1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why buy a Hybrid if you don't drive very much?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 11, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If someone only drives 6 or even 8k miles a year, it doesn't seem so smart to have a hybrid car. With CA 10 yr/150k warranty, they would only have 80k miles at 10 yrs old, then they are out of battery warranty. They are subject to a possible $3.5k repair bill, at least at Toyota, and over $1,600 for a used battery from a place like Luscious Garage in SF.

I just saw a post in the Gen II forum from an '06 Prius owner with 98,000 miles whose hybrid battery failed. Toyota said replacement cost is $3,500 and assuming they are in an 8yr/100k state, they came within 2k miles of having to foot that $3.5k bill ! (Toyota is going to honor the warranty)

I called Piercey Toyota and they confirm this type of cost for hybrid battery replacement. Service Advisor said 'if you think that's bad, they used to cost $8k to replace when Prius first came out' (I thought it was more like $5k). Ouch!!!

The service advisor said one of the worst things for the battery is if the car sits a lot. He said the best thing for a hybrid is to get out and drive a lot, charge the battery a lot.

I know a lot of people just do not drive all that much. I don't expect them to get a hybrid or any other type of plugin car if they only drive occasionally.

--------------
    I've done the math a number of times to find it takes about 75k miles to make up the common $3.5k cost difference (Camry LE to Hybrid LE). Then 75k miles will be needed to 'save up' for the (possible) new hybrid battery. Seems better to drive something near 12 to 15k miles / year for it to be worth it.

JMD likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    People who do not drive frequently, or only drive short distances are on my 'who should not buy a Prius' post

considering a Prius | PriusChat
    Honest, if it is just going to sit in your driveway, a Nissan Versa is a good car.

ralleia and cycledrum like this.
  3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good analysis..

Also there's the green benefits and don't forget Prius strong resale value. Also, there are alternates to factory batteries so you don't have to buy a factory one.

How about people who don't drive far my just short trips?

4. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You assume "worth it" means $$. In that case, I'll believe your numbers. But people buy cars for various reasons. What's the $$ value to using less foreign oil? What's the emotional value for doing one's part in using less foreign oil? Etc. We already pay an extra price (the "hybrid premium") for our Prius. Is that extra price "worth it"? By just crunching the numbers, the average person will recoup that premium after 8 or so years. I'm just not sure you can make $$ sense out of buying a Prius until after year 8. Many people here have already said they would not keep their Prius that long. Mike

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the way were are headed in Virginia penalizing hybrid ownership with very high property taxes and hybrid car surcharges, I think you really need to evaluate if using a hybrid under <12000 miles a years makes any sense. Getting a non-hybrid you could save ~$4000 on vehicle and $2000-3000 in taxes. And presumably better MPG non-hybrid ICE's coming out these days. Implication is we need a Prius ICE version.

PS- Obviously if your state is kinder and gentler re: hybrid car fees, then you are OK with low miles as long as you know how to keep the battery happy.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I see your mention that if you drive Prius once a week, things will be ok. Of course ... but, driving several times a week, it's very possible to only rack up 5 or 6k miles a year.

I don't think we have good data on how hybrid batteries hold up with regular, but lower miles use up to and after 8 or 10 years.

My old Toyota truck is 24 years old, a 1988 SR5 4WD pickup. It sits .. a lot. I don't worry much about the battery because it only cost $110 to replace 5 years ago and has I think 6 or 7 year warranty. But, 1, 2 or $3k to replace with a 1 year factory warranty?? That's serious. Toyota hybrid replacement batteries have 1 yr warranty.

7. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive 9 - 10k miles/year but I really like my hybird. It's quitet drive, high tech engine. Of course I could go for a way cheaper car and get much better TCO. Especially when insurance is calculated on the displacement rather than power (so 1.0 Ford Ecoboost owner pays half of the Prius insurance only because of engine).
    So not everyone buy a car based only on TCO. Some people just like one or another car and that's drives their decisions :)

Silver bullit and andy_p like this.
  8. Hoosier1

Hoosier1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with sfcyclist, the Prius has excellent resale value, and who expects gasoline prices to remain below four bucks a gallon long term. The Prius is a well made, solid and very reliable car with upscale appeal for many owners. Also, my wife just purchased a new Lexus 300h after owning a Camry Hybrid for four years. The Lexus 300h comes with a small premium of less than $3,000. Toyota has almost perfected hybrid technology and manufactures desirable cars.

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, less reliant on oil!

Rebound likes this.
  10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm assuming this is NOVA only?

11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are many factors that enter into the choice of car.
    My wife and I find the packaging of the Prius appealing--easy ingress and egress, flat floor, roomy back seat, hatchback cargo capability, etc. I don't know of too many other vehicles that can match it.
    We have no idea where fuel prices will go in the next ten years.
    At least in these cooler states, the battery is unlikely to go bad on the schedule that you've set for it and non-Toyota sources for replacement batteries will continue to pull the replacement costs down.
    I'm very happy to commute in a vehicle that arguably spews less pollutants than anything else around.

As a rust belt resident I could just as easily question why Californians buy new cars at all! It's not as if they're going to rust away in your lifetime and new cars depreciate like crazy. Much wiser to keep your cars 15-20-30 years.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new hybrid fee $100/yr is everyone - Go to NoHybridTax.com to sign petition if opposed.

As far as property tax, NoVa is probably worse but you may have similar taxes. Each locality has its own property tax structure, but they tend to be similar. Localities are also allowed to give tax relief to hybrids, but I only know one locality that does so (Arlington) but they have reduced that benefit in recent years.

13. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :cool:I have no problem justifying my new 2012 Prius Plug-In Advance, purchased seven weeks ago, short of $36000 (not counting TTL), financed at zero percent for sixty months, including ALL extras. Whether I keep it a few years, or many years, low mileage or high mileage at trade or sell. Everything considered, it's a bargain. Plus, it's fun to drive, and I'm saving money on my driving expenses. If not a Prius, what? Chances are a higher priced, less fuel efficient, less reliable, but higher depreciating vehicle at trade or sell. Made sense seven weeks ago, makes more sense now.

wjtracy likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be very curious to know the warranty and replacement cost of that Li Ion battery in Prius plug in. I asked Piercey Toyota and the parts advisor could not answer. I see fuelly.com lists an aggregate of about 75 mpg for PiP. Assuming $4 gas, it would take 65k miles to overcome the cost difference over a brand new Accord EX-L w/ nav.

Are these 4 kWh Li Ion packs $4k or more to replace?

PiP doesn't seem to make financial sense for someone who drives 8k miles a year; You will reach 64k miles in 8 years catching up with Accord EX-L/nav, then battery warranty is over. At that few miles, might as well get a Leaf.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^Good question I do not think Virginia is CARB state, but somewhere I saw it said maybe.
    If it is CARB you have 10yr/150k mile warranty, right?

16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I chose the most fuel efficient Prius currently available. Considering the rebate and 0%, sixty month financing, I'll spread the cost of the PIP option over the next five years. Comfortable with my purchase, I'll utilize it to minimize my transportation expenses for the period of ownership. Only hindsight will tell.
    :)17 states (& DC) have now adopted our strict California Air Resources Board standards for vehicle emissions. These states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Utah, and Washington.

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Without a MTBF this is a useless analysis. The point is NOT the price of a replacement battery / dollars saved per mile * miles driven. It is expected replacement cost, in other words cost of replacement battery * likelihood of failure / dollars saved per mile * miles driven.

For 'other plugin cars' it is even more flawed. A Leaf, for example, is going to benefit from being optimally charged most of the time, and that battery will last correspondingly longer.

Here is an important question. If one is only driving occasionally, does it make sense to have a car at all? If one adds up price, insurance, taxes, gas, parking, etc. at what point is it better to just hire a taxi? If a car costs $6,000 per year, how many taxi trips is that?

ralleia and Silver bullit like this.
  18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I would re-title the thread to read "Why buy a -car- if you don't drive a lot!" A friend has done this, no car, using public transportation and rentals. He saves a lot of money.

ralleia likes this.
  19. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long one keeps it doesn't matter. What matters is how long the car lasts. Better fuel economy translates into resale value, so if the lifespan of a Prius is ten years, and it pays back in 8, then ALL its owners benefit.

For many, it isn't even a matter of payback. If one borrows money to pay for the car, then what matters is monthly payments, and for many people, like myself, the Prius was the cheapest car to buy from day 1.

20. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I only drove 6K a year, I would be bicycling most of it, so you are right, the purchase definitely doesn't make sense.

JeffHastings likes this.