1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who's Your Favorite Rock Star/Band or Artist in any Genre...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, May 8, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Me:

Best overall rock band: Motley Crue
    Best overall rock star: Nikki Sixx

As for "pop", I hold David Bowie in very high regard...

Rap: Run DMC

I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on...

[​IMG]

2. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

Greatest rock band all time.
    B)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rock Band: Rush
    Lyricist: Neil Peart
    Vocalist: Freddie Mercury

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]251420[/snapback]</div>

Zeeeeee Zeeeeeee TOP!!!!!!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, easy.

the smashing pumpkins.

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

only sort of rock, but the Moody Blues is my favorite band of all time.

a little more modern-like, I've been getting really into Ben Folds. Don't know why, but the piano work just gets me

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 8 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]251442[/snapback]</div>
    hahaha, I used to leave "the world is a vampire" on friend's voicemails... I can imitate him PERFECTLY on that one line.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 8 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]251443[/snapback]</div>
    You know, what IS IT about Moody Blues, Ben Folds, and such (throw Dave Matthew in there), that chicks in particular really dig?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 8 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]251435[/snapback]</div>

AWWWWWW YEAH! You just CAN'T go wrong with them!!! :D

[​IMG]

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Band: Rush
    Artist: Geddy Lee

very very close second is "Boston" (whom we named our Son after)

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Greatest Band ever: The Who; Grateful Dead
    Best singer/songwriter: Dave Carter, Richard Shindell
    Best guitarist: Eric Clapton, me :lol:
    Currently listening to in my Prius: Jackson Browne acoustic live; new Neil Young, Pat Metheny trio, Phish (Round Room), Phil Lesh recorded live this year, Cream (Madison Square Garden 2005), Spirit (my tastes are very eclectic.)

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guitarist: Stevie Ray Vaughn

Band: For straight up rock I could listen to Rush and Queen for hours but for some good old Southern Blues/Rock the Allman Bros. has my heart (named my daughter after their song, Jessica)

11. saechaka

saechaka Member

rock duo: The White Stripes
    rock star: Ryan Adams

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    should have stuck this in my first post, but wasn't sure how exactly to classify him...
    But Meatloaf holds a special place in my rock and roll favorites list. There's just something in the way he can make a rock ballad that can crystalize a teen/young love mood like noone else I've ever listened too. His music may be the most 'fun' of any real rock.

Along with him on the 'fun' music list is, of course, Buffett...but it's hard to classify him into 'rock' persay.

My early and current rock inspirations: Boston, Kansas, Yes, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, and Kiss (egads...I even had my room plastered with posters!)

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 8 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]251498[/snapback]</div>
    OH WOW!!! Just this morning I was thinking the very same thing of Meatloaf! He popped on XM 9 on my way to "work" ( :lol: ) (I would do anything for love), and again, I was thinking of his, fun, epic rock ballads, and wondered if we'd ever hear from him again...

Conversely, Buffett annoys the crap out of me... bunch of stoned 50 year old's wearing parrots on their heads, IMO, lacks amusement... lol

14. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

The White Stripes • The Postal Service/Death Cab

15. Mystery Squid

For the death metal genre, my vote goes to: Liabach. I think they're Czchek's, but they actually manage to NOT sound like a lawnmower, have some sort of message, and implement the use of French horns. Their remake of Europe's The Final Countdown is spectacular!

:ph34r:

16. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]251575[/snapback]</div>
    You consider Laibach death metal? The vocals maybe, but I would think that most of their songs are too slow and have too much of a groove to be death metal. But genres are too confusing anyway. They usually get lumped into the "Industrial" genre (but that's also debatable). My favorite old song by them is "Life is Life". As for newer songs, "Tanz Mit Laibach" rocks. Check out the wacky flash animation to that song featuring marching kittens. http://www.rathergood.com/laibach/

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ May 8 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]251619[/snapback]</div>
    haha, this is great, discussing Liabach on Priuschat!

Ok, I can see where they wouldn't quite fit the death metal genre, but I'm also hesitant at saying "industrial"... Haven't heard any of their new stuff, but my general album of reference is Nova Akropola... I sort of put them on the same shelf as Sepultura... I think my favorite Liabach song would be the Europe remake, and Die Liebe.... Hmmm, I think you're right though, Death Metal does sound a BIT extreme...

For Classic Rock, I nominate old Black Sabbath... Musically, and lyrically... :ph34r:

18. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]251644[/snapback]</div>
    Looking up Nova Akropola on Amazon and all the descriptions say Industrial. For me the difference between Sepultura and Laibach live instrumentation. I think Laibach is mainly sampled or programmed music, which Sepultura is all live with the precision of machines.

I do some djing and I can fill the dancefloor of a goth/industrial club with the newer Laibach songs. I think I would some confused glares if I played it at a death metal club.

19. cattail722

cattail722 cattail722

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best band ever: Talking Heads
    Favorite artist: David Byrne

Others I love: Beck, Coldplay, Radiohead....so many more, but there's only so much space here.

20. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Pennywise. straight up punk rock all the way.