1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do you drive a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DustinWS6, Apr 19, 2007.

1. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

explain

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DustinWS6 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]426312[/snapback]</div>
    Number 1 reason it replaced a 1995 jeep grand cherokee that was in excellent cond. except for a leaking tranny been repaired once and got a whopping 13 MPG on the highway..

number 2 liked the style body curves the color BARCELONA RED METALIC red rocks club ya know

and the wife and I both agreed on a car and color had to do it and love it

and # 3 the big 3 auto makers here have not produced anything like this since the EV1 and Ranger EV

so I hope that answers your question

4. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]426315[/snapback]</div>

O RLY?

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Troll back...

What else are you gonna do with a Prius if not drive it?

6. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 19 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]426317[/snapback]</div>
    I see. How is the gas mileage with these cars?

I just don't see how the car would be useful to someone unless they are traveling all the time. Not to mention that it has no personality and is an overall boring car to drive :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 19 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]426320[/snapback]</div>
    Why did you choose a Prius as your mode of transportation. Better?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DustinWS6 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]426323[/snapback]</div>
    Depends.. do you drive like an a**hole or what?

Although even if you did drive like a nutcase, it'd still be better than a 4-cylinder midsize on a good day (say.. TSX or Accord or Fusion or any other 4-cylinder midsize cars you can think of that you'd wanna drive).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DustinWS6 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]426323[/snapback]</div>
    The same can be applied to an M3. Why would anyone drive an M3? It has the stiffest suspension from hell, it gets bad mileage and it's hella expensive. Because they want a road-legal track day car (yeah yeah I know the M3 CSL but we don't get the CSL here).

Or why would anyone drive a Grand Cherokee Laredo V8? It has no personality and is an overall boring car to drive except going in a straight line :lol:

8. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]426328[/snapback]</div>

In real world driving situations, what can I expect a Prius to get....40-50mpg?

Maybe a person would buy a M3 because they love the looks and performance of the car. As for the Cherokee, the owner may not need a truck bed, but still needs to power to pull a boat or trailer

Just getting everyone's opinions here

9. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Why do you want to know?
    Are you trying to decide if you want to buy a hybrid?
    Do you own one already and just want to talk about it? if that is the case welcome to prius chat.

Maybe you are a troll just looking for reasons to bash the car and stir up a hornet’s nest but that has yet to be seen. You do come off rather trollish to some just so you know.

I myself wanted a car with good mpg and low emissions.
    I also wanted to purchase a car that is helping to break the oil dependence.
    I looked at other vehicles but non of them got the posted epa mpg but the prius was one of the highest. I did consider the Honda Insight but for the money the prius was a better buy.
    In addition to all that the tech in the car is awesome. Have you ever looked into how the transmission works to incorporate the electric motor and ice along with regenerative braking?

I get great mpg in the city depending on the time of year I get between 46-54mpg per tank.

Can another non hybrid car get that in real world settings?

Sure there are but the emissions are higher than the prius and I don’t care for a diesel.

If you need to know anything more about why I bought my car let me know.

**edit**

I don’t think any sedan that is designed for economy is going to be thrilling to drive. You are not going to get an adrenaline rush from the performance other than the first time you get 55+mpg on a tank of gas. If you want fun get a sports car and do not complain about mpg.

10. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 19 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]426342[/snapback]</div>
    I don't own one, just looking for information. Why do I come off as trollish?

Anyways, are most people here anti-SUV and other gas drinking vehicles?

I have a sports car and it gets decent mileage on the highway to be making 380rwhp :)

11. aoc6m6

aoc6m6 New Member

I just sold my Z28 b/c it was enviromentally unfriendly not to mention the fuel mileage. It's nice to go from a car w/ headers and dual exhausts that was obnoxiously loud to a nice quiet car that's green. I can see both sides of the fence and I bought the prius and am very satisfied.

I just sold my Z28 b/c it was enviromentally unfriendly not to mention the fuel mileage. It's nice to go from a car w/ headers and dual exhausts that was obnoxiously loud to a nice quiet car that's green. I can see both sides of the fence and I bought the prius and am very satisfied.

12. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

So how do these cars fit people who are tall?

13. aoc6m6

aoc6m6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DustinWS6 @ Apr 19 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]426358[/snapback]</div>
    I have a friend on LS2.com that's 6'4" and he said he fits in it fine. His SN is numbZ.

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]426328[/snapback]</div>
    Hey I liked my grand cherokee laredo v8 4x4 ( Pearl white color) (boring) it could haul looked good went anyplace but sucked on fuel economy you have to give each and every vehicle personality anyway you dont buy it you create it.
    Same as with our RED Prius we will give it personality

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DustinWS6 @ Apr 19 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]426358[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm 6' 2" and weigh 295# fit just fine do not even need a seat belt extender..

15. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 19 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]426367[/snapback]</div>
    I like my Mini with the works package it was incredibly fast and took turns with a vengeance. In fact the Cooper S with the John Cooper works package beat the Porsche GT3 on the slalom test and that is impressive as all heck imho. All that being said the 14-18mpg during hard driving wasn’t. my average per tank was 22 if I drove normally.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

I didnt buy mine for the green factor, I bought it to cut down on how much I was spending a week on oil. I would much rather put my money into a car that pays peoples salary, than hand it off to the oil bigwigs who sit on their butts getting fat and rich.

I still have my big honkin F350 Dually CrewCab Diesel and I will never get rid of it, but at between $100-$117 a week to fill it just to go to work, that right there was reason enough for me to downsize to the Prius. With the cost savings in fuel I will be ahead each month even with the car payment and insurance. So far I have spent $50.05 in gas over two weeks, about 17 gallons used compared to about 60 gallons I would have normally used. The fact that I pollute less now is a side benefit, one in which I agree as being a good thing for everyone. Those who bash a Prius are either jealous, or stupid. The Prius is no different than any other mid size car out there, except that it gets fabulous fuel economy and is a bit on the slow side. Than again I remember having an 86 Chevy Nova that got 33 MPG and was slow as well, but smaller inside than this one.

I was thinking the other day of a sign in the back window that says I am getting (ties into MFD MPG readout) MPG, are you?

17. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 19 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]426367[/snapback]</div>
    My black WS6 already had personality. It's one bad motha! :lol:

18. winterrosebudd@mac.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the best car I've ever had. I've had a ton of gas guzzlers, vintage, trucks...even a cop car once (talk about fun 2 drive). But the Prius actually IS really fun to drive. You really have to experience it for yourself. The car is decieving from the outside. Its alot roomier than you think...also has all the bells and whistles of a luxery car.

The best thing is the mileage. I'm spending $150.00 LESS a month on gas now, it's a beautiful thing. Don't knock it babe.

19. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Apr 19 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]426380[/snapback]</div>

I call mine the Tardis! My Cell phone now has a Doctor Who ring tone.

20. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

How much can you pick up a decent used one for?