1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why does my Blizzard Pearl v look bigger than any other color?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by gnguyen, Oct 10, 2012.

1. gnguyen

gnguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know black is slimming in clothes, but every other v I see out there in the SF Bay Area looks smaller than my Blizzard Pearl v 2. The black ones look tidy and narrower from behind, whereas my Blizzard Pearl looks wide and squat. Metallic blue and magnetic grey both look a little smaller and sleeker.

Is it just me being silly? There aren't two different chassis floating around out there?

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You're being silly. But my wife's Blizzard Pearl Prius v Five actually does seem quite large compared to her previous Camry and even to the Lexus LS parked next to it in our garage. It is quite a bit taller than the LS, has doors almost exactly the same length as the LS, and has about the same amount of front and rear legroom as the LS.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well black (darker colors) is slimming. Just be happy your car doesn't come with horizontal stripes! :eek: Fatty! Hahaha

Quentin likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes they build two cars, one for blizzard pearl customers and the other for the rest of us.

5. gnguyen

gnguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just what I suspected!

Seriously though, it is uncanny what a difference the color makes in spatial perception. I mistake black v's for c's at first glance from behind sometimes.

6. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found this off the internet:

‘Black is not really a color. It is actually the absence of the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum. So when you see something that is black or you are in the dark and everything around you seems black, it means that there are no wavelengths of visible light hitting your eye and is perceived as the color black.

White is the combination of all the visible light spectrum wavelengths and Black does not absorb light, it absorbs light energy or heat from the sun.

The only black that does not reflect any light is a theoretical black. If black did not reflect any visible light, you wouldn't be able to see any surface. You would see a void. You can see this when looking at a black object with a textured surface. What you see are varying shades of black. So, while the amount of light being reflected is significantly smaller than, say, a white object, there is still a portion of the light hitting the object that is being reflected back to your eyes. The black object you are looking at is perceived as smaller due to the reduced amount of light reflected.

In clothing, the rule of thumb is darker colors will make the wearer appear smaller and lighter clothing will make the wearer look larger.’