1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do some dealers drill out front license plates holes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Midpack, May 30, 2009.

1. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Obviously I am not asking about states that require front and back plates, but there seem to be quite a few dealers in "back only plate" states who drill out the fronts and put a cheap plastic frame with a cheap dealer logo plate on the front as soon as their cars come in. I assume I am not the only one who does not want unnecessary holes in the front bumper. Why on earth do they do it? Our local Honda dealer does it, absolutely stupid IMO. I bought an Element from them 6 years ago, told them in writing on the SO not to drill it and they did anyway. They had to make the repairs at their expense, and not plugs either (not that they look bad).

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree and I hate the drilled holes in the front.
    Unless you pre-order your car with specific instructions saying NOT to put on the front frame.....they put on the dealer logo as Free Advertisement anyway....assuming not everyone will bother to take it off since the frame is already mounted and something has to be inserted there (Logo or lic plate).

3. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I specifically requested that my dealer not drill the front bumper, but they did it anyway. I wish I had put it in writing like you did.

4. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drilling the holes is something that is hard to control. A tech gets the order to do the PDI. VERY rarely does he ever actually look at the order as he has done thousands of PDI's. He just does it as fast as he can and move on to the other job. If the salesperson isn't standing there to tell the tech not to drill, it will most likely happen. Personally, if I have the request, I put a HUGE note on the seat of the car telling him not to drill them. In IL we are a 2 plate state. The tech is on autopilot when he does it.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Good idea. I would also tape a huge note over the front bumper. :)

6. pviebey

pviebey New Member

That annoys me, near as much as the dealer automatically sticking their 'commercial' on the back end of the car. I just make sure it's part of the deal...NO commercials, etc unless they wanna pay me <grin>...

7. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Luckily when I bought mine it did not have a mount, you can see there two indents on the front bumpber were they could have drilled. It's much cleaner looking. Not to mention its a tiny bit harder for police laser to nab your speed, they usually target the headlights though, but still a license plate is quite reflective, and not having one is a plus.

I did not order mine, it was just a walk in buy.

NV the law states you only need a front plate if their is a bracket already installed when you buy the car. You can always just take it off and fill the small holes with bondo

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I bought Priapus, the technician transferred my plates. He went ahead and mounted the front plates. They were crooked and off-center. And in the cargo area: the front plate mounting thingy.

I didn't notice until I got home. Only after a few months did it really bother me. But in the end, with the mounting thing in place you can't see the original holes.

9. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in California, a two plate state, and the dealer put the licence plate on the front without the bracket. They just screwed it into the front bumper with long screws I was so angry that I insisted that they send the car out and a new bumper installed and painted. Then, while I stood there, a very appolegetic PDI guy screwed in the bracket and put on the plate like it's supposed to be put on. I'll bet they never do that again!
    I just could not believe my eyes. I spent over 30,000$ on a new loaded Prius in 05 and the guys at the dealer don't care that the front plate is mounted improperly. I will never go back there. Later the next year, I purchased yet another Prius. Yes, I have 2 of them. I learned my lesson. I contacted every dealer in the state by fax offering to buy and what I was willing to spend. One dealer in Susanville offered to sell me my car at what I was willing to pay and said that I could order it and get it in 4 weeks. I sent them 5000$. 3 1/2 weeks later I was the proud owner of another Prius. Deal and Daive is their name and they were fabulous. They called when it came in and I spent all of 10 minutes on the paperwork. They sent the DMV plates to me in less then a week after the sale so I could squeek in getting the HOV stickers also. I'll forever buy another Toyota with them even though it was a 400 mile drive and they delivered the car with the front plate brackett in place. Never again with a volume bay area dealer!
    -Paul R. Haller-