1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why doesn't Toyota include an installed EBH as an option?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusRos, Sep 18, 2007.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've heard so much about the advantage of using an engine block heater. It seems a pretty straightforward piece of technology and there's already a slot for it -- so why doesn't Toyota include it as an option so one doesn't have to first shop for one and then find a way to get it installed? Do Canadian Prii have this as an installed option?

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The block heater is mandatory eqiupment in some parts of Canada. It's a dealer option in Alaska.

What fun would it be if the dealers did it. Where would I get my exercise.

Wayne

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 18 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]514262[/snapback]</div>

Well, if I can find one by then, you'll have another customer at the Virginia meet -- wouldn't want you to not have maximum fun! :lol:

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't even buy one!!

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]514280[/snapback]</div>
    You can try the internet Toyota part places and also contact northern state dealers. There are some out there, just hard to find now. Remember to use part number 00113-00213-00889, on the internet do a search by part number on the parts web sites.

Wayne

6. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 18 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]514299[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Wayne!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they're automatically added to Canadian cars in most provinces (and definitely the territories). I believe BC is the only province where an EBH is a dealer-installed accessory.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have a hard time seeing them putting in EBHs at the port in jacksonville for southeast toyota :lol:

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 18 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]514370[/snapback]</div>
    For only $200 Canadian dollars...

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WW...%2fintro%2ehtml

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 18 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]514519[/snapback]</div>
    hehe.. yeah.. hence the reason why I wanted in on the group buy

btw, you can't quote toyota.ca links for some reason. Same for canadian tire links. They all go back to the homepage.

11. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 18 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]514379[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that where Wayne spends his spare weekends? When he is not installing EBHs? :p

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 18 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]514284[/snapback]</div>
    You could buy one of the North American models, just remember to flip it over before installation. :rolleyes:

Tom

13. gawilson

gawilson New Member

How exactly would one use this and in what climates would it be worth the investment?

I live in Va, up in the mountains, and we have, or used to have, a lot of very cold weather. I think this might be useful in saving some gas in the mornings on the drive to work but I'm not sure as to exactly how this thing works. Would one need to use a timer and plug this in at night? I've heard times of several hours needed to preheat the vehicle. Would installing it void the warranty? If so, would allowing the dealer to do this preserve it? Sorry for all the questions but...I'd hate to lose a lot of money trying to save a little.
    I also saw that the price quoted from dealers by folks on the net is significantly higher than the price quoted in priuschatshop here.
    Just trying to get the best fuel efficiency with the most reasonable approach. I've noticed that my own personal mpg has dropped significantly since I changed tires and over the summer and into the "winter" (if you can call it that here).
    greg
    PS> I've switched to Michelin HydroEdge and my 2005 Prius has about 60K--no real problems other than wildlife running into me (2 deer and a raccoon whose's hump tore out the lower front bumper! Wish there were some warning system for the critters---haven't killed any of them but they've demolished the vehicle cosmetically.

14. Jon the Chief

Jon the Chief Jon the Chief

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    230v Engine Block Heating for shipping to England?

I’m up for a block heater, but I need 230v 50 Hz.

Has anyone in Denmark, Sweden or Norway got a supply, or a part number we can use to order on.

Please PM if you can get me one, and we can arrange payment and shipping.

Jon the Chief.

15. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why not just get an appliance-type down-converter? Plug EBH into converter, converter into wall, presto.

~ dan ~

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Coming from your "neighbor" a little closer to the flatlands (in the Richmond area) ....

I think it's one of the better investments to make in a modification. It will not void the warranty; it's sold by Toyota. I use a timer that turns it on about 3-4 hours before I leave in the morning. Those that have compared the cost of electricity used to gasoline saved demonstrate a net savings with its use.

See this for a lengthy discussion. Also see this for an installation guide with pics (provided by another local, BTW).

17. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just a quick note, they're dealer-installed accessories in Ontario as well. I paid the dealer to put mine on, because I'm that lazy.

MAB