1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why can't I sell my Prius?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TVT_Design, Jul 28, 2009.

1. TVT_Design

TVT_Design Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I've been trying to sell my 02 Prius for what seems like forever now and not one reasonable offer. Here's my autotrader link: 2002 Toyota Prius in Dunellen, NJ 08812: Sedan Details - 265264130 - AutoTrader.com

I've posted on Craigslist and on this forum as well. The thing has a new Hybrid Drive, I thought that alone would push the sale.

Anyone have advice on what I'm doing wrong?

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Any product is worth only what the market says it's worth. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it looks like a nice vehicle. If no one is buying then you have to either lower the price, or keep being patient.

3. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you think the price is right but one can find 2004 Prius for not much more than you want. I know that your Prius is likely worth what you want but it's unlikely you will find someone willing to pay that much. Of course, if you were in the San Fran Bay Area, it would have sold long ago.

Steve

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well a few months ago bought a 04 mint for 10K out the door,58K miles. around here they are 9500.00 for a low mileage 04, you might have to wait, or lower it down near 7k :)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Notice that 4/5ths of your write-up is about the transaxle replacement and cost and nothing about the fuel savings. Perhaps this might work a little better:
    "My daily drive, the car is well maintained and mileage runs xx.x in summer and yy.y in winter. Currently has zzzz warranty remaining. Toyota warranty repair of the transaxle."
    Let me suggest listing out what you like about the car. Then craft these things into a paragraph with a 'topic sentence' and linkages to make a story. For example,

• Sedan style body for easy handling in traffic.
    • Quiet to slide through traffic and do your business.
    • Classic Prius with more space than the usual small car.
    • Tires have xx k miles with tread depth ....
    • Keep the gas hog for fun and the Prius to keep a living
    A little more emphasis on the positive. If someone is interested, you can volunteer the maintenance history but first see if anyone is interested.

Bob Wilson

6. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Need more pictures. Close ups of the interior/exterior

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The description of the car needs a total rewrite, along the lines Bob suggested above. I understand trying to turn a negative into a positive, but that's too much to chew on.

I'd describe all the great features of the car, and briefly mention a transferable extended warranty on the Hybrid Drive, etc.

And more pictures, like blippo suggests. And a price of $8499 looks more appealing than $8,500.

8. TVT_Design

TVT_Design Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Ok, changed a lot of it. Dropped the price to 7999.00 and completely redid the description.

It'll be updated tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1

You've got space in the ad for nine pictures, definitely need to add more!

Your description says the exterior color is silver, but when viewing the two photos the color looks purplish, so maybe you need the photos to be taken in direct sunlight.

Good luck with your sale.

10. TVT_Design

TVT_Design Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

Fixed! I hope with this advice at least I get some interest.

11. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get rid of the middle picture closeup of the display, and replace it with an interior picture showing the condition of the seats, particularly the driver's seat, but this is a great improvement over the first ad.