1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Blur License Plates?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Betelgeuse, May 14, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quandry:

Why do people blur out their license plates when they post pictures on the web (i.e. see here)? Social Security number, I can understand, but your license plate is on display to (at least) hundreds of people a day in the "real world."

Moreover, the people who see it out in the real world often can guess where you live (i.e. if they see you parking in an apartment parking lot), where you shop, and your daily routine. On PriusChat, we just know the state and, perhaps, the city that you live in.

I just feel like most people do it because they see other people do it and feel like they should follow suit in the name of privacy. But I don't really see any good reason to blur it out; am I wrong?

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

If you make malicious enemies online...

...serious internet stalkers...

...that sort of thing...

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think they do it for a sense of privacy and security. I mean, it's just like the same reason people do not use their real name on an online chatroom. But that's just silly; only a total dufus would give out their real name. Right Evan? Danny?

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 14 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]255253[/snapback]</div>
    So, stalkers only exist online? I would be much more concerned by the people you cut off on the highway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 14 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]255277[/snapback]</div>
    I can even understand the name issue. If I know your name, I can find out a lot of information about you relatively easily. However, I think (and I may be wrong) that it's much harder to connect license plates to other personal information.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It is not likely you will meet someone who hates you in your day to day life. You don't frequent where these people are, if you do, you don't spaek with them, if you do, you don't anger them

Think about your daily interactions.

Now, online, anonymity allows you to say things you you would not normally say to friends or to enemies for that matter.

So, online you can easily latch onto or say soething to someone who will then want to 'get even". It is a good idea to not give out too much info.

Actually, some of my co-workes think I am a fool to let people know i am a policeman.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ May 14 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]255331[/snapback]</div>
    This is just the sort of statement that REALLY GETS ME STEAMED UP. HOW CAN YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

Just kidding. It is amazing how hot people can get with email and postings. :blink:

Tom

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It certainly keeps me out of SouthWest Ohio, I can tell you that! ;)

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 14 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]255347[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

There have been times that this example is all too real!!!!

9. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Well, in my county, you can use Tag numbers to get name and address information on anyone with a traffic violation (as well as the list of violations!) - we used to have fun looking up teachers' and principals' driving records =)

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pretty much the same question I asked in regard to the CA HOV stickers. Folks were reporting their numbers as 53xxx, and I couldn't figure out why the X's were used. Yes... the privacy thing again. I can think of a LOT easiers ways of getting info than trying to track you down through the HOV sticker number, but hey - if it makes you feel good, then I'm all for it. :)

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ May 14 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]255331[/snapback]</div>
    I agree,

I recently had a friend go through this on A*L and it wasnt pretty... this enemy went as far as finding out where he lived, watching him, digging through his garbage for personal info (bills & stuff), buying the same make and color of his car, donned a diguise and went to the bank and emptied & closed my friends account, had the water and power shut off, then bragged through emails to my friend taunting him to call the police, the person even told him that he liked what he has done with his pool, he has a 6' privacy fence around his back yard.. So yes this is a real serious issue. (Cyber Stalking)

People can get real Wacky Nu Nu online and in person, so yes hide your information as best you can and any credit card approvals you get in the mail discard them by the use of a shredder same goes for anything else that you would not want others to see/ have that has any personal info on it same goes for shopping online..

If you suspect you have inraged another driver and they are following you drive to the nearest police station/ ie call them on your cell and tell them you think the guy behind you is suffering from road rage
    and stay on the phone with the dispacher and tell them everywere your driving so the officers can come to you.....

Im sure Schmika and other officers would agree..........

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't believe what I'm reading here!

All the same people who have NO PROBLEM with secretive gov't intrusion into their privacy are here advocating numerous measures to preserve their privacy! Strangers might abuse them!

This childish faith and trust in the gov't just floors me (especially THIS gov't).

I find I've done exactly the reverse: I sign my real name and my real city on my posts - I don't fear my fellow man so much that I want to hide who I am. Anyway, I try not to be deliberately insulting, which is what leads to fistfights, not differences in opinion or ideology.

But I fear and deeply distrust gov't. It puts awesome power into the hands of mere mortal humans who are strangers to me, and who can ruin me without a flicker of conscience as they flex their authortarian muscle. And THIS gov't careering at accelerating speed toward fascism is terrifying to behold.

I've nothing to hide from my neighbors; and EVERYTHING to hide from gov't. And that's true across all history and all gov'ts.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i blur mine on every pic i post

*edit*

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 14 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]255277[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. You'd have to be a complete idiot to do that.

15. Mystery Squid

You know, to those who can't fathom why someone wouldn't want personal information posted up publicly online, especially within chatrooms, you have no idea how malicious people can be. You get someone f'd up enough and they can make your life really, REALLY, irritating, if not flat out painful. I've known people who have actually been tracked down and STALKED because they ticked off someone online for whatever reason. It's especially bad when it comes to stuff like dating, or an ex gets ticked off and decides to... well, you get the idea.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't mind the blurring. If I posted my car with the plate, I'd probably do the same.

Still, I'm willing to put down the city where I live on this chat. Other's are a lot more vague.

To each their own. :)

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid extra for that vanity plate, I ain't gonna blur it now!! Is it bad to show what your house looks like in the background? Maybe I should blur that!
    [​IMG]

18. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 16 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]256157[/snapback]</div>
    Nice frontal, looks like a close-up wide-angle shot, great composition.

Nice panoramic reflection of trees and hills on the bumper. Skillfully done.

:)

19. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ May 16 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]256180[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent avatar dsunman

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ May 16 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]256180[/snapback]</div>
    I'd be funny if he just whipped out a cheap digi-cam and took a quick shot... :lol: