1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are these threads so popular?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Oxo, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At this moment there have been 6,825 replies to "Free Word Association"; 3,466 to "Question everything"; 1,098 to "Only three words", etc.
    I never bother to open these threads having looked at them once or twice and found them totally uninteresting. So why are they so popular? Are they weighing down PriusChat and wasting time and space?

:unsure:

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They're silly fun. At least that's why I participate.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 23 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]395397[/snapback]</div>
    I would guess that they're not a waste of time and space with that many replies! I don't participate in those threads but do relish Galaxee's "next poster" thread.

4. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 23 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]395397[/snapback]</div>
    Like Proco said... they're fun. Everything doesn't have to be so serious and stuffy. And how can they be wasting anyone's time or space if you find them uninteresting and choose not to participate?

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Feb 23 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]395416[/snapback]</div>
    Besides, where else would I go to get my daily muffin fix?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aw, lighten up oxo. folks are just having some harmless fun. :)

7. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a lot more fun than working.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think they're totally stupid and I know I would never get caught posting in any of those threads.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 23 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]395397[/snapback]</div>
    I started "Word" after seeing "Three Words" and then "Two Words" as a harmless parody of those threads. My next one was going to be " ". Everyone would post with no words. Most posts seem to go political so quickly that they make as much sense as the Word, etc. posts. BTW you did take the time to look up the total posts and post about posts you find totally uninteresting. :p

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excommunicate me if you must for the blasphemy I'm about to utter, but a whole site dedicated to one car is...boring. I mean, how much fun can it be to explain for the zillionth time that yes, the light stays on in the glovebox. Nothing against Toyota, or Danny, or all those kind and helpful people who tell us what to do when something goes wrong. (Never mind the people who tell us where to go.)

In a word, Oxo: fun. :)
    In other words, nobody gets hurt or blows a fuse, and most of us can expand our vocabulary and develop our laugh lines at the same time. How and why we have 2,500 posts about muffins is out of my hands.

Now, anybody ready for another word game? :blink:

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I've always envisioned them as those really big beach balls that tend to come out when a sporting event gets a little boring or folks want to have a little fun.

Each time someone posts on one of these threads it's like they hit the ball back up in the air, you lose if you let it hit the ground.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Feb 23 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]395469[/snapback]</div>
    OK, you can lay all blame on me.

I started Free Word Association [although a moderator showed lack of netiquette and stole it from me when the original string crashed *].

I started it because I thought it would be fun, easy to participate in (no need for novel-ish, deep-thought :huh: :rolleyes: responses), and Danny can now rake in the big bucks with the additional per-click online advertisement revenue. Besides, I placed it in FHOP . . . so what's the complaint? :huh:

[ * here's to hoping that someday a moderator or Danny will right that wrong. :( ]

13. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 23 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]395397[/snapback]</div>

Life is huge joke, with only two serious milestones: birth & death; anything in-between is a %$#@ing joke. :lol:

14. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are a good way to bump up your posts if that's important to someone. I clicked on one of those threads once to see what it was about, but after that I have just ignored them so they don't bother me in the least.

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Feb 23 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]395582[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all replies. I wasn't complaining - just asking, and now I know. Of course we all have our different ideas of what's fun.

If you ask me (you probably won't) why I look at PriusChat almost every day, the answer is because I often find something of interest, or something informative, (not necessarily about my car) or something thought- provoking, or something amusing. I'm inclined to be curious about the USA because I don't think it's as bad as so often painted by the foreign media. And PriusChat is cheaper and quicker than buying the NY Times or less tedious than looking at other sites relating to the USA or crossing the Atlantic. In fact PriusChat is often a door to interesting things elsewhere.

For example it was here that I first saw a reference to Al Gore's AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. I bought the DVD as soon as I could and then I bought a book on the subject and now I'm a supporter of all reduce-carbon measures (hence my proposal to cancel the London Olympics - a proposal not yet given any space in British newspapers or elsewhere).

You may well ask why I bother to post anything on PC, but that will be for another topic...

I hope Galaxee finds this light enough.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're not a waste of time or space if people enjoy them. I posted a few times, then got bored and I don't open them any more. But they will last as long as people enjoy them, and that's as it should be.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 24 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]395799[/snapback]</div>
    I respect that you have higher standards of what's funny than...um...some of the rest of us. (me?)

Somewhere between the flame wars and the word play, I would think most people are able to find a comfortable middle ground. It's increasingly difficult to discuss anything of import in our polarised societies, without people picking sides and choosing their weapons. For a chatroom, PriusChat does pretty well, comparatively. Yes, we could and probably should be choosing the cerebral over the silly, tackling deeper philosophical issues and making positive changes in the world. Lead on, Oxo. :)

18. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Feb 24 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]395876[/snapback]</div>
    What's this hyo? Are you really saying it's time for us all to choose cerebral muffins over silly muffins, tackle philosophical muffin issues and to make positive muffin changes in the world? Yeah... I thought so too! B)

19. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cerebral exercise for the internet age. or something like that.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Feb 24 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]395876[/snapback]</div>
    My cat's breath smells like cat food!