1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people drive like jerks?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pyccku, Jun 29, 2007.

1. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Earlier this week I was taking my daughter to the doctor. I made a right turn on to the street, then moved to the middle lane. I was going to need to get into the left turn lane in about 1/2 mile, so I prepared to merge. The speed limit is 40 in this area.

There were two cars in the far left lane - about 3-4 car lengths between them. I turned on my signal, and slowed down, thinking to go behind the car in the rear. I slowed to about 35, and HE slowed to about 35! So I couldn't get behind him. I figured OK, maybe he's letting me in. So I sped up - to about 45, to go in front of him. And HE sped up to 45 to block me again. Meanwhile, my turn is getting closer.

So I slowed down to 35 again, to go behind him. And again, HE slowed to 35. I slowed to 30 and at that point I guess he realized it wasn't really much fun, since I wasn't going to give up. He sped up, I went behind him and then immediately into the left turn lane.

We both pulled up to the red light at the same time, and I just looked at him and shook my head sadly. It was an older guy, maybe late 50's/early 60's. When he saw me looking, he immediately looked away. Maybe he was embarrassed to be caught playing such a stupid game.

Which got me to thinking - when people do this sort of thing, WHY are they doing it? Have you ever done this? If you have sped up/slowed down just to keep someone from getting into "your" lane, what was your rationale? Did you feel that you needed to teach them a lesson? Was it a saving face thing?

Honestly, if I had stopped and asked him why he did that, what answer could he give that wouldn't sound really stupid? "I was in a hurry" - ok, it saved you maybe .00005 seconds, since I immediately was getting into the turn lane anyway.

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honestly, I think he was trying to let you over, but you were taking the exact same actions that he was. I don't think he was doing it on purpose...

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've been in his situation before, unintentionally. Stuck in the right lane on the freeway when someone's coming down the on ramp who doesn't know how to merge... i slow down so they can get over (lets say they're half a car length in front of me), and they slow down thinking to go behind me... i get frustrated and speed up at the same time they realize that i was slowing down to let them in so they speed up...

It's not a terribly good situation to be in.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 29 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]469998[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It happens all the time, even on foot: you turn left, they turn right, you correct, they correct, and next thing you know you are standing face to face.

Tom

5. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    He was quite obviously blocking me. He reacted to my actions - it's not like he slowed down before I did - no matter what I did, he then did something that prevented me from getting into the lane. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt the first time, but when I gunned it to get in front, he deliberately sped up (as in looking over at me to see that I was parallel to him and unable to merge - I saw him looking!) to make sure I couldn't get over. Rather than making a move to let me in, he saw what I was doing and then did what he needed to do to keep me from getting in the left lane.

If he had wanted to let me over, he would not have slowed down when he saw I was trying to go behind him the first time. He could have continued at his original speed and it wouldn't have been an issue for him at all.

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Again, I think he was just thinking the same way you were thinking.

"Hey, it looks like this lady wants to get over, so I will slow down.

Oops, now she is slowing down too, so I will speed up.

Crap, now she is speeding up, she is going to think I'm doing this on purpose, so I am just going to slow back down again and let her get over in front of me.

What? Now she is slowing down again. What is this stupid broad thinking? Doesn't she understand what I am trying to do?

Finally!!! Now she is staring at me. Wth???"

Been there. Done that. Have the t-shirt.

7. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree that on occasions I have done it accidently to others but usually it's done to me. I swear that people are doing it on purpose.

The rationale with me ticking someone off is if the speed up behind me while I'm doing 20-30 over the speed limit. I can't see why someone needs to go faster unless it's an emergency. If I'm doing 80 on a 55, why does someone feel like I'm going too slow?
    The fact that they have a sporty car or "pimped out" SUV leads me to believe that all they want to do is be a jerk. With that in mind I trick them into thinking that I'm slowing down to let them pass but quickly gun it so they are put in a position where they get stuck in another lane. Bonus points for letting the car behind them pin them as well on the slow lane. It's a little harder to do nowadays in my Prius but when I was a Supra owner, I made sure to make tail gaters pay. B)

8. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Chinito, how did you know it was an SUV? I wasn't going to mention it, but you are correct. Of course, considering that it seem like 80% of the vehicles on the road these days are SUVs, it's not that the odds are against it.

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinito77 @ Jun 29 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]470034[/snapback]</div>
    If someone comes up behind you and you are doing 80, you still need to get over and let the faster traffic pass. Those are just the rules of the road. You have no right to determine how fast they should be going.

Also, playing "cat and mouse" with another driver is wreckless and foolish. Just let them pass. No need to be a Left Lane Dick.

10. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Altho pyccku's experience may or may not be an example of this, otherwise sane friendly non-aggrssive people *DO* sometimes act like aggressive jerks when they get behind the wheel of a car. It's a deadly combination of [a] having all that power, and being isolated in our cocoon/vehicle. It's almost a Jekyll-and-Hyde transformation.

I like to think that Prius drivers are less susceptible to this since we're more focused on a smooth fuel-efficient ride and less focused on the power :)

Many (many many) years ago I saw a Donald Duck cartoon in which Goofy transformed from a friendly happy-go-lucky character into a raging maniac as soon as he got in is car. It was both funny and illuminating.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was passed the other day on a one-lane road. I was following the car in front of me by a generous amount because I know that on this road, when someone turns, all traffic slows or stops dramatically. In front of the car I was following were about five cars all in a pack. Traffic was progressing at around 37 in a 35 up a slow incline on the edge of a forest preserve.

So the Acura behind me passed me. Of course, as soon as he got back into our lane, he had to slam on his brakes to keep from rear-ending the car now in front of him.

For the next mile, he was in front of me but going nowhere. When someone turned, I eased off the gas while he hit his brakes. At the stoplight, he immediately got into the newly-split left lane as I coasted past on the right.

Competitive Commuting.
    That's all I can come up with.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen that cartoon. It's a good one.

I've been blocked by that type of jerk on the road too. I've also been that jerk. It's bad, and there's no good reason for it, and no benefit from that type of behavior. Driving calmly and safely will get you where you're going probably within fractions of a second, compared to fast/aggressive driving.

The risks of aggressive driving far, FAR outweigh the benefits (unless you really highly value the feeling of being a superior a-hole).

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jun 29 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]470036[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhhh you guessed it.... Its a conspiricy against you and your electric car! :rolleyes: :lol:

I would have to agree with "Swanny1172's" reply.... I however like to box people in when driving down the interstate.. They come flying up and you find a driver doing 5 mph over the speed limit and pace em.. :D
    the poor speeder is faced with slowing down for a few miles.... :lol: :lol:

Its even more fun when your driving one of the plain white vans, because if they cut us off we just tie-up another 20-30mins on the road side.. Please press hard all five copies, :) oh yes and please have a safe day! B)

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 29 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]470041[/snapback]</div>
    Rules of the road, maybe in some parts. But who are they to control you to move over if they are the ones doing illegal driving.
    They have no right to determine how fast I should be going either.
    Unless grossly under min. speed limit

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 29 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]470194[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, you shouldn't be driving in the left lane to begin with. The left lane is for passing. If everyone would figure this one out, what a wonderful world it would be.

Exactly how are they determining how fast you are going? Do you slow down everytime you change lanes, because I sure don't. When someone flies up behind me and I am already in the left lane passing traffic in the right lane, I get over as soon as I safely can. I don't speed up or slow down. When they pass, I either stay in the right lane, or get back over into the left to pass another car. It is all pretty simple.

The problem is drivers like chinito77 who think, "I can't see why someone needs to go faster unless it's an emergency." Well, first off, it very well may be an emergency. Second, you are not a self-appointed speed monitor. That is what we all pay taxes for the police to do. Finally, moving to the right is the polite thing to do. Of course, if you don't have manners anywhere else, why should I expect you to have any in the car?

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here ya go, in case anyone is wondering.

I have a printed copy at home and keep one in my car. Yes, I've read the entire document. Even pages 27 and 28.

[attachmentid=9311]

Attached Files:

17. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 29 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]470003[/snapback]</div>
    Driving (or walking)- stay on the right unless passing. Once past, stay on the right unless passing. Repeat.

It's really not that difficult!

19. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jun 29 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]470060[/snapback]</div>
    Is there a law against passive-aggressive drivers?

I get these occasionally on the highway. They are doing, say, 5 under the limit. So, I go to the left lane to pass... and they speed up. Okay, maybe they were daydreaming, and just realized that they were going too slow... so I drop back in behind them.
    They slow down again... 5 under.
    I go to pass again... they speed up. Often to whatever speed I am using to try to pass (I won't go more than 5 over, actually)

At what point do I dial 911 and sic the wonderful guys in hats on them?

20. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

Haven't we had this conversation before (like, once every few weeks?) :rolleyes:

Some people DO speed up intentionally to stop you from changing lanes. It can be a subconscious effort to actually teach you a lesson if they THINK you are being reckless, rude, etc. by changing lanes quickly in traffic. I remember getting into this mindset when I used to live in a big city. Don't let that guy ahead of you!

On an open highway, a driver without Cruise Control will very often speed up as you pass. This is caused by the optical illusion that occurs as you pass them: they feel like they're slowing down. It is totally subconscious (usually), and often they will fix it if you give them a second. Of course, there are varying degrees...

As for blocking the left lane, we've all been saying the exact same thing but calling each other names here.

1. Use the left lane to pass.
    2. Get over if you can without slowing down.
    3. If someone comes flying up behind you, STILL get over when you can.

As far as I can see, the only breakdown in this system is people going really fast not wanting to wait for you to finish your own pass before they pass you. That is, of course, their tough luck. ;) What Priussoris referred to when he said they are trying to control his speed is that they want you to get over regardless of how much slower the right lane is going, just so they can top out. Sorry, not going to happen. When there's an opening, and I don't have to brake to merge, THEN I'll get over.

Swanny, you are probably seeing this same scenario from the other end. If you come up fast enough behind another car, it's impossible to tell if they are passing or matching speed with the other lane. Give them a chance to get over reasonably, and chill out. Most speeding does NOT affect arrival time, unless you are driving over an hour on the highway.