1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are our soldiers dying for this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Aug 4, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The administration wanted to install a democracy there....and so it is.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree. We cannot accomplish anything more. Bring our troops home and let them fight it out. All over oil...if we were smart we would be in full gear working towards alternative technology so we could say "to hell with you " to the Arabs. :angry:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, the Shiits were the ones who supported the US in Iraq and the Sunni were the 'bad guys'....now the Shiits are openly expressing their support for Hezzbola. What have we accomplished?

Our own generals are saying that Civil War is all but immenent...and frankly I think they were trying to put the best face on the situation.

If I were Iran or N. Korea and had sleeper cells in the US this is the exact time I'd launch a major terror attack...or several in a matter of weeks. We're completely unable to support major fronts in Iraq, to support Israel, and begin another front in a major conflict.

I'm very very concerned.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Aug 4 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]297822[/snapback]</div>
    What's wrong with a civil war? We had one and look how we turned out.

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 4 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]297808[/snapback]</div>
    The fact that the number that matters is 2,500, not the hundreds of thousands of lives actually lost (and that the true number is unknowable because no one cares to track it), is mute evidence that we have learned exactly zero, for the billionth time.

Should the day ever come when armed phalanxes clash and the ONLY number that anyone tracks is the TOTAL loss of life, home and livelihood, irrespective of "side," perhaps then one can begin to have hope that mankind is not irrevocably doomed. When ALL the carnage matters, not just a portion of it, we can claim we have a chance at outliving the dinosaurs.

Meanwhile, today, some idiot is lighting the fuse somewhere to ignite lesson no. one billion and one, and like lemmings we won't see anything but the red haze of rage in our headlong rush to the precipice.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 4 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]298036[/snapback]</div>
    Well put Mark!

civil war??? That's close to the top of my oxymoron list.

8. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 4 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]297808[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget the 300 billion dollar pricetag (about $3,000 per American household), and rising! The total economic cost to us is expected to reach more than a trillion dollars, even if we manage to withdraw all of our troops within the next couple-few years ("cut and run"). Talk about an increase in federal spending!!

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen the light! Yes Sir! Appeasement that's the ticket! It's never worked in the past but who says that the definition of insanity is doing something over and over and over expecting different results? Screw history! When has learning from history ever helped us? Let the terrorist win one and I'm sure they will be satisfied and return to their peaceful origins cause they follow MuhamMAD, such a nice guy why millions of people love him we should too! That would be really cool cause then we could treat our women any way we want! We would never be denied heaven and 72 virgins for murder as long as it was an infidel. Com'on you silly neo-con's join me it's so peaceful here, no worries cause someone else does the thinking for you.

Wildkow

p.s. Where's my kool-aid?

10. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 4 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]298083[/snapback]</div>
    It was enclosed in the same envelope as the autographed picture of George W. & Laura Bush. You didn't get yours? You don't still have the envelope, do you--it's probably still there! You are going to be a mighty unhappy Republican if you don't drink the Kool-Aid!

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Aug 4 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]298067[/snapback]</div>
    300 billion is just the immediate cost. Try over a triilion actual costs. This will bankrupt America.

http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?sectio...articleId=11646

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Let's get back to the science of the mini-nukes. You come into a place like Iraq, drop about 25 of those on the right spots on day 1. Threat eliminated on 1 day. Relatively cheap, we eliminate whatever threat (real or perceived) and the next country has to respect the USA when considering defiance. We never have to go in with the troops..

It's different.. but I think it would work.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 6 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]298584[/snapback]</div>
    I so wish it could be that easy...sincerely. But the political 'fall out' (sorry) would put the US permanantly in such a difficult position, plus the terror cells would easily continue to exist and do their damage.

The cost of rebuilding (which we will do no matter your stand on that) would be expensive, and we'd still be subject to the types of terror strikes that we're seeing in Iraq.

An easy solution, there will not be.

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :angry: The really sad thing is Exxon reported its second highest quarter profits in history. Apparently its highest quarterly profits were in the first quarter of this year. With our soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, is this really good corporate citizenship??

If everyone drove a Prius, we could live off the oil we produce ourselves in the Gulf of Mexico, Texas, and Alaska (from the pipeline, not from the wildlife refuge), and not have to import ANY oil from anywhere. And still our oil companies could make an obscene profit (as they do now), without regard to the lives of our citizens who fight and die as soliders for our country at the pleasure of our elected officials.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 4 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]298083[/snapback]</div>
    It's in Iraq. As soon as you enlist, you can go there and pick up a quart. No? Didn't think so.

16. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 6 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]298584[/snapback]</div>
    Using the word "science" in the above quote doesn't make it a scientific statement. I am guessing it was written by one with zero actual scientific knowledge about nuclear weapons or their effect, and no military experience to support his estimates. They do more than go "boom!"

I've flown B-52s with real nukes aboard. They weren't there for ballast. Those of us who did this in the old days of SAC gave a great deal of thought to what we were up to and never, once, did I hear a crew member lightly suggest that we could end the problems in a certain area of the world by toggling off a Mk 28.

A great deal of the trouble we currently find ourselves in flows directly from the folks back East who put about this much thought into their actions.

It's not so different....we see this sort of thing every day. And it doesn't work. Relatively cheap, huh?

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 6 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]298584[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure this phrase was uttered by Gdub right before we went into Iraq.

18. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Ok, so you've all finally answered this question... We went in to Iraq because you all recognize the consequences of handling the problem in another way.

The nukes would do the trick, but the neighbors wouldn't appreciate a job done that well. So, that's why our troops are in there.

Any other questions, that one was easy.

19. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Here's the problem... there was NO threat from Iraq! The Iraq war was against international law!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 4 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]297817[/snapback]</div>
    Kinda like the one that existed before the govt got involved in Iraq (I'm talking pre 90s)?

-----
    Don't ever accept that this war was justified!!!! There needs to be accountability in the decision to go to war!

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, never... and I mean NEVER... let anyone tell you that you're anti-patriotic for exposing the gaping flaws about our government!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had enough with (mostly liberals) people being pigeonholed and falsely led to accepting something like the Iraq war!

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 4 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]297808[/snapback]</div>

And your view on the hundreds of thousands of American lives wasted during WWII so over 100,000 people in
    London could demonstrate their support for Hezbollah and terrorists in the Middle East last week?