1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why does my PiP beep at me when I leave?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by plugable, Apr 9, 2012.

1. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I open my driver side door to leave my PiP right after I shut it off, it beeps at me about 6 times. If I wait about 8 seconds or so before opening the door, it doesn't beep. If I wait in between 0 and 8 seconds, it beeps at me a number of times inversely related to how long I wait - the longer I wait, the less times it beeps. Has any body else noticed this? :confused:

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not a PIP owner so I'm not sure about your number of beeps but in a regular Prius a three beep code means you left the car on (ready mode) and exited with the key fob.

3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Obviously, it enjoys a few seconds of quiet time with you!:D

4. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, this is my 3rd Prius, and I'm hitting the "Power" button each time to shut it off like I always have. I did notice that the 8 second delay before I can open the door without it beeping does seem to correspond with the interior light coming on by itself.

5. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Psychologically speaking, it does seem to either have control issues, or it's just being needy....:)

6. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it may be a little insecure and does not want you to leave. I also think that the longer you take to open the door before leaving the less insecure it feels and therefore it beeps fewer times. But since I have never observed such behaviour myself I have to rely on guesswork for now. I beg you to please share with us any additional information that you might discover which may lead to such strange behaviour since one of us other PC fellows might just end up with such a case ourselves one day.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There may be a setting that can be changed. Since this is your 3rd. Prius, have you tried to check the 12V SOC on the diagnostic screen?:cheer2::cheer2:

8. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12V SOC's? Isn't that what you use to keep your feet warm in the winter? :) But seriously, since my Prii have been so reliable, I haven't felt the need to get too involved with their inner workings. I did buy a scangauge a few years ago, and I've used it a couple of times to get rid of the reverse and seat belt beeping, but that's about it. But if you don't mind telling me what to look for and how to look for it, I'd be happy to give it a try.:rockon:

9. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have no idea. There should be a Warning Message along with any buzzer. Look at pages 556 to 561 (the pink section) in your manual. Maybe one of those will make sense to your situation.

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This was a common procedure on the previous generations, but like they say, if one is not aware of a problem, there is no problem!

11. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Plugable,
    I haven't noticed the beeps when leaving the PIP, but I will be listening tomorrow.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Come to think of it, that is the warning the car gives when you leave it in ready and step out of the car. Also, I have never tried it, but the same warning may go off if you leave the FOB in or around the car. Do you know the whereabouts of your other FOB?

13. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is no Warning Message, but when I look at the Customization section of the manual, I notice a couple of interesting things. Under "Operation after the POWER switch turned off", the default is "ON", and the Customized setting is "OFF". When I hit the POWER switch to shut off the Prius, the overhead lights come on after a delay of about 8 seconds. That corresponds to the time I need to wait if I want to open the door without it beeping at me. Does your overhead light come on right away after you hit the POWER button? Also, it says I can change the setting using the navigation system. Do you know how I can do that? I can hit the "Setup" button to the right of the MFD, and then hit the "Vehicle" soft key, but I don't see where I can change the setting there.

Another thing I noticed was that the overhead lights don't go on when I approach the car with the key in my pocket. The default setting is supposed to be "ON", and it says I can configure it through the navigation system, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Any assistance would be appreciated! :)

14. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The other fob is inside my house. I think the problem is associated with the Customization settings. Please see my response to RolfS for more info.

15. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As soon as I hit the Power button, my interior lights come on.

There are 3 types of customization that can be done: via the Display Audio Unit, via the Premium HDD Nav unit, and via the Dealer. It sounds like you are referring to one that can only be set via the Premium unit or via the Dealer.

This is an option that only your dealer needs can set. It can't be set by either the Display Audio or Premium Nav unit, unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  16. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info! It sounds like I'll need to schedule a visit with the dealer. Since the options are configured differently than the default settings, I would assume they will cover it under warranty.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If it is the dealer where you bought the car, you may be able to talk them into doing it for free, like was done for me for to change the <bleep> continuous backup alert to a single beep.

18. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I brought my PIP to the Dealer Monday, 26 days after purchase, and they had no problem changing the opening of the Driver door to also unlock the other doors. FREE.

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's a procedure in the manual to do that. No need for a trip to the dealer. Though it is nice of them to do it for free.

20. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I too am experiencing this "one or more short beeps after powering off and opening driver door." It started at about 10k miles on my Prius v, a month ago or so. Hadn't changed a thing.
    • No extra fob in car.
    • Auto-off feature takes care of lights so it's not that.
    • And I don't have a sunroof.
    • And it's not like I'm even opening the door *while* I'm powering down ... there's a good second or two between releasing the power button and opening the door.
    I thought it might be because my maintenance light had just come on for the 10K service and it was an added reminder (?), but that's out now and it's still doing it.

As far as leaving it in Drive, I never put it in Park before powering off (so is transmission really still in Drive?). My Prii have never fussed at me before for doing this.

Been a Prius driver for 10 years and this is my 3rd. Never experienced this before and just ...

... baffled.