1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why does the ICE start running again when battery charged?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tacomel, Jun 30, 2006.

1. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Hi all,

I am wondering about a phenomenon that I have observed in 3 of the 5 days this week that I have driven my new Prius to work.

My commute is 6 miles and takes about 10 minutes. The first mile features a 40 MPH limit 2-lane road with a big hill to go up and then back down. Then it's 4 miles on a 45 MPH limit road with a couple traffic lights, fairly flat, and fairly heavy traffic. Finally it's 1 mile on a 30 MPH road, which is flat or slightly downhill, with traffic generally moving at 40+ MPH. And finally, I turn in to work and go up two levels in the parking garage.

As expected, the ICE runs for about the first 5 minutes. Even when coasting down the hill the ICE is on and MFD registers about 50 MPG while regenerative brakeing. After about 5 minutes I can do a fair amount of gliding on the 45 MPH road. By the time I'm done on that road, I have 6 bars on the battery and coast or stealth the entire mile on the 30 MPH road.

My question concerns when I get into the parking garage. If I'm sufficiently lucky not to have anyone tailgating me, I can advance to my parking spot in all electric mode. The problem is, the ICE kicks in, and even when in stealth or coasting, MFD reports 30-50 MPG. It seems pointless for the ICE to come on here, as I have 5-6 bars on the battery and the car is warmed up at this point.

Any insights? Would the EV switch help here (activate EV when in the parking ramp to keep the ICE off)?

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the ICE is kicking in while in the garage, I would assume you've pressed the accelerator hard enough for it to need a boost. Otherwise I can't see why it would come on at all.

I know when I pull in garages, it will come on as I go up the ramps but on the straight away's, it will shut off and kick back on again as I need it.

3. tacomel

tacomel New Member

When the ICE comes on, there is no transfer of energy (i.e., no orange arrows) from the ICE. The only way I know the ICE is on is because I hear it. And, it's the phenomenon of getting only 50 MPG (or less) during regenerative braking or stealth?

Yes, I know the ICE can (and occasionally does) come on going up a ramp, and there's energy transfer then. It's when I'm going slightly downhill (on the straightaway) either coasting or in stealth where I am wondering why it would come on.

Also in case it is not clear, the car has been on and driving for 10-12 minutes by the time I hit the parking garage.

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is odd. I also think that even when my ice is on, I can see 99.9mpg on the display, so maybe something else isn't quite right?

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    There are any number of reasons why the ICE kicks in under any number of circumstances.

The car is setup to NEVER tax the battery...it could be too hot, too cold, not charged enough, too charged, maybe grumpy or sleepy or ...well, there are so many variables that the computers consider.

I bet the EV switch would work perfectly for your scenario. I use mine in my work parking lot and local neighborhood road leading to my driveway. Otherwise the ICE may come on.

And if the conditions aren't right for forced EV, the car is smart to NOT allow me to do so.

I love my Prius!

Cheers,

Curt.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every workday, when I've gotten to our parking lot, I set the cruise to 25MPH and see what the car decides to do.

Most days, it waits until it gets to a certain part of the driveway to go battery-only. I don't think it's more flat or downhill than the rest of the driveway, but I can't recall ever not burning gas before that point.

Other days, it'll act like the battery is low and report very low MPGs all the way to my "drift point", where I disengage the cruise and drift to my parking spot. On a really bad day, it will also run the ICE even after I try to drift.

Here's the pertinent detail to this story: never once was the battery actually low when I checked after the ICE kept running. Eight miles to work has always been enough to get it right up to a normal level. It merely decides that no, we won't be stopping the ICE just yet. No major climate differences to impact this decision.

So I've given up trying to explain it, I just assume there was SOME reason for it, and I'll wait until it seems to do it all the time before I get worried...

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From your description you do a lot of coasting and stealth in your last few miles, a possibility is your catalytic converter is getting cold. Even with a warmed up engine the converter can cool down from glide/stealth operation at your speeds. When you get to the parking garage even a tiny call for speed combined with a cooler converter can make the car want to kick the ICE on to warm up the converter. EV switch would help here.

Wayne

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I did read the last linked article with interest, but based on the ICE being rough when shutting off, that might not be it. I'll try to do a little more experimenting with this, if I'm on-time enough and don't have anyone behind me. I just find it strange that it happens at the same point in the commute, seemingly regardless of how the rest of the commute has gone.

I'd buy the explanation about the catalytic converter, or anything else that the computer is trying to keep warm, cooling off during 4-5 minutes of little gasoline use. Tomorrow I'll try to drive it more aggressively between home and the parking garage (meaning, try to keep the ICE on). I'd figure that this explanation could be ruled out if I keep the ICE on most of the way and have the battery charge the same as it usually is (5-6 bars), and still observe the same effect.

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 5 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]281630[/snapback]</div>
    From the article "The Five Stages of Prius Hybrid Operation",
    Actually, I have a similar situation. I have to make a left turn to get to the parking lot at work. If there are no cars coming in the other direction, I can drive to the parking lot in stealth. If I had to stop and wait for the cars to clear or there are cars behind me, I’ll have to accelerate quicker and ICE will kick in. In that case, ICE won’t even shut off after I stop completely. And my commute is 30 mins long, 50% highway and 50% local. I am pretty sure by the time I get to work, the engine and cat are warm enough.

11. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Sorry -- My previous post wasn't clear - what I had intended to say was something along these lines: the article says that the engine shutoff will be rough, but when the engine shuts off on me it's smooth, so it's probably something else. In any case I will take the most inefficient Prius commute I can muster tomorrow and see if the phenomenon repeats itself in the parking garage, and report back.

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 6 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]281759[/snapback]</div>
    After you notice the ICE on, when does your ICE off?

If it is about 5 seconds later from stopping your vehicle, you were in S3a and now go into S4 whatever the ICE was rough or smooth.

Ken@Japan

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More than likely, at some point shortly before you came to a full stop, you accelerated the car to a speed less than 35mph using the ICE. Once that occurs the ICE will continue to spin until you come to a full stop for several seconds. Sometimes it will shut off with acceleration to only 30mph, but rarely will it shut off if your top speed is less than 30 until you've come to a complete stop.

Why? I have no idea, just the way it's programmed. If the option exists for your commute, accelerate to 35, quickly lift your foot from the accelerator, and the ICE should shut off. If you have or install an EV button I'd hit it at just under 34mph and you should be able to maintain the ICE off condition until you shut-down. You might even be able to do it without the EV button if you don't have to climb any ramps that would force the ICE back on.

14. tacomel

tacomel New Member

efusco probably nailed it - but I'll post the result of my experiment anyway. I was successful in having the ICE run for the majority of my trip (I'd say 90%). At the end this got to be a challenge - I was at 6 bars (suspect I was "going on 7") and under 35 MPH, and the car wanted so badly to stealth. Anyway, when I got to my parking location, I was still at 6 bars and observed the same (ICE on, stealth mode indicated my MFD, mileage at 40-50 MPG during that). When I got to my parking spot I sat there on the brake until the ICE shut off, which was about 5 seconds, and was rough.

Since the ICE invariably kicks on as I ascend from one level to the next, and I don't stop when reaching the level, the part about the ICE continuing to run until I come to a stop for several seconds is probably the explanation. If I happen to arrive at work and have nobody behind me, I'll stop at the end of the incline until the ICE turns off, and see if my results are reproducible.

After my experiment today - granted one drive isn't enough to establish or deny conclusions - I must say the Prius is a pretty amazing machine. Normally my commute has a 5-minute bar at around 35 MPG and then one at 75 MPG, with my "best effort" at coasting and such. Today, the bars were 35 MPG and probably about 60 MPG, intentionally driving "badly." So even driving badly, it still performs!

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Instantaneous mpg can be misleading. If you are going very slowly (say, in a parking garage) 50 mpg is actually buring an infinitessimal amount of gas. And if the engine is not propelling the car much, and not charging the battery, then there is essentially no load on it.

It's awfully frustrating when you want the car to be silent because it's so cool when it is, but it insists on running the engine. But there's really nothing wrong, and the gas burned is insignificant.

However, this is exactly the kind of sutuation when the EV switch is nice to have. Engage it when you enter the garage, and unless you have uphill ramps (which will drain the battery fast!) you can glide silently along.