1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is the Hummer hated?!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PriusOwner004, Sep 11, 2007.

1. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

So many SUVs, trucks and sports cars get the same or Worse mpg as the Hummer, why is the Hummer the one that always gets the bad rap?
    When people think of gas guzzlers they immediately think of an H1. When in fact the H1 gets 50% better fuel economy than the H2 and many other SUVs, trucks AND sports cars. Not to mention, it can run on veggie oil and polute less than a Prius...
    Plus, there are less than 12,000 H1 ever built, so that's hardly any contributor to global polution.
    As part of the H1 club, I know that very few of us use our H1s as a daily driver. It's mainly a weekend toy.
    Just saying... No need for hate, especially toward a limited edition vehicle which most people rarely ever drive. I've had mine for 7 years and have put less than 18,000 miles. The last 8,000 of which ran on biodiesel.
    So just redirect your hate toward the H2s and the other SUVs and leave us H1-ers alone ;-)

P.S. I've had two stupid tree huggers change their attitude toward me when they found out I own an H1. I didn't bother to tell them it runs on Biodiesel and it polutes less than most any car out there. Close minded people aren't worth my time. Nothing wrong with tree huggers, as long as they are fullly educated on the matter and don't use stereotypes.

2. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

So many SUVs, trucks and sports cars get the same or Worse mpg as the Hummer, why is the Hummer the one that always gets the bad rap?
    When people think of gas guzzlers they immediately think of an H1. When in fact the H1 gets 50% better fuel economy than the H2 and many other SUVs, trucks AND sports cars. Not to mention, it can run on veggie oil and polute less than a Prius...
    Plus, there are less than 12,000 H1 ever built, so that's hardly any contributor to global polution.
    As part of the H1 club, I know that very few of us use our H1s as a daily driver. It's mainly a weekend toy.
    Just saying... No need for hate, especially toward a limited edition vehicle which most people rarely ever drive. I've had mine for 7 years and have put less than 18,000 miles. The last 8,000 of which ran on biodiesel.
    So just redirect your hate toward the H2s and the other SUVs and leave us H1-ers alone ;-)

P.S. I've had two stupid tree huggers change their attitude toward me when they found out I own an H1. I didn't bother to tell them it runs on Biodiesel and it polutes less than most any car out there. Close minded people aren't worth my time. Nothing wrong with tree huggers, as long as they are fullly educated on the matter and don't use stereotypes.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Everybody hates Hummers. Any Hummer.

Prius owners because of its poor mileage.
    Four-wheelin' people because cheaper more capable vehicles exist.
    People that actually need an SUV for work purposes would choose something more practical.
    People that like EVs know that the EV1 was killed in part to produce a Hummer.
    Everyone else because its become the standard of what is wrong with America. Oh, and its fugly.

Knowing all this. What reason would a rational person have to buy a Hummer? Any Hummer.

4. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Everybody hates Hummers. Any Hummer.

Prius owners because of its poor mileage.
    Four-wheelin' people because cheaper more capable vehicles exist.
    People that actually need an SUV for work purposes would choose something more practical.
    People that like EVs know that the EV1 was killed in part to produce a Hummer.
    Everyone else because its become the standard of what is wrong with America. Oh, and its fugly.

Knowing all this. What reason would a rational person have to buy a Hummer? Any Hummer.

5. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I can respond to all that, but it'll turn into a lenghty discussion and it's not worth it. I just laid out the facts and everyone can come to their own conclusion.

Hate all you want! Nothing more pure and beautiful than hate, as it shows true human nature and all that's wrong with our world...

6. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I can respond to all that, but it'll turn into a lenghty discussion and it's not worth it. I just laid out the facts and everyone can come to their own conclusion.

Hate all you want! Nothing more pure and beautiful than hate, as it shows true human nature and all that's wrong with our world...

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]511058[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! Its ok to hate a car. I don't hate you...

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]511058[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! Its ok to hate a car. I don't hate you...

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How can you say H1 runs on bio fuel emit less emission than Prius?

www.fuh2.com has a good explaination why many people hates H2 along with a huge collection of visual illustrations.

Hate for H1 and H3 can be due to the brand recognition at work.

10. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]511048[/snapback]</div>
    It's the same reason people love/hate the Prius. Symbolism.

The H1 is a real off-road vehicle and you are correct - hardly anyone commutes in it. It sucks on the road. They actually use it for what it is good at off-roading. It is an expensive weekend toy. It doesn't even register on the global warming radar.

On the other hand the H2 was developed as a mass-market, on-road vehicle aimed at soccer-dads as a "conspicious consumpition", "look at me, I'm a tough guy", "I bought it because I can" vechicle. That is what is creating the hostility toward the brand.

I'm sure there a are a lot of "real" Hummer guys (H1) owners who absolutely livid at GM for diluting and ruining the Hummer name.

11. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]511048[/snapback]</div>
    It's the same reason people love/hate the Prius. Symbolism.

The H1 is a real off-road vehicle and you are correct - hardly anyone commutes in it. It sucks on the road. They actually use it for what it is good at off-roading. It is an expensive weekend toy. It doesn't even register on the global warming radar.

On the other hand the H2 was developed as a mass-market, on-road vehicle aimed at soccer-dads as a "conspicious consumpition", "look at me, I'm a tough guy", "I bought it because I can" vechicle. That is what is creating the hostility toward the brand.

I'm sure there a are a lot of "real" Hummer guys (H1) owners who absolutely livid at GM for diluting and ruining the Hummer name.

12. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd lay some of the blame at the feet of CNW Marketing and their work of fiction insinuating that a Prius pollutes worse than a Hummer. If CNW Marketing had not put together that tissue of lies, maybe the Hummer-hate would have been less reflexive. :lol:

Being an expensive weekend toy / status symbol does not help the Hummer's image either. Imagine if the Hummer had been as affordable as the civilian Willys Jeep was after World War II (when every returning GI could afford one).. I'd wager the Hummer would not have that "elitist" rep and a lot more general-public affinity.

13. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd lay some of the blame at the feet of CNW Marketing and their work of fiction insinuating that a Prius pollutes worse than a Hummer. If CNW Marketing had not put together that tissue of lies, maybe the Hummer-hate would have been less reflexive. :lol:

Being an expensive weekend toy / status symbol does not help the Hummer's image either. Imagine if the Hummer had been as affordable as the civilian Willys Jeep was after World War II (when every returning GI could afford one).. I'd wager the Hummer would not have that "elitist" rep and a lot more general-public affinity.

14. LochNess

LochNess Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My problem has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle, and everything to do with the people who run out and get one because the Governator got one, and because they think it makes them look "tough".

15. LochNess

LochNess Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My problem has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle, and everything to do with the people who run out and get one because the Governator got one, and because they think it makes them look "tough".

16. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  17. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  18. Tchou

Tchou Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 06:37 AM) [snapback]511085[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it also sucks offroad, compared to lighter weight All terrain cars. A hummer simply cannot pass where some old jeep or land rover can pass without a problem.

19. Tchou

Tchou Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 06:37 AM) [snapback]511085[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it also sucks offroad, compared to lighter weight All terrain cars. A hummer simply cannot pass where some old jeep or land rover can pass without a problem.

20. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Don't even get me started on the whole biodiesel vs conventional fuel thing... It's the same nonsensical argument as the one claiming Hybrids polute more than any other car. With a little deception, some smoke and mirrors a scientist can prove any theory, including that biodiesel is more poluting than gasoline or that the Prius is more harsh on the environemnt in the long run than an SUV.
    Even if biodiesel is a major polutant (which it is not), diesel vehicles (including H1s) with innexpensive conversions can run on veggie oil and no one can argue that any vehicle running on veggie oil is cleaner than a Prius. I OWN a Prius and I LOVE it, I'm just not blinded by it.

P.S. Laurie David, one of the World's top environmentalists and Prius owner is also the biggest promoter for Biodiesel in the States. I can't wait till the "Biodiesel Plug-in Prius" comes on the market ;-) probably never, but I can dream...