1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Can't I See USB File Folders in 2012 Prius Three

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fjvb, May 6, 2012.

1. fjvb

fjvb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 2012 Prius Three a few weeks ago and use a USB for music. The problem I have is that there is no option to see the file folders in the USB drive. Is this an option not available for the 2012 or do I need to somehow reprogram the stereo? I've seen video for the 2012 Prius v and you can view folders!

Help!

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put three albums with folders titled for each album on a USB stick and all folders, folder names and song title's were listed on the display. I have the 7.1 system. It might be different on the 6.1 system. I selected USB on the top edge of the display where it shows the different music sources.

Mike

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah the top edge of screen should show folder or file details, but remember it wont sort types of music, it will just list the file folders and file name. make it simple on the computer then copy it to the usb. dont go too deep into folders keep it simple.

4. fjvb

fjvb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It shows album folders, but when I try to create a folder, such as a compilation with tracks from various albums, I can't see that file folder. I can only see each individual tracks under the actual album that the song was ripped from. There doesn't appear to be a selection called file, only Album, Artist, Song, etc.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using Windows or Linux? I don't know if there would be a difference or not as I have not ran Windows in many years. All my MP3's & their folders were created in Linux if that matters why I can see them in my car. IDK...

Mike

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's really a good system. What it does is that it scans through your audio files and it reads their metadata tags -- the Song/Artist/Album/Genre/Album Art data that's stored inside each file. After the long initial scan, it creates a database so that it can quickly display lists and sort by album/artist/etc.

But it doesn't let you browse through a file directory. It's too smart for that.

1 person likes this.
  7. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi
    I too have a Prius Three with 6" Display Audio with Entune system with exactly the same issue - the audio system is unable to list USB files by folder/file. It can only list the files using the Album/Artist tags. I've tried removing all ID3 tags from the music files, but still no luck - it just dumps all the files into a single alphabetically sorted list.

I've come to a kludgy solution which involves writing the folder name as a mp3 tag, e.g., all files in the first folder on the USB flash drive have their ALBUM tag set to "folder1", all files in the second folder get their ALBUM tag set to "folder2" etc. That way, it is possible to browse via the Album name, which is now the same as the folder. But this requires that the ALBUM tag be manually changed each time a file is added to the USB drive.

It would be great if someone could figure out how to get the USB folder view working without the need for any special mods.

Thanks.