1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why can't I get a tuneup?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by required_username, Sep 9, 2015.

1. required_username

required_username Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have no idea which forum I should use.
    2008 Prius and, I'm guessing, a tuneup is maintenance.
    I make a specific trip quite often and, for years, this trip has averaged 50-53MPG in the summer. This summer? 45-47 MPG. On my last visit to the dealer, I requested a tuneup. The service guy said they don't do tuneups on cars less than 100,000 miles - my Prius has 86,000. Later I asked another cervice guy who said Toyota doesn't do tuneups on cars less than 100,000.
    Really? I would think I could get a tuneup every year if I were willing to pay for it. Will Toyota REALLY not allow me to get a tuneup?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The plugs in your car are rated to last 100k miles, have you checked other mileage robbers? Tire pressures, 12 volt battery, are you carrying more stuff in the car this year?

Danny3xd likes this.
  3. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMO, tune-ups are for older cars with points, carbs, and the like that constantly require adjustment/tuning. When you say tune-up on a car like the Prius I think of a service interval, change filter, plugs, oil, and so forth. So maybe the stealerships techs heard tune up and said 100k because that is when your plugs are due.
    I would call another stealership, or a Yota specific mechanic to preform the service you desire.

Danny3xd likes this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's a tuneup?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'd guess the biggest difference is that, for cars of much older vintage, "a tuneup" was an actual, expected thing to have to do. Those cars had a bunch of minor, relatively inexpensive, parts known to wear out or deteriorate sort of rapidly with use (points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs) and it made sense to have a regularly scheduled job where you would just change all those en masse because it was easy and cheap and they probably needed it, and the engine was probably running poorly by that time and would run better when you were done.

Fast forward to your Prius, and out of that whole list, spark plugs are the only things it still even has. And those are iridium-tipped and I've only changed mine twice in the time I've had my car, and one of them was in less-than-perfect condition, the first time.

Because of the almost complete elimination of those minor, nuisance, wearing out components in the engine, the whole experience of running-gets-rough, buy-magic-cheap-bag-o-parts, fling-them-on, engine-all-better-again just really isn't a thing any more. It's not that it's never possible to develop an engine issue, it's just that if one does develop, it's much more likely to be the result of some identifiable problem, where it makes more sense to just find what that problem is and fix it.

-Chap

Danny3xd and Britprius like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both of those people should have recommended the toyota 90,000 mile service. it is the modern equivalent of a 'tune up', the most important part being you air filter. if that, ture pressure and 12v battery don't help your mpg's, you'll need to search here for things like throttle body cleaning, pcv valve, injectors and etc. all the best!(y)

7. required_username

required_username Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I remember tuneups with plugs, condenser, blah, blah. If it helps, I told the service rep WHY I wanted a tuneup - losing ~5 mpg. He still said 100,000 miles. No reference to battery or tire pressure (mine are at suggested pressure). Next time I'll ask him what he suggests to get mpg back.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When I ask for a transaxle fluid change, my mechanic comes to me in the waiting room, and tells me it is not due yet. When I explain I am using a more aggressive schedule than he is, he does it even though it is not due. This is ideal if you think about it, not overselling, but not refusing the customer's desire either.

The only other items that even seem 'tune up'y on a Prius are Spark Plugs, and the PCV Valve. Someone should sit you down and tell you they are not yet scheduled, then take your money.
    Every
    Oil 10,000 miles/12 months
    Oil filter 10,000 miles/12 months
    Air filter 30,000 miles/36 months
    Cabin Air filter 30,000 miles/36 months
    Spark Plugs 120,000 miles/144 months
    PCV Valve Seems to be warrantied for 80,000 miles/ 8 years, but to specified replacement mentioned, I would replace it at the same time as the spark plugs.
    ATF WS in Transaxle no mention of a replacement interval in the manual, I use 30,000 miles, 90,000 miles then every 90,000 miles

I would guess that eventually Brake fluid would need replacing at the Dealer (it is non trivial) but that would be based more on humidity than mileage.

Same story, eventually the coolant (both loops) needs replaced, but I would not do so based on mileage.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to download the owner's manual (or dig it out of the glove box) and read the schedule of maintenance.

What you're dealing with is a very rare.....**VERY RARE*** example of a dealership that is not trying to use your lack of familiarity with the G2 to make some extra boat payments.

There is no such thing as a tune-up any more.
    The schedule of maintenance will detail what should have been done to your car by now, and what is not needed at this time, and the dealer might have a history for this car if you or the previous owner did maintenance with a dealership so you don't double tap things like transaxle fluid replacement,

One of the good things about Priuses?
    They require very little maintenance---just like most modern (post 2000) small, 4 cylinder, 5-pax, FWD cars.
    Get the history to see what's been done, find out what's needed right now and get back to us.

A sudden 5MPG drop isn't a maintenance issue....it's a repair issue.
    There's a guide out there somewhere for that.
    I'd be looking at things like tire pressures, oil level, 12v battery health, brakes, etc.