's been a spectacular fall week since. Come visit.

18. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We're safe here by the beach in Orange County (for now!).

Only effect we've had is our kids football practice tonight may be canceled due to the poor air quality.
    I'm currently at work listening online to KNX1070 radio updates!
    Smells like a big bonfire outside where-ever you go!

wow.....If it does rain......that's a double edge sword.

19. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sending good thoughts to all of you to the south. May the winds disappear as fast as they appeared. Stay safe!

20. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's our best wishes to all of you in SoCal, please don't take any chances, be safe and I hope this passes soon. Best regards to all your friends and family as well.

edit: Just saw this on CNN, http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/23/env.health/index.html Please take extra care and don't wait too long if you need to evacuate.