1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why aren't ALL packages available everywhere?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMachine, Nov 9, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seems really stupid to me that some of us have to travel half way across the country to get a '06 option package we want -- #4 in my case, for instance.

Why doesn't Toyota have all packages availabe in every region and let us make up our own minds about what we want, instead of someone deciding what we want for us?

I'm sure there is some economic reason for it, but I just don't buy it.

Does this irk anyone else?

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It definitely irks me! I want a Package #7 but remember hearing somewhere that the package was not available in California, but Package #8 is. #8 adds on leather interior at an additional ~$1160 which I could really do without.

I've never much liked leather seating to begin with, and the cloth seats in the upgraded Prius I test drove were very much to my liking. And now I may either have to pay extra $ for leather seating I don't care for, or somehow find a way to talk my dealer into snagging a Package 7 from a region that carries them if he can and if he will. And I refuse to go down below #7 as Navigation is extremely important to me-it's non-negotiable. :)

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't know. I wanted a #5, but had to "settle" for a #6 as you can only get a #1, #3 and #6 in So Cal (I tried in Nevada, but failed).

My father said it reminded him of after WWII when dealers put on the most options as they could. They knew people were willing to spend just about anything for something as rare as a new car and there was a lot of profit in the options. In this case it's the rare Prius. :)

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

My guess is they know for instance that hill-billies don't need the Navigation option because all 100 people in thier town know where the 2 gas stations and 4 resterants are. There's only 1 highway and no cell phone repeaters so the BT is no good because Sprint's all digital nation-wide (built from the ground up) system can't be heard. And since the NAV doesn't show POI for cattle and sheep nobody would ever want to buy that package.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    roflmao -- man that hit home hard -- you got where I live in Vermont down to a tee except we don't have all that many sheep :lol:

But we do need a nav system when we go to Walmart to buy cheese whiz and Hostess Dinky Twinkies.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Regional distributors make the choices as to which options they'll sell. Since they're in charge of selling cars for the entire region, they're the ones to contend with. They buy their cars from Toyota, add some options at port (OK, that's mostly SET) and ship them out to dealers who sell the cars to people.

If you want a car your regional distributor doesn't carry, you have to go to a state that is serviced by a different distributor.

Stupid, but I guess that's the way some things go.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is what irks the hell out of me. I am questioning why they do this? It really does make no sense from the customer's viewpoint and we go along with it like sheep.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I guess not everything makes sense. Toyota employs distibutors to take on the cost of distibuting their cars in the US. While it would be great if we could just pick up any car anywhere, that's capitalism for you. :rolleyes:

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    My uneducated guess is that it makes their lives easier by SEEMING to be able to satisfy their customers' [forcibly reduced] desires.

8 colors X 8 packages = 64 possible color/package combos.

8 colors X 3 packages = 24 possible color/package combos

In other words, if they can artificially lower customers' expectations UP FRONT by limiting package/combo choices, both their (dealers') odds and customers' odds of getting what they "ordered" goes way up.

Yeah, it sucks. I want a #2. How many 2's do you think there will be? None here in CA. So if I buy here, I'll have to settle for #3. And how many "low-end" Priuses do you think Toyota will make compared to #5 and higher?

My odds are reduced appreciably from the git-go.

10. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I read a post recently that put my regions allocation at 15% #2 and the remaining 85% for packages #6, 7, & 8. :(
    I want #4 so I have to drop down to #2 unless my dealer can get a #4 from NJ.

11. shellfish

shellfish Junior Member

Is there a map or a listing somewhere showing the Toyota regions and what states are in each region? I'd like to see how far I have to drive to get what I want.

Shelly

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Look in the Dealers and Pricing Forum. At the top of the first page are "pinned" two threads; one is "How to find out...SE Region Allocations". There's a post listing states in each region AND a link back to an older PC thread with another listing.

13. cowboy

cowboy New Member

Well, I did get a chuckle aka007ii. Actually, I ordered the cowboy nav option which will be able to locate my cattle since I imbed a chip in their ears......
    Hey, watch what you say about cow chips..... :lol:

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have always thought that capitalism should give consumers more choices, not fewer.

15. QED

QED New Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you consider ALL the combinations, there are 117 possible color/package choices.

That is: 9 option packages and 13 ext/int color combinations (9X13=117)

Let's say a dealer got 30 prius/month. That would mean, on average, they would only get ONE(!) of each combo every 4 MONTHS. Of course, this does not take into account that the high-end packages will roll of the assembly line first :p

Lot's of choices (probably too many) and every dealer clearly cannot be expected to carry all of them. I am on the list for an '06 (my dealer only has 72 combinations coming in) and first thought that I would have to push the dealer to delay delivery until Jan. Now I'm thinking I will be lucky to get one of my top combo choices by April :(

BTW: greetings guys. My first post. I'm on the list for a Seaside Pearl #3,w/grey interior. What are the odds that combo will show up in Jan. Slim at best.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You could go to Build Your Toyota and enter your ZIP code. The packages that are available in your area will be the only ones you can check. Changing the ZIP code may change the availability.

17. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

This site doesn't include 2006 MY yet.

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Greetings, qed! Thanks for the post taking into account what I hadn't---interior color choices.

I have exactly the same combo "ordered" as you. B)

19. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Welcome to PC.

There are 8 option packages for 2006 and not all color combinations are available.
    This will significantly reduce the overall number.

I'm tired and too lazy to add 'em up. Any volunteers? :p

20. QED

QED New Member