1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do oil changes yourself besides the overfill problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussoris, Apr 14, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I have looked at some K&N oil filter they are 11.97 locally and some other brands range 5.59 and up
    oil is 2.78 up to 6.00 a quart

I can have a dealership do this for 19.00 OLF

Just tell dealer to check the oil level while filling no problem

just wondered why to do it yourself when is cheaper to have someone else do the labor and have all proper tools?

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I cant change oil here its not allowed so I go to the dealer. My dealer fills 3.5 quarts and actually gives you the last half that way every other fill change you only pay for 3 quarts. If you already have the tools it is cheaper to do it yourself. Oh and my dealer charges about $55 for a change with moble 1.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do it myself to save money and time, to do it at my convenience, and to assure it's done right.

I buy my Mobil One by the case at Sam's Club, so no dealer markup. No labor paid. I buy my OEM Toyota filters from metrotpn.com for $4 apiece. I don't need a tool anymore for the drain plug; I use a Fumoto valve. An oil filter wrench is the only other required tool. The other "tool" I purchased is a set of ramps, but that was more for convenience for allowing my large frame to get further under the car. The drain plug and filter can be reached without lifting the car.

Consider the value of your time. Between shuttling the car back and forth, wait time to get it into the bay, and time for the actual work, it's a net time savings for me to do it myself. Even if my dealer did it for $19, it would still be worth it to do it myself. And I can do it on Sunday afternoon. And it won't get overfilled.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doing oil changes yourself has multiple advantages:

1. You do it correctly (3.5 qt, used oil recycled) the first time. You keep oil and filters on hand and anticipate the next 5000 mi service interval.
    2. You look things over (leaks, dust & dirt, inspect hoses).
    3. You are more apt to check & change the air filter, top off fluids, tighten anything loose.
    4. You keep detailed records (spreadsheet) & check the owner's manual.
    5. You rotate tires and check air pressure.
    6. You do other maintenance (wash, wax, vacuum).

You look forward to the PHEV Toyota Prius hybrid and minimizing your carbon footprint.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 14 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]423213[/snapback]</div>
    Who doesn't allow it? Is it not allowed in your neighborhood for some reason?

6. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 14 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]423235[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know his situation, but many apartment complexes prohibit any sort of mechanical work in the parking lot.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 14 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]423280[/snapback]</div>
    Some condo associations too (including mine), but an oil change is so quick I do it anyway (we're on a dead end and and my neighbors don't mind).

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 14 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]423235[/snapback]</div>
    The apt does not allow any mechanical work to be done. one morning I was getting in my car to go to class and another tenant was going to jump their car (left the lights on over night and the battery was dead.) about 1 minute after they popped the hood to connect the cables the security guard came out of the front building telling them that they cannot work on their car. I don’t know what they ended up doing but this place is very strict about that stuff. I have been told you cannot work on your car on the streets either. I personally would not want to jack my car up on the side of the road and crawl under it. our streets are narrow and all that. Plus the car would be at an angle because of the curvature of the street.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nobody but DH touches our cars. period. that's why. ;)

10. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I do it myself because it's so cheap and it matches my schedule (I can do it Saturday/Sunday/Holidays). 3qts oil at $0.76 (after rebate, I know, I know, it's now 0.97/qt, but I still have some left from the previous case), a filter and crush washer (Toyota) at $6.63. So a total of $8.91, including tax. (And that includes a tire rotation, too).

Thanks,
    Shawn

11. cc9150

cc9150 New Member

If your time is worth zero, then fine.

12. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cc9150 @ Apr 14 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]423390[/snapback]</div>

Yes, exactly. This is indeed why I do it myself. I don't have to sit around at the dealer for 1-2 hours, waiting, waiting, waiting. Instead, I get it done in 30 minutes for 1/6 the price. Saves my time and my money. As for parts, its a once a year trip to the dealer.

Thanks for pointing out the time savings, I forgot.
    Shawn

13. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cc9150 @ Apr 14 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]423390[/snapback]</div>
    Disabled and use oxygen thats why and a lot easier after age 40

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

One other thing I didnt see mentioned, when you do it yourself, you can take a sample and send it off to be analyzed. Good thing to do every so often, gives you an idea how well the oil and engine is doing.

BTW, dont waste money on K&N filters, they aren't any better then a Fram, oh and dont use Fram either, they arent that good. Toyota filters are first choice, but a WIX from Napa is a very good second choice along with a Motorcraft if one is made.

15. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 14 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]423401[/snapback]</div>
    That of course puts a different light on the issue. Obviously if the task is physically difficult or impossible, then I'd have someone else do the work.

16. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I work at a Toyota dealership...so having the service department do it isn't a timewaster. They don't charge too much, either, and I can slip one of the detail guys a tenner to get my prius shiny;)

17. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

20. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 14 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]423205[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, valid question.

First of all, the premise of your question is wrong: it is not cheaper to have someone else do it! People don't work for free!

When you do it yourself, you can do it better: you use a better quality oil, and you make sure it is done right. I've seen grease-monkeys strip out threads when doing something as simple as removing and re-installing a drain bolt. Some of these intellectually-challenged individuals use an air wrench on an oil drain bolt. These types either tighten things way too tight, making it almost impossible to get them off (drain bolt and oil filter) or too loose. Ever hear any horror stories about drain bolts falling out, or oil filters? I have.

Do it right: do it yourself!

I can use top shelf oil, Mobil 1, and still do the job cheaper than a dealer or garage.

Harry