1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do we romanticize/glorify pirates?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a fair question. The popular image of pirates is full of dash and romance, not cold blooded murder, mayhem and grand larceny. When on the run, we root for the pirate, not the agencies trying to capture him and bring him to justice.

Why is that?

One could argue that voyaging the high seas in the days of sail was the epitome of romance, and I'll agree wholeheartedly, but why then can't anyone name a single captain of the Cutty Sark, or even name other notable vessels and their captains, while Bluebeard and Kidd and Hook are characters every kid on the block (myself included) has play acted before the age of six and a half? And if it's gunsmoke in combination with salt water that mixes up the vital ingredients of glory, who were the captains of the Constitution, the Enterprise, the Farragut?

This romantic image of the pirate goes way back. 150 years ago Mark Twain wrote that as lads of ten growing up on the banks of the Mississippi he and his comrades had but one ambition in life: to become pirates, and steamboat captains second only if providence found them without sufficient virtue to be made pirates. Not all of them made it (the ones that became Senators coming closest).

We look in awe at a Ghenghis Khan, but we don't romanticize or glorify him.

We marvel in horror at a Jack the Ripper, but we don't romanticize or glorify him.

We steal secret pleasure watching the escapades of Al Capone or Tony Soprano, but would we feel comfortable if our kids play acted such characters?

So why do we give pirates a pass?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2 words.

Johnny Depp ;)

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Constitution: Class Ship. Heavy cruiser designation. Mainstay of the Federation Starfleet in the 2260s.
    Enterprise: Launched with Captain Robert April, most famous captain, James T. Kirk
    Farragut: Captain Garrovick

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because victims (or their immediate kin) are not alive?

5. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Because they have great style

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Because Pirates epitomize a freedom we all wish for but know we can't attain.

Plus, Pirates (generally) were not universally considered bad. Pirates were liscensed thieves who worked for the crowns of Europe. So if it was your country's pirate, yeah, and if not then oh crap!

Unless he went bad of course, then all bets were off.

7. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've often wondered the same. But pirates aren't the only "baddies" that get romanticized. It's the same for

Billy the Kid (and other cowboy outlaws)
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Guy Fawkes
    etc.

And in a car chase scene in an action movie, we usually root for the bad guy trying to escape from the police.

But still, there's something special about pirates... B)

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I cannot really answer this question, since I refused to see the movie *because* it glorifies pirates.

Mostly I suspect it is just typical american ignorance. How many movie afficianados are aware that slaves have been the currency of pirates from time immemorial ?

9. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

I don't get the whole Pirate thing myself but Cowboys... Hell yeah, I get that! :huh:

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Two words: Macoco (see "The Pirate" starring Gene Kelly).

Three words: Dread Pirate Roberts ("The Princess Bride").

And three more words: Captain Jack Sparrow.

Swoon!

11. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 16 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]479830[/snapback]</div>
    Because they are cool.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Errol Flynn

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We remember the names of the notorious ones. There were and are many more pirates in the world, but the notorious and colorful ones have become the stuff of legend. As already stated in a previous post, we do the same for other colorful outlaws. It's human nature to romanticize stories and try to escape from our dull, routine lives.

Tom

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you ask me, it comes down to a sense of freedom. As kids, we're always being told what to do, where to go, etc. We want to rebel a little, get out of our parents control. Pirates, cowboys, etc all have that freedom. they have a boat, or a horse, or a get away car that allows them to do what they want. They have a blatant disregard for the rules and the rule makers, much as we, as kids, wanted.

It's not the thieving or killing that we idolize. It's the sense of freedom we see in these historical icons. Thats why the police that chase the bad guys, or the captains of the ships of the line or the sheriffs out west aren't idolized - they are our parents. They are the rules, and they have no freedom with what to do. The only exception to this rule is Bruce Willis. Yippie-ka-yay.

15. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aaarrrrgghhhh!!!!!!!!!

16. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    [attachmentid=9808]

Attached Files:

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Johnny Depp & rotten teeth, no bathing sounds glorious doesnt it..

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I think it's because we all hearken back to a simpler time when we were all either lads or wenches. The rules were so simple then.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 17 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]480301[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm so there where no gay pirates? :huh: You did say there were either Lads or wenches.. Hmm I wonder how a woman of today would like to be called a wench?? :blink: :lol:

Ahh yes a simpler time, no worries of becoming obese, and people holding silent protests baning conseild carry swords in villages.

just sit back and enjoy some wenches and a little rum... B)

20. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]480314[/snapback]</div>
    I can answer that. When I'm sitting on the back deck and call out "Hey, Wench, fetch me an ale" to my wife, I generally receive no audible response, nor any ale.

rpm