1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I mourn, three dead, Palo Alto

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 18, 2010.

?

Mourning three dead in Palo Alto

Poll closed Feb 25, 2010.
  1. Yes, I mourn their loss.

62.5%
  2. Let me add something more.

37.5%
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Three strangers to me were lost in a instant, violent crash in the fog. Yet what they did in life, their work on the Tesla electric car, compels me to mourn their loss. A Prius owner, we get fleeting spurts, all too brief moments of electric magic when our cars shutoff that engine and move on in silent bliss. We briefly taste the electric dream they were building.

They were building the car that comes after the Prius. They were building freedom and mobility without an engine and that is the dream, we the living, can not put aside. The Prius has teased us into that dream.

Yes, I know the tricks we can play on the Prius to make it more like a Tesla, a home-grown, electric car. But a Johnathan Livingston Seagull electric car means little if it dies with me. That is why a practical, production, electric car, the electric car that comes after the Prius, is so important. It is why I mourn three dead in Palo Alto.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob,

Like you, and many others, I am saddened and dismayed by the
    untimely and tragic deaths of these three pioneers.

There is the potential for good and greatness in each person. These
    three were working to change the fundamental way that we look at
    personal transportation. They were working to change the algorithm
    for how our freely moving society can be sustainable in the future.
    They were working to change the face of society for all time to come.

They will be greatly missed by their family, friends, and coworkers.
    Although we don't know them as friends, in their endeavors, friends
    they were. I am sure they will be sorely missed at Tesla where their
    dream struggles to survive against huge odds in a difficult economic
    environment.

I can only hope that their work can be carried forward to realize the
    slowly coalescing dream of competent, affordable, all-electric vehicles
    for everyone.

May God bless them, and their family and friends, in this hardship.

1 person likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a pilot, airplane crashes touch a personal nerve. As an engineer, I hate to see the disruption of their important work. As a human, it's just sad.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had not heard about this. But it is sad news, indeed!

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    after reading the words by Musk its so sad to see men who were making a huge difference to have their lives ended before they could see the full impact of their work and how their role in bringing an EV to market will benefit Mankind.

best wishes to the men's families both work and personal in this very sad moment.

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is close to my neck of the woods. I was very sorry to hear about what happened, especially for the families, friends and coworkers of the three who died. Thankfully there were no fatalities or injuries on the ground.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very sad loss for Us, Tesla....and most importantly their families. I think it speaks to the culture at Tesla that these 3 engineers were riding, together...like friends. Not something one would see at other large corporations I'd guess.

Tesla Motors - Leadership
    Doug, Brian, and Andrew
    by Elon Musk

published Thursday, February 18th, 2010
    Tesla employees Doug Bourn, Brian Finn and Andrew Ingram died in yesterday’s plane crash in East Palo Alto. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with their families. Tesla is a small, tightly-knit company and this is a tragic loss for us.

Doug Bourn
    [​IMG]
    Doug Bourn, 56, was a senior electrical engineer and a five-year employee of the company. He was deeply involved in many aspects of the Roadster program and was generous with his time, serving as a mentor and friend to many of us. He loved to fly and was a flight instructor.

Brian Finn
    [​IMG]
    Brian Finn, 42, was a senior interactive electronics manager with Tesla since July of 2008. He brought overriding optimism and a pioneering spirit to the team developing the groundbreaking infotainment screen and user interface for the Model S. Brian was devoted to using technology to bring the car and its driver together.

Andrew Ingram
    [​IMG]
    Andrew Ingram, 31, was an electrical engineer with Tesla for two and a half years. He was passionate about electronics and exquisite audio systems, and was eager to lend a hand wherever it was needed, from marketing to manufacturing.

Doug, Brian, and Andrew were valued members of the Tesla family. They worked on something they believed in, and they are already missed.

1 person likes this.