1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do I keep blowing out speed sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got c0200 code year ago and replaces the wheel speed sensor with a cheap Amazon buy......it lasted about 7 months so I dropped the money and got an OEM and it lasted all of 3 months

Anyone got any reason why I am going though sensors? I used compressed air to blow out the shaft of particles this last install but had no debris come out. Wife is freaking out that her car is broken.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think the thing to make sure of is when you look down the hole that the speed sensor goes in what do you see maybe take a picture look at the tone ring as the wheel rotates slowly as you turn the drive axle with the wrench whatever it is you do is the tone ring uniform all the way it's whole 360° You do realize the tone ring carefully can be pride off of the axle You don't want to destroy it it'll just ding off pretty easily so if it's damaged it could be replaced or you can buy a whole axle so on and so forth I don't know what that code exactly means is the sensor broken or is the computer broken so every time you put a sensor on it it just starts working again yeah that's awfully odd I wouldn't think it's the car breaking it I got a similar code one time and knew nothing was wrong took the wheel off in the sensor was ripped off the fender well not a scratch on the car otherwise replaced it with the 4-year-older model from a junk car sitting in the yard having never seen it again.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What test did you perform that showed the sensor(s) were faulty?

C0200 indicates that there is a problem with the right front wheel speed sensor CIRCUIT. That consists of the sensor, connector, wiring - everything all the way back to and including the ecu.

The diagnostic chart for this code has resistance specification for the sensor - what is the ohm reading on your sensors?

When you changed the sensor, did you clean any corrosion at the mounting point? Corrosion will force the sensor to be further away from the toothed ring, reducing the signal voltage. I might expect a different code for a weak signal, but engineers don't always do things the way I would expect

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assuming this is a Gen 2, is the dust shield "viewing window" properly positioned so the sensor can fully see the tone ring?

6. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sfo it's going to local hybrid mec tomorrow. He's my access to techstream lol.

TMR when I replaced last year the inner shield was slightly shifted. I was able to get the window fully open. 3 months ago it was still completely clear.

Guy going off the theroys a new sensor made the issue go away the past 2 times for months and at least 10,000 miles (wife doordash delivers)

Tom I am half tempted to replace the whole dam shaft because though I did spin it and thought it looked good my simple mind says if it's burning sensors there must be a burr. A smarter man would not dump that money into a 302,000 mile 2006. Unfortunately I like my marriage and the wife is unhealthy attached to her car lol

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A smart man would have fix his wife's car 302,000 about halfway gone I have a couple here coming up on your mileage and some quite past it and a drive axle or a tone ring well I do this sort of thing myself so I can't imagine but if you're paying for it I guess I don't know for me to change a drive axle on a generation 2 is about I don't $100 job in labor or something it's not very a very big deal matter of fact I've only replaced very few drive axles on any generation too usually do it when one of the boots is failed I just rip out the whole axle have it rebuilt or have another whole axle ready shove it up in the holes The axles are cheap so on and so forth it's kind of a no-brainer but you've got to get it sorted because it must be wreaking havoc on drivability actually it may be not because like I said on my latest purchase of too late 2007 green loaded generation kept giving me a wheel sensor was going bad and I just had the tires off and looked and I thought everything looked great and then again I thought them as maybe that was another car jacked up the car took off the wheel and the sensor was ripped the wires were ripped right up near the strut spring or something if I remember correctly they were just dangling but the car seemed to drive fine it just had to code for the wheel not being red or whatever the hell. So I guess she's driving the car pretty much just fine she just has the code I changed the sensor from an '05 car that I had they both look the same tone ring was clear I didn't even rotate it around plugged up the sensor put the wheel back on and been driving ever since 5,600 mi now.

doctorman likes this.
  8. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the 2009 prius
    the Toner ring is only till year 2007.. what happened in 2009 prius?
    the sensor is good, but I keep getting the error in 2009, there is no tone ring to change, d I need a new axel?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe in your country or something 2009 is actually 2010 in the United States the new body style? My 2009 is a generation 2 in America and it has a tone ring the little slotted wheel that goes inside of the hub that the sensor sits right above to read the little dots I want to say generation 3 has these two but I'm not positive I've changed rotors and all of that on the generation 3 which in the United States is 2010 to 2016 I believe but anyway there should be a tone ring you just can't see it until you pull the sensor out and look with the flashlight in the hole where the sensor you just took out those then you'll see the ring if you find your front hub ABS sensors just remove the 10 mm bolt and pull it out and then look in the hole that you just opened up with the sensor removed You should see the ring on any year so you might want to verify that before you go any further of course I'm not sure how it would run with the tone ring off or really damaged it would give you an error and probably try to activate VSC or something and not be very cooperative driving

10. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it is in the USA
    2009 is 2nd gen
    can not find the correct part number for the tone ring

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can access a front drive axle parts break down online seriously wow won't that require taking the drive axle off anyway? For what I pay for drive axles I would just swap it out mine will come with the tone ring already on them I don't generally take them off unless they're damaged

12. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    had the wheel bearing replaced recently by an amateur, it is very well possible that he messed up the dust shield alignment or the toner ring on the axel. I might need a new axel , that whole Right front makes noises that I don't care for at 160k miles probably few things need to be touched up in the suspension

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well if the dust shield doesn't line up I don't think you can get the sensor in right I can't remember because I'm not running very many of the dust shields