1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why "debadge" your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Joekc, May 30, 2008.

1. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From what I've read over the last six months I've been here one of the popular mods is to remove all Prius/hybrid identification. While I've always taken the dealer ID off immediately, I'm not clear on why so many want to take off the markings that identify this as a unique vehicle.

With customers waiting months for this car, why hide the fact that you own one? Enlighten me.

2. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    well.. first, a Prius could never be mistaken for anything else.. And I suspect that some just like the clean lines without any badge identifications.. I think it would look great in some colors. Again, it's all a personal thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, we got rid of the dealer badges - but kept the Toyota badges. I esp. like the "HYBRID" badges. Cute pretty chrome & blue thingies, they are. :)

4. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Apropos of nothing, I had a friend who insisted any car he bought (he loved Fords, by the way) have the dealer logo removed. He said that since he worked for a newspaper which sold advertising, he would not willingly advertise for the dealer. Well, he did say he would charge the dealer $100 and keep the logo. Dealer usually removed the logo. Oddly, my friend's name was Ford.

Me, I figure a little free advertising won't hurt, but I can understand wanting the clean lines.

5. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have seen some pictures with the logos remove, I personally like the look with the logos. I would also think it would be some trouble to remove the logos because you have to fill the holes which the logos occupied.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that debadging anything other than dealer advertising is actually much less popular than you think.

Although you may read a lot about certain mods and accessories on this forum, I think in the real world only a tiny fraction of Prius owners do any of those mods or accessories.

For example, while the Prius and modifying cars are not as popular here in the Northeast as they are on the West Coast, to this day I have never randomly seen another Prius with even one modification --- not even seemingly popular ones like upgraded tires, body side moldings or removal of the dealer license plate frames.

7. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm one of those.
    The backend of the vehicle is way too busy so I removed the rear Toyota worded emblem, the rear Prius worded emblem and the front Toyota symbol. I kept all other badges.

I don't need the Toyota word and the Toyota symbol on the same panel, ...enough already.

The Toyota bra fits better without the front symbol and besides, it has the same symbol imbedded into it.

I may restore the Prius emblem to where the rear Toyota worded one was ....maybe.

Oh...and the dealer frame was the first thing to go.

ZC1

8. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i love badges, even added an avalon touring emblem, enclosed pic is of another of my fav's

Attached Files:

• hd2.jpg
      hd2.jpg
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
  9. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't buy a car with a dealer badge installed. They'd have to pay me first to advertise their business for them in that way.

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Debadging a Prius - Yes

Debadging a Harley Davidson - One would have to be crazy.

ZC1

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So you wont buy a car if they have the sticker on it? I think it would be easier to just buy it and peel the sticker off. Thats what I did. ;)

13. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my prius is my new harley

14. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Funny,
    I used to take the dealer badge off of every car I bought within minutes of buying it.
    The last buying experience I had was pretty good considering how hard it is to get a Prius now. I felt like I was buying a car from a friend. Anyway, I've had the car for a week now and can't bring myself to take the dealer sticker off the car. I kind of want to leave it on as a thank-you for the good treatment. (BTW, the dealer was Erlich Toyota in Greeley Colorado.)

As far as de-badging, its a custom car thing. Some people like the clean lines and "modded" look. Personally, the only thing I want to do to the looks of the car is add one of those blue neon tubes under the rear of the car. Especially if I could make it flicker a bit. I think that might give people a chuckle.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    only "badge" my dealer had was their custom license plate frames (seen in my avatar) . which were removed for my custom plate frame that has my slogan on it

*edit*

ooops....forgot had to take my slogan out because my signature was too big...my plate reads

Driving the Future of Automotive Technology, Today

it was a dual meaning especially true in 2004 when hybrids were ridiculed, rare and greatly misunderstood.

besides driving the most advanced car on the road, i knew that eventually the Prius would force other manufacturers to build hybrids as well despite their unwillingness to do so

16. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No badges make it easier to get the wax off. :hand:

Besides, the big red "HOV" decal ID on the back glass is a pretty good way of telling it's environmentally friendly.

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Badges .... badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges! :D

... Brad

18. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

19. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius