1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did you buy a prius?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by EpicDewd, Dec 23, 2010.

1. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you buy a prius? The accelerator issue have killed 50 people!

Also the MPG is FALSE ADVERTISED. The materials needed to make the batteries do more harm to the environment then anything.

You could drive a 1980 f150 the rest of your life and put less pollution into the air then driving a prius.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with one thing; the mpg is falsely advertised. My Gen II is rated at 46mpg, but I'm getting 54mpg. WHAT UP WITH THAT?!?

4 people like this.
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i bought a Prius because i needed a car and it was the best option available AT ANY PRICE.

as far as mileage. you are right they did miss the boat on the mileage. i am supposed to get 50 mph. i guess if i have a bad enough tank i can get down that low.

4. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you please give documentation for your claims? Otherwise since this is your first post perhaps you are just trying to rattle some cages. Thank you.

5. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.

I cant put links in the urls but I quoted it.

6. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the graph pn this Crashtest.com - driver deathrates perhaps a better question would be why would someone drive a pick-up truck? So from a period of 5 years pickup trucks resulted in 1,137 DRIVER deaths, that's not including passangers.

Now go away troll:wave:

7. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Of note, occupants of the lightest cars have dramatically higher death rates"

Thats why you want to drive a heavier truck.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This article is egregiously biased and/or fake. What reporter says '"so" much environmental damage.'

You're obviously a very uneducated person. It's a refreshing change for this board.

9. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I mention I race a Corvette Z06 at around 8 MPG?

The prius is an ugly car, its unsafe and horrible in snow. It IS a technical achievement, but thats about it.

Why not buy a diesel? They get better MPG, cost less, and run cleaner.

10. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To help change the troll thread into a decent discussion, why did I decide to buy a Prius as my next car? Well, I didn't do it because it was a hybrid, believe it or not. I bought it because for the price, I could get hands-free bluetooth phone operation, navigation, satellite radio, seriously decent gas milage, and I liked the color of the car. The hybrid thing was down on the list - but wasn't in the 'make-it-or-break-it' importance part of my decision.

It also came with the floormats, back trunk mat, extras already added, and I didn't have to pay extra for them.... now if I could just get the TPMS to work properly...

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Run cleaner? Clean diesel emissions are still abominable and "low sulfur" is a joke. I still see black smoke coming out of your tailpipe. Costs less? Diesel fuel can cost up to 25% more in the US.

I can shoot down every Prius myth your pea-brain can think of. I got all day.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, if you are looking for lower death rates, you want to drive a heavier car.

SUVs have higher death rates, occupant and non-occupant, than cars of the same weight. Trucks are worse still.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The troll is an idiot, but he's a lot of fun to mess around with. Kind of like that retarded cousin we each have.

4 people like this.
  14. Keridwen

Keridwen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still shopping for a Prius, but I will say this about small, light cars.... We had a 1993 Ford Festiva. It was a tin can on wheels. We were hit head on doing 65 miles an hour on the highway--the car in front of us spun around on some ice and hit us head on. It was a Pontiac Grand Prix.

We were in the right hand lane of a 4 lane divided highway--the impact pushed our car over both north bound lanes, over a grassy median, over the two south bound lanes, and halfway down an embankment. The passenger door flew off (I was the passenger, my husband was driving), the windshield shattered, the entire front end caved in. My only injury was slightly bruised knees where the glove box was shoved against my knees. I still went out running for 7 miles at noon so it was bruising only, no real damage. I was wearing a seat belt and the lightness of the car allowed it to be shoved aside rather than standing its ground so it would be crunched like an accordian.

So...no fear here of driving a small car, although I have plenty of friends driving big trucks because they believe they are safer.

15. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now now...truly retarded people are not to be made fun of...and they would find this quite entertaining, I'd imagine.

I just figured answer truthfully, and pity him if he is trolling.

16. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I actually have a retarded cousin. :)

Now to answer the OP, I bought my Prius because of the safety features first. I liked the fact mine came with side impact air bags, which would help keep my children safe g-d forbid we were hit from the side. I liked the traction control and the stability controls. Oh I also liked the MPGs I get.

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You may wish to review what you know about Toyota recalls. There IS an accelerator issue on Toyota's made in the US with North American parts, no Prius is made in the US, Gen II had a floormat recall, Gen III had a braking software recall, but the Toyotas with accelerator recalls were all other models.

It is illegal in the US to state any mileage except the EPA test mileage, so this is not a Prius problem, just an EPA problem. My Prius is rated at 48 MPG, I average 45 MPG, but I have mine loaded to the window line, see my avatar.

If you say so, but you cannot buy a new car that pollutes less.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...sight-civic-hybrid-jetta-gas-tdi-wrx-sti.html

Now, to answer your question in the title:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...502-2010-prius-school-project.html#post979468

1 person likes this.
  19. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. EpicDewd

EpicDewd Bitchin!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model: