1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why an 8 to 10 mpg difference between our 2006 & 2008 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TeamPace, Oct 24, 2012.

1. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We own both a 2006 Prius and just purchased a 2008 Prius. The 2008 seems to be getting about 8 to 10 mpg better mileage which I'm puzzled about. We had bought the 2006 used with 27K miles. Initially the 2006 was getting 50+mpg. After about six months we bought new tires and added a trailer hitch and our mileage seemed to drop into the 44 to 48mpg range. This was all in warmer weather, so it is not due to the normal cold weather mileage drop. I know the tires make a difference although the Michellin tires we put on were rated excellent for rolling resistance. We now have over 100K on the car and just replaced the tires again with Michellin Fuel Saver tires. No real improvement. The 2008 we just bought has the original Goodyear Integrity tires with 23K miles on the car. We are getting 54 to 58mpg with the car. I realize the trailer hitch could be a factor but it is a small hitch weighing only about 50lbs and it tucks up underneath the car pretty well so it shouldn't hurt aerodynamics all that much. I'm wondering if the battery pack in the 2006 may not be up to par? Oh, and I did also check the auxilary 12v battery using the MFD in the testing mode. It actually seems the battery in the '08 which is getting the superior fuel economy has the more marginal 12v battery. The '06 auxillary battery tested out just fine, so evidently that battery had been replaced at some point.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i found my 08 to be about 5mpg better than my 04. and that held true for the 4 years i had it and my daughter had my 04. they probably made some small improvements in the drive train and lower weight etc.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 average is 47 MPG lifetime.
    You seem to be in ballpark.
    The 54-58 is absolutely superb and maybe too high?
    It gets into whether you are talking display MPG or calc from gaso fill-ups.
    Gaso fill-up hand calc number being more reliable but still dependent on tire diameter being correct.
    If you have a bigger tire diameter on there compared GY Integrity OEM for 2006 you could have tire size calc bias.
    You can go to a site like TireRack.com and get rolling distance to see if that is part of problem.

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe swap drivers and see what happens?

7. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We also have a 2006 Prius and a 2008 Prius. The mileage between them is virtually identical at about 5 l per 100km (I think thats around 50mpg US). Tires do not seem to be a big factor. We have Michelin harmonies on the 2008 and the Original Goodyears on the 2006. The only difference is the Michelins ride much better.

The biggest effects we notice are speed and length of trip. We get the best mileage (4.5 l/100km) on long trips between 60 to 80 km per hour (40 to 50 mph). Short trips under 5km are really hard on mileage (6l/100km or higher depending on if the car is warm or not). Highway driving over 100km/h (60mph) drops mileage to 5.2 l per 100km or 5.5 if the wind is against you or you are driving over 70mph.

Winter gas seems to cost about .3 l per 100km mileage.

Driving style has some effect but not much. I have tried most of the techniques and I still end up with about the same mileage. From what I have found you really have to try hard to get these cars to have bad mileage. The worst I have been able to achieve is with 4 passengers, loaded to the roof hatch, roof racks, full rocket box, and a kayak driving 115km/h (70mph) and I averaged 6.5 l/100km.

TeamPace likes this.
  8. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate all the input! This forum is an excellent resource. Maybe the tire diameter is a factor I hadn't considered. When looking at mileage I am going by both the MFD readout and actually checking the mileage over several fill ups for both cars. That normally shows the MFD readout being a couple of MPG's higher than when I check it manually over several tanks of gas. As to drivers, I do tend to get about 2mpg better mileage in whichever car I drive vs. my wife (I'm more on the hypermiler side of the scale) but the mpg difference between the '06 and '08 is pronounced and normally between 8 to 10mpg different with the same weather, similar drives, same gas, etc. I'm not able to get anywhere near the same mileage with the '06 when I drive it vs. when I drive the 08. So it really does seem to be some difference between the two cars. I will try to check the odometer readings over some set measured distance to see if there is a descrepancy in what the odometer is reading due to tire diameter. Even then I can't imagine that alone making a 10mpg difference! I'm still convinced there is something else going on here including potentially the traction batteries in the '06 having diminished somewhat. After all there is nearly 80,000 and 2 years on the '06 vs. the '08. I also notice that the '08 seems to be able to run in pure EV mode a bit longer, nothing scientific, but when I drive the same routes, it seems I am able to keep the ICE shut down a bit more in the '08. As far as the note about potential drive train differences, unless there was some minor computer tweaks I don't know of any difference between the '06 and '08 drive trains. I don't think Toyota claimed any improvements except between Gen I, II and III. While the mid 40's I'm getting in the '06 is respectable, it is still very puzzling why I have been acheiving well above 50mpg in the '08 thus far, don't you think?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its cool to have two Prii.
    How about a test run...run both empty and fill-up at same pump.
    Head out some Sunday AM and do 200 mile out and back (400 miles) back to same pump refill.
    OK just thinking...

TeamPace likes this.
  10. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this idea and certainly may try it at some point. It would be a bit time consuming and weird/wasteful to drive around following one another. To minimize variables I would even swap drivers a couple of times to even that out and also even switch back and forth from following to leading to offset any drafting advantages. From what I've experienced thus far though I'm pretty sure we would see the same results, but it would eliminate some considerations such as the tire diameter question, terrain, temps, fuel type etc. Good idea though, thanks!

11. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your post. So you have answered the question that the two cars should be getting around the same mileage. The mystery continues!

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe a bit easier and less time consuming/wasteful would be to just take them both for a 10 mile return trip to calibrate the odo's for any tire differences. Then just compare them with some manual calculations (miles traveled over fuel pumped) with any correction for the odo's taken into consideration. At least that would settle the matter of how much of the difference is real versus reported. You could even fill them at the same pump to minimize any discrepancies.

Though there are small difference between the later models compared the 2004/2005, differences in fuel consumption are close to non existent. On the other hand difference between one person and the next, even with the same model, is sometimes quite large.

13. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that different drivers will get significantly different results and we do have two drivers involved. However even when we switch drivers between the cars their is still a large descrepancy in the resulting MPG with the '06 underperforming the '08 by 8 to 10mpg. When I drive the '06 model I am never able to get the mileage I get in the '08. So I still feel there is something with the '06 that is bringing down the mileage. That is what I'm hoping to discover, not only for my benefit but for the benefit of other Prius owners who may experience this. I probably will try driving the two cars together at some point. I won't be able to do anything as long as 400 miles, but even a shorter run should help to confirm that with everything equal as to gas used, temp, wind, road conditions, speed, etc. how much difference there will be. As mentioned I will even swap drivers at some point to offset any factors in driving style and switch back and forth equally which car is leading the other to minimize drafting effects. That will eliminate enough outside factors to definitely show if there is indeed some issue with the '06 causing this. If it were 1 or 2mpg I wouldn't be concerned but 8 to 10mpg definitely is puzzling. Thanks again for the thoughts on this issue!

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I agree, there probably is something not right with that particular 2006 Prius, but not in general with 2006 versus 2008 model Prius's.

People sometimes come to this forum to report a Prius getting really poor fuel ecomony and no one can figure out why. Sometimes it turns out to be something simple, like a bad 12V battery or a really poor tire choice. And sometimes it's more the driver, like a really fast aggressive driver, or really short trips in cold climate, and basically just unrealistic expectations. But there's other cases where the fuel economy seems way out of line for the driving conditions and no can ever figure out why. Your may be one of these cases. :cry:

15. TeamPace

TeamPace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right that I will never figure it out and eventually I will just accept it. But for my own piece of mind and for the benefit of others it would be great if it can be narrowed down. That way we will have some good information available on the types of things that might be causing lower mileage when it is quite likely something with the car itself.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no reason you can't swap the tires/wheels between a 2006 and a 2008.

17. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also have two prius, a 2005 and a 2012. The 2005 ave mpg displays from 44 to 46 mpg. The 2012 ave mpg displays 50 to 52 mpg. Original factory tires on both cars. I have not checked actual consumption, but the 2005 consistently displays several mpg less than the 2012. John

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What exactly were the tires you put on (Exact model/suffixes/size, eg Michelin Energy AS 185/65/15, for example).

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah but they are two different models John. The 2006 and 2008 should be much more similar, almost identical.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...not really wasteful, this is R&D Science...we need more