1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why didn't I wait for 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McKeeius, Apr 29, 2009.

1. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just got the 2010 prius ad from the deal and a package 2 costs within $200 of what i paid for my 2009 package 2 about a month ago. They have 2010 package 2 for $22,750. I feel like I completely gipped myself out of a way better value - new features, drive modes, better FE...

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just money. Don't beat yourself up over it. You have a wonderful car. Go out and enjoy it, learn how to drive it efficiently and your FE will be higher than someone with a 2010 Prius and no skill. ;)

3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's always going to be a better deal out there...I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Drive the car YOU LOVED BEFORE OPENING YOUR MAILBOX TODAY and trade it in for the PHEV Prius when you're ready for the upgrade. When the PHEV comes out you won't even remember the deal you could have got on the Gen 3.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 Prius II does NOT have the backup camera (a great safety feature) nor the 3 door SKS (a very useful feature) that your 2009 Prius with Package #2 has.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Boo is right. If you want to get the backup camera and 3 door SKS, you'll need to get Prius IV plus the Navigation package.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ejmckee, do you own a video recorder? Same thing. You bought it, you thought at the time it was great, it will still do what you bought it for but you bought a DVD player didn't you. I bet if you can still find a VCR in the shops it's a third the price you paid for your VCR, but your VCR still does what you bought it for and the DVD player is now old tech too, overtaken by blue ray.

Your 2009 Prius is still the fantastic car you bought and will perform great for the next 15 to 20 years, so you made a better purchase than most would have. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Alternative, sell the Prius, buy a beater to tide you over then buy a 2010 when they come out but don't rush, the first sales will be a win for the dealers price wise.

7. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :thumb:

8. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You guys are right like usual, while there still is a lingering feeling of a missed opportunity, I got the car and deal I wanted at a time when I needed it, and I have absolutely loved driving it in every single day. Trying to take really excellent care of it and I am thinking about the PC Toyota Maintenance Package - I can use this at my Toyota Dealer and it will be honored? Anyone have experience buying the maintenance package here and using it at the dealer? Is this a worthwhile investment? I want to keep the value of the car and keep it in good shape but I could just take it to independent mechanics?

I will probably do as others have stated in different threads, drive my silver bullet lovingly for years until it seems like new plug-in and lithium technology has been perfected.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The general consensus here is that the prepaid maintenance plan is not worth it at either the MSRP of $1355 or at the discounted price of $875 available here at PriusChat through Troy/WarrantyShack/Toyota of Greenfield, MA.

Why pay $875 - $1355 for four years worth of oil and filter changes, tire rotations and inspections? And why pay that in advance?

Personally, I wouldn't get the prepaid maintenance plan even at the discounted price of $875 because:

1. I can do it for a lot less either by doing the work myself, with independent mechanics and/or with Toyota dealers through the use of the discount coupons they will routinely send you.

2. I can do it better (I like to use synthetic oil).

3. I'm not a big fan of tire rotations, especially at the frequent intervals Toyota recommends.

It's up to you. But if you want to get the prepaid maintenance plan, get it here at PriusChat at the $875 discount price. Note however that I think that you have to first check with your individual Toyota dealer to see if it will accept the Toyota prepaid maintenance plan coupons if you didn't buy the plan from it. In any event, if you're still interested in the plan, you should contact Troy/WarrantyShack/Toyota of Greenfield, MA with any questions you have.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A friend went with me to the "introduction to the 2010 Prius" event. He was not impressed. It had less side to side leg room up front than the 2009 and felt cramped due to the extension of the console. He won't be buying a 2010, but he -may- get a 2009, if the price is right.

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 2010 Prius was a pretty poorly kept secret. Anybody with any interest at all in Prius purchase must have seen the spy shots, pre-release intros, speculation, etc. I say, "Let the buyer beware!". If you didn't do your homework before the purchase, you still got a great car. Look on the bright side. The 09 should be thoroughly "de-bugged". Let the 2010 early adopters deal with new model issues (if any), and just enjoy your ride. The only thing I prefer on the '10 are the new wheels, and maybe the sun-roof. After driving the 2010 at the pre-release, I returned to my dirty, freeway scarred 82,000 mile '06, and was enjoying the quiet, rattle free ride home. The 2010? Don't worry about it. You got a great car!

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

Every model year of the Gen II Prius has earned the highest reliability ratings by Consumer Reports' annual car surveys.

With this track record, the 2009 Prius, being the 6th and last model year of the Gen II Prius, is probably the most reliable car sold in the US today (and maybe of all time).

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's gonna have to pry that claim out of the Corolla's hands.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the Yaris hatchback held that title but was ousted because the Yaris sedan brought the overall number down? Or was that someone elses report? :)

15. squeege

squeege Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought the 2009 package 2 at the end of March. I must say that the pricing for the 2010 surprised me, but one of the key things for me was that I was much more comfortable buying a 2009 at the end of a 6-year model run than buying the G3 right at the beginning. I know there are some neat features that I'll be missing out on, but I must say that I do love the three-door smart key system, and wouldn't be getting that on the 2010. I think I saved some money in the process.

I got a good deal on a very nice car that I am having a tremendous amount of fun driving. I'm happy with my purchase, as I'm sure the 2010 buyers will be with theirs.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. I always thought the Corolla was the most reliable Toyota passenger car. (guess it's also one of the longest running). The 98-02 had no recalls which is amazing. Sadly, 2003 brought one so the Gen 9 Corolla can't claim that title haha.

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 Prius, Yaris & Corolla Reliability

In terms of reliability, I think the 2009 Prius wins over the 2009 Yaris because the Prius is in its 6th model year while the Yaris is in its 3rd.

I think the 2009 Prius wins over the 2009 Corolla only because Consumer Reports says so (don't know why, but it says so).

See attached Word file of Consumer Reports reliability histories and new car predictions for the Prius, Yaris and Corolla:

Attached Files:

18. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha, I had my Prius inspected after almost 3 years and 45K miles.
    *nothing* wrong, changed the A/C air filter.

The brake pads have less wear than my previous cars had after just three months.
    I think I'll be good for 100k !

My previous GM/Ford/Chrysler cars would cost me at least a brake job per year (500$ now) and a muffler / exhaust system after three years and possibly the shock absorbers. With the Chrysler I had to get a new alternator and a new A/C compressor, after three years, on top of another brake job and a new exhaust.
    Just in repairs the Chrysler I had was almost 3k$ for a three year old car with 45k miles.

Also, for "upgrades",

Reminds me of my DELL laptop. I had until the end of Aug 2006 for a particular model I wanted, and the price was good.
    I needed it ASAP.

Two months later, same model, same price, but with 120g hard drive instead of 80g, and a 2.2Ghz processor instead of 2.01.

I stopped looking !

19. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be happy with what you have, This coming from a woman in love with cars, this is #70 in 10 years,and the best thing to do is use it for a while the new cars always look good on the showroom floor But once they are home they were as good as you last car.

Hold off :)

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, that's too bad given the 2010 was announced before you bought.

Last Summer/Fall the 2010 only showed up in artists renditions and spy shots of some Prius with cardboard all over itself.

I think it is not a bad idea to get a latest model (2010) and live with the few issues it may need to have fixed.