1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I Am Leaving PRIUS CHAT

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by New_Yorker, Nov 5, 2007.

1. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am a recent member of the Prius Chat and owner of a 2007 Prius Touring Edition.

I have much to contribute but it won't be done here, on this website.

I have a high speed Cable Connection on my PC.

The slowest website I use, by far, is this one.

I haven't the time to wait a minute or more for each click of the mouse to actually do something,

or spend 15 minutes trying to Log-In

Maybe if more of you complain they'll fix the problem

As for me, Sayonora !

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>
    hmm. I've been on this site for a year, and I couldn't disagree more. I have used far slower websites than this one. Do you have cookies turned off? I don't have to log in each time. I think you'll find that patience is a virtue, and you can learn more on this board about the Prius than any other board on the entire internets. :p

-Dave in Seattle

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, he's probably gone already, but leaving me wondering where all
    this "much to contribute" is going to land instead?
    PC has its database-access issues from time to time, but consider
    just how many people are pounding on it every day, AND how many
    externally linked threads it's serving out. That's a lotta work.
    _H*

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    97% of the time the site loads like any other page, IE. it is fast. There are times where the site is VERY slow but after a few hours it seems to speed back up again.

I think your post could have been worded a bit differently. It comes across as very self-important. If you were truely looking for support from other members to voice their concerns regarding the speed of the site you should have just asked for it. :)

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Moved to the OT area since it's, well, off-topic. I do recognize that the speed on the site is not always the best. This software configuration is not really optimized for the amount of traffic we receive here on PriusChat. We will be doing a software upgrade soon, but it sounds like you won't be around for that.

Just ask any of the folks that were around Christmas of 2003 how slow it was... :)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...and I was on dial-up!

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>
    I believe you are making a mistake here my friend. This is an excellent website - and covers a multitude of very different topics and interests. Give it a chance.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've used an assortment of connections, from dialup to T1, with cable and mobile broadband in between, speed-wise. Nothing out of the ordinary -- PC is a little slower than some, a little faster than others. The limitation for me (as, I suspect, for most) is the connection speed.

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before you conclude PC is slow, try accessing it from a different location and/or check your firewall settings

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 5 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]534942[/snapback]</div>
    Dammit, that's twice in one week where I completely agree with you! Stop it or you're going to shatter my world view!

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    riiiiiiight.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 5 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]534930[/snapback]</div>
    What you said.

Sounds to me like the OP just didn't give it enough time, perhaps...?

do not know, but some sites aren't worth the wait; for me, this one is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 5 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]534930[/snapback]</div>
    What you said.

Sounds to me like the OP just didn't give it enough time, perhaps...?

do not know, but some sites aren't worth the wait; for me, this one is.

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    New Yorker, don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out!

Thank goodness, one less loser wasting the bandwidth of my precious PriusChat! :p

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>
    Just wanted to point out something without being judgmental.

For things Prii:

-- If the purpose of your "contribution" is self-expression, then yes, there's an infinite number of faster places to do that than here.

-- But if the purpose of your "contribution" is communication, then this is the best and only place to be.

15. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

16. bustedryde

bustedryde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a new member, I have to agree that the site is slow, especially compared to other forums that I frequent. However, the mass information gained easily outweighs my disdain for the speed. Also, membership isn't fee-based, so I can't complain.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

18. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well this will do nothing to counter the stereotype that new yorkers are impatient ;-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Prius Chat is one of the slower web sites I frequent, and probably the slowest that I frequent a lot. However, it is usually fast enough. It is very popular and has grown rapidly from its inception, constantly straining its capacity. But Danny has upgraded it frequently to keep up.

When it's too slow for my impatience I do something else and come back later. It's usually still here. I figure time of day and day of the week may be factors. But if it's taking longer than 5 seconds or so for the page to load, I usually figure there's something wrong and it'll be fixed soon, which it always is.

For actual Prius information, it's well worth the few seconds to load a page, and I've even found answers to non-Prius questions here.

Thanks, Danny.

New_Yorker: Either you've had the misfortune to log on a couple of times during those slow-downs, or you are very impatient. The depth of Prius expertise here is exceptional, so if you're looking for information, it's worth your while to be more patient, or log in later when the site has sped up a bit. (As I said, there are times when it's so slow that it's best to leave and come back later.) If you just came here to chat, well, you're welcome, but there are probably faster sites for that.

20. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that there are times when loading pages here is excruciatingly slow. However, it comes and goes, and the content of the board is clearly worth the occasional inconvenience. I had assumed that traffic in excess of the system was the cause, and also a symptom of so many folks discovering this web-asset! I am glad to hear of an upgrade coming.

Keep up the good work!
    DM