1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why hasn't anyone else noticed this in the headlight assembly?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sb06794, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sb06794

sb06794 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my U.S. 2011 Prius 4, the headlight assemblies each have a horizontal row of 5 LEDs located immediately below the parking light (which is at the top of the assembly). These are never energized no matter what position the headlight switch is in. I can only assume these are utilized in the Canadian version of the car as daytime running lights.

I've read all the threads about daytime running lights, most of which are quite old. No one has mentioned the headlight assemblies (at least in 2011) already containing LED daytime running lights. Since they are already there, it should be a very simple matter of connecting them to a 12 volt DC source through a simple 12 volt DC single-pole single-throw relay that deactivates the LEDs whenever the headlights are energized. (Note: I'm an Electrical Engineer.) My only question is where does the LED wiring come out of the headlight assembly. I did not remove the headlight assembly, but I didn't see any unused cables or any other indication of wiring from the LEDs exiting the headlight assemblies.

So, my question is, does anyone know where the wiring from the LEDs exits the headlight assemblies?
    Stu

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rokeby to the rescue! Damn I wish I had not clicked on that link thought and seen drunkin masters lights with LED's installed. I agree with Bazil in post #10. Now when I get home I have to take a look at my light and see if they are the same.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They are decorative, they are not LEDs. Why such big and bold text in your original post? lol

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

Underdog

6. sb06794

sb06794 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm visually impaired. :(
    Stu

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Understandable Stu, is there a zoom function built into your browser which helps any? I never really used it but I remember IE had a button on the lower right which did 100/125/150% magnification on the fly. I'm using Chrome right now and it also can be zoomed in on which may be helpful.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All modern browsers support zooming, and then everything will be big instead of just your posts... You know what you wrote right? :p

In FireFox it is Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

9. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, I've noticed.

And Paradox is correct --- just decorative. I have been keenly interested in the DRL on the led headlamps which will be on my Model Five. Went to the dealership and got fooled by the same effect on a Model Three that you saw. Even made the salesperson start the car.

It would be cool to have those decorations be some more substantive bling. :cool:

Still waiting for someone with a Model Five to post some pics of the headlights with DLRs on. Anyone? :rolleyes:

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The DRL's on a 2012 Prius are below the turn signals, not in the headlight assembly. On a 2012 Prius with LED headlights, there are LED's for the parking lights now, at the top, which kinda form a v shaped pattern.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Mark. I've seen this picture but really want to see it on a non-PiP. Ok, that's not entirely true ---- I really need to see it on my car. ;)

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Evan has some pics of a non PiP in Barcelona Red with the DRLs lit up in his flikr album if you wanted to take a look. To see the whole front end though you'll have to look at Tony blocking the whole middle :-/ ;)

Plug-In Prius - a set on Flickr

1 person likes this.