1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did Toyota decide not to defrost the whole rear window?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Oct 26, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed today that the upper right corner of my rear window was not defrosting and I imediately started thinking service call, and arguing with the dealer if it was a factory defect or damaged by something stored under the hatchback.

Later, when the sun came up, I noticed what many of you are already itching to tell me, there are no heating elements in this area.

THe only logic I could figure is that the wiper does not cover this area, but that make no sense to me, since I have owned a few cars with a full rear window defroster that didn't even have a wiper at all.

While on the subject, do the right side drive Prii have the wiper reversed so it wipes from the other side?

2. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak for why Toyota made that decision but it does provide the only place where a decal can be placed on the rear window (for example a parking permit which is required in some places) without covering a heating element which would almost certainly be damaged if the decal was later removed.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Oct 26 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]530718[/snapback]</div>
    Someone asked me that question before and I didn't have an answer to it.

However, now I think I know why. Sit in the driver's seat. That area that isn't covered isn't in your line of sight anyway. Whether it's defrosted or not makes no difference to your rearward vision.

4. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All the Prius I saw in Japan had no wiper, but I would imagine it is the same part as on the US spec cars.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's a Prii?

6. prius2go

prius2go Member

RHD cars dont wipe the right rear window either

why?????

noticed it this morning

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The parking decal idea makes sense to me. It also makes me want to go buy a decal with heating elements I can connec to the electrical system to defrost that area, but I will move on to something else. It was just a little shock at first when I thought there was a broken element, and then added surprise to see there were no elements in that corner at all, but if it is not in the field of view, I don't guess I really care. Thenk to all for your coments.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Oct 26 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]530800[/snapback]</div>
    Plural of Prius.