1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is Carplay so slow to connect?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Torrential, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Torrential

Torrential New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    After a month and a half with my new 2020 XLE AWDe, Carplay is still slow to connect to the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Five minutes or more and only if I disconnect and reconnect the cable. I’ve tried several cables including a brand new Apple cable, no different. Is this user error or something else?

2. JimLudden

JimLudden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had variable results with CarPlay in '24 Prime SE. Connected fine and quickly for first two months, then would not connect at all for a month. I called Toyota tech support phone, who recommended a visit to the dealer (1.5 hours away). Made appointment at dealer, then CarPlay decided to connect immediately!
    Instructions are not particularly clear.

Torrential likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We've been using the same Sony XAV-AX1000 for CarPlay support in our Prius for 6 years.

My wife and I noticed that CarPlay startup time got dramatically slower when we switched to current iPhone hardware, which coincidentally had newer iOS as well.

Works great as ever once we're in it, but it's a lot slower to boot than it was on our older phones with older iOS.

Torrential likes this.
  4. Robert21PrimeLTD

Robert21PrimeLTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had similar problems. Did a web search and determined that the "regular" apple lightning cable was the problem. Search results indicated that a I needed a USB 3.0 cable. I purchase one from Amazon and it fixed my problem. I bought a Belkin BoostCharge Braided Lightning Cable that was MFI certified. FYI I have an iPhone 12 mini. Hope this helps.

Torrential likes this.
  5. Torrential

Torrential New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks all for the comments. Good to know fast connect is possible even if uncommon. I’ll keep playing with cables.

I started with an “Anker Powerline Lightning Cable (3ft), MFi Certified” which looks similar to the Belkin.

Then I got this one to lay down flat and relieve pressure on the connector. Says Mfi but it’s not the high quality of Anker and Belkin.

Attached Files:

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Gotta admit I'm puzzled about @Robert21PrimeLTD's comment... that iPhone 12 is a USB 2.0 device, so a USB 3 cable should not have made any diference, unless there was an actual fault with the prior cable.

7. Torrential

Torrential New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I want to clarify what I am seeing in my car. It’s not that it takes several minutes to connect after connecting the cable. It takes several minutes before it will connect. When it decides it’s ready it connects in seconds. That is, eventually, connecting the cable or disconnect/reconnect takes and the Carplay option appears on the screen. As far as I can tell, if I connect too soon and don’t disconnect/reconnect it will never come up.

So I wait. Sometimes long enough, sometimes not.