1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why all the different options between countries and regions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by William Tell, Jan 27, 2010.

1. William Tell

William Tell New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does Toyota sell the Prius with different standard features between countries and regions?

I live in Switzerland and have the most basic 2005 model. It has zero extras.

Here is what comes standard:
    - EV button
    - Cruise control
    - Heated mirrors
    - The seat can be jacked up and down
    - km 100k warranty, km 160k on battery

What comes standard in your country?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The cars are ordered from Toyota Corporate by your local Toyota distributor (who the dealers order them from). Each distributor orders the car equipped as they think will sell well in their region.

Local Toyota distributors may be part of Toyota (owned and operated by them) or may be independent but follows strict rules. Either way, Toyota Corporate know the local distributor knows better than they what will sell in their region.

The local distributor may also develop and install other parts. i.e. Toyota Canada did the block heater, but they also only install them where necessary. In Canada, Vancouver area dealers don't include a block heater. Here in Edmonton, when I asked if it was included, I got the response "of course". As in "Do you think we're crazy? You NEED a block heater in Edmonton!" ;)