1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Ford will fail like GM

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the title of the article says it all

Ford Planning Huge SUV

NEW YORK - Ford Motor will put a stretched version of its Expedition SUV into production next April at the Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, Mich., where it builds the regular Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs. The stretched Expedition will be out next summer as a 2007 model, according to supplier sources familiar with the automaker's plans, and a Lincoln counterpart--a stretched Navigator--is likely to follow, perhaps in spring 2007.

http://www.forbes.com/business/2005/12/13/...ml?boxes=author

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While looking for more information on the new Ford vehicle, I stumbled upon some early-release photos.

[CLICK]

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :lol:

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is this a reincarnation of the Excursion?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that wouldnt surprise me much... see what happens when the price of gas goes down 5o cents a gallon!!

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    :eek: :blink: :lol:

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The other day, I saw one of those custom stretch limos. I've seen them made out of Hummers before but this one was an Excursion stretch limo. The assuv will die a very slow and painful death. Making a longer Expedition to take the place of the Excursion is just another death throw.

8. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Hey, no wonder Ford is going to fail. They can't spell "SUV" correctly on the front of the car.

9. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My understanding was that Ford stopped the Excursion since it wasn't a good seller. Am I mistaken or was that really the reason?

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yes. Too much better-selling competition.

BUT---they think there's a "market niche" for the "super-Expedition" and "super-Navigator" (both 15 in. longer) that they don't have covered.

Or at least that's the party line. I'm more inclined to think these behemoths were just too far along in development before Bill Ford has his "revelations" earlier this year to simply eat them. Then again, if they sell, I'm sure they'll stay.

I think when Ford smelled how bad things really were at GM, he just said, "now's our chance---let's go all-out for hybrids and become America's green car company."

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM will sell 200,000 suburban Chevy's and GMC's this year. Ford wants a piece of the pie, as do Toyota Nissan etc...... its just economics.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oh wait I should not have mentioned Toyota they will only make money selling 'green' vehicles that don't pollute or use fuel. ;)

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I still don't see anything wrong with this. THis vehicle has a market, and it has its customers. You may not be one, but there are people that need a vehicle this size. I do, which is why even though I'm buying a Prius, I am NOT getting rid of either of our SUV's.

Until Toyota (or anyone for that matter) makes a Prius that can seat 7 with a load of luggage, tow 8500 pounds, and still get 55 mpg...

What you may not realize is that you don't want Ford and GM to fail. What, is Toyota going to fill the void if these two companies fold? Are they suddenly going to make millions of Priuses appear for people to buy? If so, why did I have to wait so damn long for mine?

Ford and GM make good cars. You may not like them, and you may not need them, but there are people who do.

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    True enough, Doc. Of course, when the price of gasoline climbs back up to $3.50 per gallon, people who "need" an Excursion will adapt and find a way to need less.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Or they'll just pay for the gas. I do. Everytime I fill up either of my SUV's, I easily spend $50. One (my heavily modified Explorer) gets 13-15 mpg, while my other (a Volvo XC90) gets around 17-19 mpg. I don't complain, I don't fuss, and I really don't mind. It's the price I pay for a vehicle of these capabilities.

And I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. Sure there are some who will complain about the price, but many of these will complain every time the post office raises the cost of a stamp a penny, for example. They ALWAYS complain, no matter what it is. Heck there are Prius drivers who complain about the price of gas.

Everything has it's place. When I start commuting 120 miles each day, the Prius will have it's place. When we go on a long trip and need comfortable seating for 7, the Volvo has it's place (not to mention it's likely the safest car on the road). When it comes to any dirty work, towing, or just having a blast driving, then the Explorer comes in. And they all lived happily ever after... :D

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And there are people out there who actually do need, say, an F350 for the work that they do. Some of my best friends are SUV owners B). I've never been able to cost-justify a very large vehicle for myself because I don't really need it. The one thing that I would do, personally, is to get a trailer and use it when I needed to haul something. I just wonder how so many of us were able to get by with just a station wagon in the days before even the mini van. How many people out there really don't need a large SUV? And, why can't GM and Ford make money without selling them? Never mind about the last question, it was rhetorical.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK. Never minding.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is your Prius a base model without a/c, navigation, leather, or any other toys. I am sure it will get better mileage without those things. Twice as many people will buy a Suburban/yukon in 2006 as will purchase a prius. Everything is relative. If you are really concerned about pollution and fuel economy shouldn't you live near your place of employment and not own a vehicle at all? After all the Prius does burn gasoline and does give off emissions, yes it burn less fuel and gives off less emissions, but if you are consistently hauling 4+ people and gear are you better off hauling them around in a suburban or driving around two Priuses? Remember to take into effect all of the pollution and energy usage it takes to assemble a vehicle and to ship a vehicle across the ocean. :unsure:

19. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Is your Prius a base model without a/c, navigation, leather, or any other toys. I am sure it will get better mileage without those things."

Hmmm, leather and Nav reduce MPG? Care to explain how?

A/C is standard, there is no base model without it.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why is there no base model? All of those features add weight and the A/c takes energy to power.