1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why DID Al Gore Lose in 2000?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, May 27, 2006.

?
  1. The candidacy of Ralph Nader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gore's neglect of "traditional family values" in campaigning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gore's smug, condescending decorum in a debate with Bush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. His failure to remind voters what good shape the US was in after 8 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. His refusal of Clinton's help toward the end of the campaign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. His close association in the public mind with Clinton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. His aura of unsureness, e.g., use of "image consultants"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. His lack of charisma and/or "gravitas"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bush just ran a superior campaign, to Democrats' surprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None--or more than one--of the above (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

For some---myself included---it's still painful to revisit 2000. Not just because of the endgame in FL and the intervention of the Supreme Court. But---especially now, with hindsight---the opportunity lost.

But Al Gore is undeniably in the 2008 picture, at least until he rules himself out. Is he shrewdly reinventing himself for another run, as Nixon did 8 years after losing? Does he "know" that when push comes to shove, Hillary will be seen as too big a gamble after 8 years of Bush, not only as a non-favorite of the "activist base", but among the rank-and-file?

Or did Gore simply blow it too badly, losing to a mediocre candidate at a time when things were in such good shape (relative to now) in the country that his election should have been almost automatic, to merit serious consideration for a second nomination?

Geez, besides "saving" Social Security (with the infamous "lock(ed) box"), who remembers what the major "issues" even were?

If Gore bears the responsibility for blowing it, what about him as a campaigner, as described in this poll (if anything does), best explains his loss?

Or was the culprit really Ralph Nader, pure and simple?

2. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gore really didn't lose in 2000, as most of us are painfully reminded of everyday in some form or another.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I voted for Nader in 2000. Nader did not take my vote from Gore. If Nader had not been on the ballot I'd have voted for whoever the Green Party candidate had been. And if the Green Party had not been on the ballot I'd have voted for some other protest candidate.

I'm not voting for a corrupt and morally bankrupt party just because the other party is more corrupt and more morally bankrupt. And didn't I read somewhere that Gore is a tobacco farmer?

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 26 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]261657[/snapback]</div>
    Atta Boy daniel a vote for Nader was essentially a vote for Bush! :lol:

An Inconvenient Truth about Big AL! <_<

http://www.gnn.tv/articles/2301/Some_Incon...s_About_Al_Gore

Wildkow

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]261657[/snapback]</div>
    That's why we need to institute instant runoff voting- so people can vote for the candidate for which they truly want, wthout the fear of aiding the bad guy.
    Gore's father was a tobacco farmer. He gave it up when his daughter (Al Gore's sister) died of lung cancer.

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Of the reasons you mention, it would be that Gore ran an awful campaign. He let the consultants define the campaign, just as Kerry did in 2004, with equally dismal results. The Democrats are certain to make the same mistake again, although with all the scandals in the Bush administration and his dismal poll ratings, they might get away with it.
    Despite Gore's inept campaign (or any votes taken away by Nader), he did in fact win the election legitimately. It was stolen by Katherine Harris, Jeb Bush, the lawyers who blocked the recount, and the Supreme Court- with two justices (Scalia and Thomas) who should have recused themselves. The numerous voters in Florida who were disenfranchised (mainly African Americans) were robbed of a fundamental right of citizenship.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 26 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]261657[/snapback]</div>
    How true is it that most elections still break down to a choice between crap and turd and we always have to choose one anyways?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    gore could not hold his own in a debate to save his life. well, on that end neither could bush...

hmm.

9. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ May 27 2006, 01:17 AM) [snapback]261681[/snapback]</div>
    How is it that more people voted this week for the American Idol winner than the Presidential elections? Maybe we shoud have the next Presidential candidates in 2008 sing? Or let them loose in a Survivor, winner takes all challenge????

To answer your question and staying in the fecal matter mode....I wish we had a choice between crap, turd, or poop. I'm still waiting for that third political party to come out. Something that we Middle Class/Working Class citizens can get behind. That party that is concerned about the Environment, workers rights, health care for all, rise in minimum wage.....oh wait, it has, it's called the Green Party. My bad.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 27 2006, 12:47 AM) [snapback]261645[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, he did. And soon as the losing party gets this, the better they are.

Al Gore LOST in his HOME state, fer crying out loud.

You know, the whining about his losing is just that-whining. I don't like Bush. I did not vote for him the second time. Yet, as a card carrying Republican (Teddy/Abe type, not the modern type), I have to still wonder how, six years later, there are still people whining about 'Gore did not really lose'.

Sheesh. He did.

If, say, Gore had won by a vote. And then, the nation went on the same bumpy road it has been on for the past six years under Bush; would the Bush supporters still be whining about how he lost?

No, they would be busy getting their man (in this case, Bush), ready for another run. As the Democrats should be doing with Gore.

Come on all you Gore fans! If you really buy he won, then heck, it's shouldn't be that hard to get him elected for real, this time, right? I mean, Bush has lost his base. Even right wing Republicans are annoyed at him.

Yet, all I see, are the Democrats still upset about the past. And not working on the future.

As for me, if no one come out of the Republicans that I like, I'll vote for the Democrats, just because I think Bush has screwed up this country, but good.

Said the former Navy man, who is proud of his country, but not of it's leader.

11. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 27 2006, 01:31 AM) [snapback]261690[/snapback]</div>
    From CNN:

Candidates Votes Vote % States Won EV
    Gore
    50,996,116 48 % 21 266
    Bush
    50,456,169 48 % 30 271
    Other
    3,874,040 4 % 0 0

Gore won. He lost it when the re-count was halted, which he was winning by the way. Look it up, it's true.

We are not whining. Why is it, when we question anything about the past, you guys take it as whining? It's getting old and pathetic. Really. We are just having a discussion. And talking about the past. Not whining about it.

Thank you for your service in the Navy said the current active duty Air Force man, proud of his country and hoping for better days ahead!

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 27 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]261690[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also a former Navy man, and when I was commissioned I swore to uphold the Constitution. That means EVERYONE is entitled to have his or her vote counted. That is what I'm "whining" about.

13. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please, he lost, lost and oh yeah, lost again. He lost his state.

And, yeah, the vote that matters? The electoral college? That he lost.

So, yeah, you are whining, and it's a shame, since that is not going to help.

Again, I ask: If Bush had lost, would the Republicans be whining about it still? No. They would be figuring out a way to get their man (Bush) into the White House, not whining about a election they lost six years ago.

One vote, that's all it takes to lose. And Gore lost the vote that matters, and that vote is brought about by the popular vote, and he lost his Home State. If he had won that, Florida would not matter one bit.

Or a Supreme Court.

Why doesn't the Democrats get this? How hard is this to figure out? No one likes a sore loser. And, again, I voted for Bush once, not twice, (since I tend to not make mistakes twice), so I'm not a sore winner.

I want the Democrats to win, if they can, since Bush has screwed this up so bad.

I want Joe Biden, if he runs, to win. At least he is semi-honest.

Gore Lost, Bush Won, Get Over IT. Move on. Help get the Republicans out, and get a Democrat in. Or, help get a responsible Republican in there. Either way, Bush is done, and thank God for that.

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 26 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]261688[/snapback]</div>
    Because you can vote as many times as you want on American Idol?

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

TJ and Genesis:

1. If you disagree with my complaint, I'm a "whiner".
    If you agree with my complaint, I'm a deeply insightful patriot.

Semantics 101

2. The U.S. Supreme Court had no jurisdiction, nor did the Federal District Court. For interpreting FL election law, the FL Supreme Court should have been the final step.

I think a majority on the Court, after so many days of impasse, had acquired an inflated sense of self-importance, along the lines of, "we must save the Republic! If we don't step in, there will be chaos!"

3. My take is that Ralph Nader cost Gore the election*. This is notwithstanding the fact that Gore ran a below average, but not horrible campaign. If you look at the states where Nader got a lot more votes than the size of Bush's margin over Gore, it's clear. Nader's claim that there wasn't much difference between what the two parties stood for was disingenuous, and it was rubbish.

*It's my friends on the left who are to blame, of course, far more than Nader alone. Too many ideologues on the left cannot set aside their own egos compared to the national interest. They'd rather "make a point" and take their chances on a man like Bush than not make a point.

To my friends on the left who voted for Nader in states where Nader's vote badly trumped Bush's margin over Gore: ...and your point WAS...?

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    It's just plain LAUGHABLE that republicans actually believe bush won in 2000, that he got more votes, that there wasn't something fishy in Florida. How do you live with yourselves, believing the crap that comes out of this admistration, DAY after DAY, with the only end being 2008?

It saddens me that so many are so fooled as they are.

Impeach bush NOW!

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To the people who claim (on the left or on the right) that Nader cost Gore the election, or that a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush:

You are assuming that had Nader not been on the ballot, we'd have voted for Gore. There's no way in hell I'd have voted for Gore, so Nader was merely the most prominent protest candidate. Besides, I voted for Nader, not for himself, but because he happened to be my party's candidate that year. And if there had been nobody on the ballot but Gore and Bush, I'd have written in the name of my own protest candidate. Nader did not take my vote away from Gore. And I didn't vote for Nader to "make a point." I voted for Nader because I won't vote for a criminally insane candidate just because the other candidate is more criminal and more insane.

A vote for Nader was not a vote for Bush because we elect candidates by plurality, not by majority. Had all the Nader voters abstained from voting, it would not have changed the outcome of the election. Therefore, my vote had nothing whatsoever to do with Bush's getting elected.

Face it: Had Gore not run such an abysmal, cowardly campaign, sidling up so close to the Republican platform that they were practically hugging each other, on the insulting assumption that if he was three microns to the left of Bush everyone to the left of him would vote for him for being the "lesser of two evils" the fraud in Florida would not have tipped the electoral college vote to Bush.

Democrats are so used to playing the "lesser of two evils" card to get the progressive and liberal vote that they think they have some kind of god-given right to count on that vote. And then when they finally move so far to the right that progressives and liberals can no longer stomach them, they cry and whine that a candidate who offers a progressive campaign platform has "thrown" the election to Bush.

How dare they blame Nader for their own stupid campaign? How dare they blame Nader for running the only campaign that didn't stink! How dare they blame Nader for offering the voters a choice?

Democrats: You blew it! It's your own fault for losing. Sure the Florida election was fraudulent. But if you hadn't taken the liberal and progressive vote for granted, as though we owed you some kind of allegiance, the Florida vote would not have mattered. So stop crying, and if you want the liberal and progressive vote back, then give us a candidate we can vote for and still look ourselves in the mirror the next morning.

18. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 27 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]261703[/snapback]</div>
    This obviously is not getting through to you.
    This goes beyond whether Bush, or Gore, or anyone else is in the White House. Our electoral system has been corrupted- and it could be that many of the people who vote for the winner of "American Idol" but don't bother voting for the president of the US believe that there's no point because their vote won't count anyway. It's hard to give a compelling argument otherwise.
    YOU go tell all the black voters in Florida who were deliberately kept from the polls in 2000, and were subsequently denied redress by the US Senate, that they were "whining."

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 26 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]261645[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct !!! <_<

20. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 27 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]261762[/snapback]</div>
    (sigh), and you aren't getting it either.

First, I don't give a crap about American Idol. Don't watch it, don't care. Does it bother me that more people vote for that then president? Hell yeah. But until it gets as easy for the lazy twits in this country to vote for president as it is for American Idol, then you are going to have those numbers.

Second, and more to the point, you are living in a dream world if you don't think the system is corrupt, and you know what? Unless more people vote, and vote for real change, that ain't going to change either.

Thirdly, the lack of black votes in Florida? Again, the media doing a wonderful job of reporting the facts the way it can, to sell it's news shows. When The Miami Herold (among other papers; papers don't turn as many heads any more), they did independent vote counting, and came up with the same numbers. Gore lost. And if Gore had won, no one would have thought that blacks didn't vote. It would never had come up.

Why is it so hard to accept that Gore lost his own damn state? If he had won that, Florida would not have mattered! Fer crying out loud.

Again. He lost. It's time to move on. You don't like things they way they are run? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

It's easy to whine on the internets. It's much harder to get off your lazy butt and do something about it.

For the record, (and this will sail over most of your heads), but I don't like Bush. I am not a fan of the way this country has slipped down the 1984 hole, if you can follow that. I think there is corruption, and evil people doing evil things ever day; and those people can be easily Democrats or Republicans.

I think most of this country stopped caring about thirty years ago, and it has been down hill ever since.

The minor voices here (mine included), are but whispers in the wind compared to the mass noise being generated by the snores of the ignorant Americans.

Which is just fine with Bush. As it once was said, don't wake the snoring giant. And that giant is US.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]261743[/snapback]</div>
    WELL said. Too bad no one is listening.