1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Fill up your tank to full?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by YoDaddyAlex, Jun 16, 2008.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    isn't filling your tank up to full unnecessary? Too much unneeded weight, right?

-Alex

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would imagine it depends on what your priorities are. I prefer to get gas as little as possible, so whatever extra weight a full tank adds is worth it to me. Besides, I can't imagine that your mileage takes that much of a hit between starting with a full tank and a 1/2 tank.

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't fill to full that means more trips to gas stations. I'd wager more fuel would be wasted than saved.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are carrying extra weight with a full tank. Airliners fly with partial tanks most of the time for this very reason. It's not as big a deal on the Prius, since it isn't flying. Also, since the tank is small, the amount of extra weight isn't too bad. At about six pounds per gallon, the difference between a full tank and a half tank is about 30 pounds. It's up to you to decide if the weight is worth the inconvenience.

Tom

5. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In tank fuel pumps may have their lives significantly shortened by continually driving around at or near empty. The fuel in the tank serves as a means of cooling the submerged pump.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last year, I had a coworker carpooling with me.
    This year, I don't.

There's little to no difference in my MPG... and he weighed significantly more than a full tank of gas!

I prefer a full tank. Especially since every time we fill Rudy up, the cost per gallon has been higher. Sigh.

7. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drive 600 miles per week, so I prefer to fill up all the way, for fewer trips to the gas station. Once every four days is plenty for me!

If you drive just a few miles per week, feel free to fill up with just a few gallons each time.

8. minkforce1

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    we're talking what here, 6 gallons of gas? this site Weight of One Gallon (U.S.) of Water, Gasoline, and Ethanol says gas weighs between 5.8 to 6.5 lbs/gallon.

thats an extra 40 lbs at the high end.

on the other hand, driving my overweight roommate, his equally overweight girlfriend, and my somewhat overweight best friend around gives me a nice little hit in mileage. tell your friends to lose some weight compensate for a full tank. itll be healthy for them.

9. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i was under the impression that anything extra counts. even a few psi lower pressure in your tires. I was just wondering what negative impact filling your tank to full every time would have on mpg. i guess its very minimal at best.

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great answer. It answers it for me.

ZC1

11. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It all depends what your time is worth...

I suppose too, a person would have to take into account if a really hot cashier worked at the local service station ;)

Nah, fill-r-up...

12. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MIKKFORCE - wow, i find your comments a bit humorous. loosing weight will definitely help YOUR mpg, then, help your friends hopefully live a bit longer!

it's humorous because i once drove alongside a very darkly tinted prius, but i noticed that the car was "LOWERED" to an almost PERFECT RIDE HEIGHT - i lowered my window and asked him, hey, did you cut the coils? what lowering springs did you use?
    then, a VERY large person rolled down the window on the passenger AND rear passenger side and they said................NOTHING LOWERED, JUST FOUR FAT RIDERS...............i was very embarrassed and said NOTHING more. :(((

to put my 2 cents to this thread.......................it's VERY cheap to fill up our cars..............i prefer to fill it up all the way, monitor my fuel consumption both ways, the computer and the old fashioned way and laugh when i dont see the gas station for another week or two. :)

13. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've been filling up at half-full, on the days prices are best lately.

The last 5 gallons I considered my "emergency gas supply", in case of power failures (Priups) or who knows what.

AFAIConcerned, when prices keep rising, everyday is best price day.