1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why bother with 5K dealer maitenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alokeprasad, Jun 8, 2010.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that there's no oil change involved, is it worth the trip? What's the point (except maybe to get tires rotated)?

Should I skip this and save the $ for having the dealer check the fluid levels @ $160/hr or whatever they charge these days?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as you never need warranty repairs, and are unconcerned about tire life, there is no point to doing the scheduled service.

My dealer charges $13 for tire rotation and $29 for oil change and inspection. Since I have a 2009, I still need to do this every 5000 miles. $43 every 2 months is not killing me. (if I had a 2010 oil and rotation would be $66, which means I would pay the same, just at different intervals)

3. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do I have to get services done at the dealer to get warranty? Can't I check the fluids myself?

Tire rotation can affect only tire warranty, which is separate.

My point is: What will the dealer do at the 5K service that is non-trivial and can't be easily done by us?

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's what they do at 5K miles:

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
    Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    Rotate tires
    Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

There are other things like driving on dirt roads, cold temps, extensive idling (!!) that don't apply to me.

I'll go, with the intent of supporting the local beleaguered economy :) It's not much for the $100 or so that this will end up costing (I'm guessing ..)

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would be $13 at Kirk Toyota, in Grenada MS, for $87 in gas you can almost drive there. (assuming your time is free)

You can enter your records online so Toyota has a complete history. (there is a notes field, you could post URLs of pictures of you doing the service)

7. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope it is closer to your cost than my guess. A dealer service for $13 here is mind-boggling.
    Anyway, no point in continuing this useless thread.
    Bye, and thanks for your replies.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, they let you drive 5,000 miles hoping the carpets are installed correctly?

9. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe it is the Darwin's Principle to ensure only the worthy get to drive Priuses :)

10. tickmark40

tickmark40 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a 2 year free service contract with my 2010 Prius. Without it, my dealer would charge $13 for tire rotation visit and $29.95 for the oil change.

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am surprised it is that low for the synthetic oil. I pay that much for the Dino oil.

12. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm pretty sure that recording your services is not required to keep your warranty. Do you have anything that says otherwise?? How would anyone know if you're lying about services performed? If you're really concerned, keep the receipts.

13. davidtx

davidtx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got the same warranty, I think it's a Toyota incentive. My dealer also gives lifetime free oil changes.

14. Old Drum

Old Drum New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my dealer to change oil at 1000 miles. My understanding, with synthetic oil, the next change is at 10,000. Is that correct?

15. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like this, and wish more thought the same :)

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's getting the fully synthetic oil change price quote of $30? It's $60 in north TX (checked with the 3 dealerships).

18. sti-nkr

sti-nkr Prius Ricer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so you HAVE to take your car in for regular maintenance at the scheduled times for you warranty to be in effect? ( hope I used the right one there)

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No. If Toyota questions your regular maintenance, you need to be able to prove it was done by someone. Dated Invoices with mileage and parts used/services rendered would be fine. It does NOT have to be a Toyota dealer.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At 5000 miles it's still a practically a new car. I think the OP is correct in assuming it's probably in most cases an unwarranted trip and expense.

But also as pointed out it's good insurance. It's verifiable attention to the vehicle if future warranty work would ever be needed or questioned...you can say you had it done, per recommendation.

Also I would say some people are more attentive to their vehicles than other people. For most people a 5000 mile check-up IS probably mostly a waste of time. But even a new vehicle can have a leaking hose, or connection or some other manifestation that might go uncaught...that just might be visibly caught after 5000 miles and a check by a mechanic.

I think a 5000 mile check-up is more beneficial for those that buy a vehicle, drive it, but seldom even look under the hood. (that's not me, but it does happen)

To me, I don't understand why people will pay $20,000+ for a vehicle, but then balk at a maintenance visit of less than $100? It's well worth it to avoid warranty claim issues...and just incase they do see something.

However, I do understand being suspicious of the term "inspection" because I always wonder to what degree? I CAN and DO open the hood and inspect fluid levels...even on a new car...plus I would think what one considers an inspection could and probably does change from dealership service department to dealership service department and maybe even from technician and technician.

So in short...yeh it's probably a waste of time and money, but IMO a waste of time and money that might be worth wasting the time and money over....if only to avoid any chance of warranty issues and just on the outside rare chance that something is discovered...

Honestly, I think a visual inspection after X number of miles of a new purchased vehicle should be part of ownership, but also I think it should be free...something dealerships and the manufacturers simply provide. I know growing up my parents bought new cars and I remember that being presented to them as a service that was offered as part of the purchase....I think it was usually called a 'New Vehicle Check-Up"...it allowed a period of time for things to manifest..and also gave the dealership a chance to address "tweaks" like squeaks or loose seats...more common things that sometimes pop up.