1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why does the MFD update so slowly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darkecho, Aug 18, 2006.

1. darkecho

darkecho New Member

I would assume that it should be fairly easy to change the refresh rate of the MFD, I cant think of any reason why they(Toyota) would be limited in getting the MFD to go faster. I imagine that they just didnt want people getting too distracted with it if it update faster and was jumping around so much... but I think for us trying to get better mileage, having a quicker MFD would be nice because it wouldnt lag when showing us whats going on...

anyone know if theres an easy way to change the refresh rate? or why its slow?

2. gordonr

gordonr Member

As has been described here before, the MFD is only a crude approximation of what is really going on. Beyond update speed, I'd first like it to actually show a much more accurate approximation of the HSD operation. As an example, much of the time I can be gliding (foot completely off the gas or brake pedals) to a stop from the 30 to 35 mph range with the MFD showing only recharge with the ICE off, and when I come to a stop the ICE is running as plain as day. Faster updates of inaccurate information isn't all that useful.

3. darkecho

darkecho New Member

Does CANview fix the problem of inaccurate information?

4. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gordonr @ Aug 18 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]305375[/snapback]</div>
    I too would like more information to be displayed on the MFD and the 3 second update rate is a bit slower than I would have designed, however I would dispute that it is inaccurate regarding the ICE state.

In the example you quote the ICE is idling and not providing electrical power so the display is accurate. It does not attempt to indicate whether the ICE is running, only whether it is providing power.

I don't know why but there seems to be a speed threshold that you have to hit before the engine shuts down quickly - I suspect it is to avoid excessive stop-starts of the ICE.

I usually pulse up to about 38MPH before the glide and the ICE shuts down as expected, if I pulse to a lower speed then the engine will keep running until a few seconds after I come to a complete stop.

kevin

5. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sheesh...when I read the title I thought "must be some New Yorkers that can't wait 3 seconds for the screen to update" Imagine my surprise when it was left coast folks.

Now before anyone flames me...I am an uptight, impatient, type A New Yorker myself. I just happen to be a little further upstate. :lol:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 18 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]305440[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is very fast to update.

7. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

very short refresh times will end up looking like noise and it might not be easy for the driver to register data from a continuosly varying display. I think 3 seconds is good enough for the reading to be steady while the data is registered by the driver and yet not too far from being instantaneous.

8. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

Im happy with the MFD as it is now.

9. Cully

Cully New Member

It is possible for it to update much much faster but you will only get 28 mile to the gallon.

Matt
    Denver