1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why does the GPS screen switch from white to black?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusenvious1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just wondering... I know when it gets dark out and the auto headlights turn on, the GPS screen switches from a white background to a black one. But it's equally easy to read in the dark. I'm just wondering what purpose this serves?

Also, I noticed this can be overridden by using the scroll wheel to adjust interior lighting next to the steering column on the left by the

2. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is night mode.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it's a night mode. Having a bright white background on at night, esp. if it's very dark out can be very annoying and almost blinding to some.

4. GolfBum

GolfBum New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it's "night mode." Having the white background at night would create too much light in the cabin and make it more difficult to see. Other things inside the cabin, like the HUD intensity, also auto-adjust to the light outside. You want screens and displays to be bright enough that you can see them but not so bright that it causes your iris to close and thus making it harder to see at night.

The same light/dark background switching occurs on the display panels of aircraft cockpits.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did not like the black background of night mode so switched mine to only day mode. The white light at night is not a bother to me.

JMD likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My Garmin does the same thing.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Extra light within the cabin at night causes the pupils to constrict and reduce distance vision. That is why manufacturers try to reduce the amount of light in the cabin after dark. For this reason it is best not to use high powered fog lights at night unless you truly need them in foggy conditions.