1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are so many businesses such liars?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by caffeinekid, Mar 25, 2011.

1. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whether you call it "spin", "creative" advertising or employing doublespeak- just generally taking liberties with people's trust- I am talking about downright lying. Example:

This one from a franchise car dealer (surprise, surprise) trying to pass of a 6yr old Prius with 90k miles for > $12,000.00.
    "Wholesale" my nice person. Try high retail. :mad:

I have been in business for long enough to smell it like skunk musk. It is ubiquitous in our society. I could list example after example from everything from cellular providers to food companies.

Ranty rant-rant. :)

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The ad got your attention.

If it had been honest you'd never have looked twice at it. Think of ads as the 2x4 you hit the nice person with to get its attention, in that old joke. Lying is vital to nature itself - think of all the courship rituals and deceptive reproductive stratagems integral to every species - no species would survive if sex wasn't overrated and exaggerated to make you give it priority over having another banana or watching another rerun.

So it is with Madison Ave. Get you to give their pitch priority over turning the page, or changing the channel, or clicking some other icon.

Lying is important.

The problem isn't the lying - it's that we believe them that gets us into so much trouble.